follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2020, 01:22 AM   #1
JR23

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is it risky buying a used Airlift 3p kit?

Hello everyone, I’m in the market to finally get an airlift 3p system but I was wondering if it’s risky buying a used compared to getting it brand new? I don’t really know much about air suspension so I thought I’d come and ask on here. Thanks guys!
JR23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
everything's got pro's/con's.

buying a used kit means that everything is cut to the right length, and was working at one point.

but if you've never done anything similar to an air ride system, it means that there's no company support, and all you've got is a few random forums, and youtube to help you if you get stuck

the cost will be significantly less than a new kit.

but air ride is something that tends to leak once fittings are messed with. take a sealed system all a part, ship it across the country, and re-assemble, it's likely to leak.

i would say if you're a seasoned pro with electrical and pneumatic systems, building a self-sponsored show car, the lower cost of entry is worth it despite the possible hassles.

if this is on your only car that you need up and running for work in 3 days, and it's one of the first times doing air ride, get the new kit, from a reputable source, so when/if there's problems, you've got someone to lean on.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:58 PM   #3
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The way I understand it, these things leak new or used. So I'd go used. A wrx friend just went on air, new. Hes already dealing with leaks and stuff. It just happens. It the nature of the setup. My vote : used.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
buying anything used always has risks, and there is no warranty to back it up. So if it is that much of a worry save more and buy new

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
glutenpoops

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Garage
I found my dual compressor 3P kit with only 40 miles on it, drove 6 hours to the guy's house to pick it up because he was reliable. His gf didn't like air ride so he sold it and bought KW V3s lol. He sent me videos of it operating before he took it off his car. He showed me how he routed everything too and gave me advice and offered to help. The controller still had the screen protector on it everything was basically new. Just find the right person and ask why they're selling.

Installing it myself I saved more than half of what it would have been for a new kit + install. Get new airlines for sure, they're cheap, then to be extra safe just redo the leader-line connections with new teflon tape. I've only been on my used kit for about two months, but no problems at all. The connections are the most important part, just make sure you use the line cutter that comes with the kit, and follow the leak test directions - overnight, and using soap on the connections. Make sure your clearances are all good - no rubbing on the bags, no lines catching on moving parts.

Bagriders has an "emergency air ride kit" that I'm probably going to buy. Anything goes wrong it saves you from getting stuck aired out.

I say go used just be ready to be on the search for a while and find the right kit that hasn't been abused. There's always a risk yeah - worst case the manifold goes bad there's no warranty - I think a new one is around $800.
soundman98 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #6
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There’s this indian proverb that’s says basically pay more you cry once, pay less and cry over and over. Obviously the details mean everything. If it looks like a good deal go for it.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:45 AM   #7
JR23

Drives: 2015 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glutenpoops View Post
I found my dual compressor 3P kit with only 40 miles on it, drove 6 hours to the guy's house to pick it up because he was reliable. His gf didn't like air ride so he sold it and bought KW V3s lol. He sent me videos of it operating before he took it off his car. He showed me how he routed everything too and gave me advice and offered to help. The controller still had the screen protector on it everything was basically new. Just find the right person and ask why they're selling.

Installing it myself I saved more than half of what it would have been for a new kit + install. Get new airlines for sure, they're cheap, then to be extra safe just redo the leader-line connections with new teflon tape. I've only been on my used kit for about two months, but no problems at all. The connections are the most important part, just make sure you use the line cutter that comes with the kit, and follow the leak test directions - overnight, and using soap on the connections. Make sure your clearances are all good - no rubbing on the bags, no lines catching on moving parts.

Bagriders has an "emergency air ride kit" that I'm probably going to buy. Anything goes wrong it saves you from getting stuck aired out.

I say go used just be ready to be on the search for a while and find the right kit that hasn't been abused. There's always a risk yeah - worst case the manifold goes bad there's no warranty - I think a new one is around $800.
I decided to go with a new kit like most people said because I got a 3p system for 2600 which I think is a killer deal.

I did have a question for you, how does the Air Ride emergency kit work? I think it’s also smart getting it and I’m definitely looking into investing in one.
JR23 is offline   Reply With Quote