follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #15
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frs_gt86 View Post
it should look like this

cut off line from a s2000 projector

one of the best projectors out there!!

this is what im going to use for my headlight retrofit

That's a cut-off of the top of the beam. Bottom cut-off for HIDs is just as important.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
robotvoice

Drives: 07 STI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
When I looked at this website, I noticed that they are local to me. Shot them an email, and they got right back to me. I drove by their office this afternoon.

Great bunch of go-getter young bucks. We spent some time talking about the car, they looked over mine, and they made some notes.

They have a set of FR-S headlights already on order on their way to them. They plan on doing a full on bolt in replacement unit like they do for other cars, but no specific timeframe yet. I've volunteered to be a mule for them if they needed one.

I pointed them towards ft86club and mentioned our vendor forums and that this is where I heard of them. Hopefully they'll join in and become a vendor here.

If you are interested you should go to their website, to a "Contact Us" and send them an email. They were very responsive.
This is great news!! I knew those guys would be working on a solution for the FR-S. This will be a MILLION times better than any cheap HID kit you can get out there.

For those thinking this kind of retrofit would be extremely difficult, it is actually pretty straight forward since they have made all the fabrication parts you would normally have to do as simple as unbolting the old projector and bolting in the new one. The hardest part is "baking" your headlight to remove the lens but after you do it once or twice, it's VERY easy and pretty hard to mess up.

I would HIGHLY recommend you guys wait for this solution from The Retrofit Source to come out before you even think about buying a cheap HID kit.
robotvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robotvoice For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-09-2012), Fly Guy (06-09-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,965 Times in 11,387 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotvoice View Post
...I would HIGHLY recommend you guys wait for this solution from The Retrofit Source to come out before you even think about buying a cheap HID kit.
I've not used anything of theirs, but I did look at some examples they had in their shop. Really good work. They were already talking about getting the headlights in so they could get the CAD work done as soon as possible.

They are also working an a set up upgrades for the BRZ.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
VADER
Regional Moderator

Drives: VADER 86
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Please keep us up to date on this. I'm trying to avoid paying $3k for headlights that we should have received in the first place. By the way how can I get headlights like the one's on current Audi's? Are those LED's? I'm not too much of a car guru.
VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VADER For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #19
MONTEMEX3

Drives: SCION FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Dan View Post
Please keep us up to date on this. I'm trying to avoid paying $3k for headlights that we should have received in the first place. By the way how can I get headlights like the one's on current Audi's? Are those LED's? I'm not too much of a car guru.
yea the whole HID XENON and LED lighting is confusing
MONTEMEX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #20
robotvoice

Drives: 07 STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Dan View Post
Yes, those strips you see are a series of LED lights which act as DRLs on those cars (and even low/high beams on some higher end Audis and Lexuses). Most of the time they are integrated into the headlight itself but sometimes they are in their own housing, like on the BRZ.

It's possible to retrofit LED strips into headlights but I rarely see this done in a clean way. The aftermarket strips are usually very poor quality too unfortunately.
robotvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #21
Dragon86

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
if you guys want better kits, try these ones.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xtreme-HID-Kits-s/9954.htm
Dragon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #22
AshWilliams
Groovy

Drives: GMC Sierra
HID bulbs without HID lenses produce a vomit-inducing pencil beam of a light that blinds oncoming traffic and doesn't provide increased visibility. The characteristics of the light and how it focuses are different from the stock bulbs, but optics and physics never stopped anyone from trying.

The only benefitis that the blue HID tinge warns everyone that there's an oncoming wannabe tuner who at any moment may start to dureefto!

There's a reason HID conversion kits are outlawed in many jurisdictions.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #23
Double4Free
Ashes to ashes.

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon86 View Post
if you guys want better kits, try these ones.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xtreme-HID-Kits-s/9954.htm
I refuse to buy anything from a website who uses the word "extreme" for anything car related. Dont even get me started on the use of "Xtreme"...
Double4Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #24
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
FRS and BRZ headlights have been confirmed to be the same.. I'm not sure how expensive it will be to buy BRZ headlights.. but you can swap them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Jeff View Post
Ok one more update to the post!
For 100% the bumper area for the headlights is different. For 100% the headlights ARE the same shape!

With the bumper on, the headlights are different widths. You can see in that other picture that there is a difference about about 1.5". This is indicated by the little plastic lip on the BRZ.

I pulled the bumper off the BRZ and look what I found!

You can see with the bumper removed that there is a plastic piece covering up this corner. Removing this small piece makes both the FR-S and BRZ headlight the exact same shape! This also means, customers can do some swapping out of headlights!

Glad we got to the bottom of that!
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #25
Dragon86

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double4Free View Post
I refuse to buy anything from a website who uses the word "extreme" for anything car related. Dont even get me started on the use of "Xtreme"...

I can't blame you for not trusting something thats not a formal brand. These kits can be bought local from where i am. If you want something quality over $60-90 HID kits, these are the ones to go for Premium HID kits. In japan kits from BJ union and IPF HID kits cost $800-850 U.S.
Dragon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #26
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshWilliams View Post
HID bulbs without HID lenses produce a vomit-inducing pencil beam of a light that blinds oncoming traffic and doesn't provide increased visibility. The characteristics of the light and how it focuses are different from the stock bulbs, but optics and physics never stopped anyone from trying.

The only benefitis that the blue HID tinge warns everyone that there's an oncoming wannabe tuner who at any moment may start to dureefto!

There's a reason HID conversion kits are outlawed in many jurisdictions.
Never heard that HID conversions are outlawed, nor have I heard many incidents, at least in Ohio, where someone was ticketed for an illegal headlight mod. Someone could be pulled over for the cop thinking the brights are on, but they are more of an annoyance than illegal.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote