follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Jacob G.

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Help! Squirrel finder issue!

So I recently installed a new HID kit and did the squirrel finder mash down but since my drivers side wasnt really right i kept pushing and now it seems the more I push the worse the doming of the light... Anyone have a suggestion on how to correct this other than getting a new projector? Also the drivers side seems slightly brighter is that normal or maybe could that be from my mashing though it has always seemed a little brighter? I always used gloves to protect the bulb and these are morimoto ballasts and lights.
Jacob G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
mezdup

Drives: 2014 Ice Silver WRX
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob G. View Post
So I recently installed a new HID kit and did the squirrel finder mash down but since my drivers side wasnt really right i kept pushing and now it seems the more I push the worse the doming of the light... Anyone have a suggestion on how to correct this other than getting a new projector? Also the drivers side seems slightly brighter is that normal or maybe could that be from my mashing though it has always seemed a little brighter? I always used gloves to protect the bulb and these are morimoto ballasts and lights.
take some pictures of your lights against a wall
mezdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Jacob G.

Garage
Name:  headlights.JPG
Views: 1263
Size:  93.4 KB
I have already lowered the drivers side so I wouldn't blind people but it looks terrible on the wall. Looking directly at the car from the front they both look the same for the most part just the big difference is the intensity from inside the cabin
Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Precisionleds

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Attachment 29301
I have already lowered the drivers side so I wouldn't blind people but it looks terrible on the wall. Looking directly at the car from the front they both look the same for the most part just the big difference is the intensity from inside the cabin
I believe you need a new projector. The drivers side headlamp should not be stronger than the passenger side. Actually, the passenger side should be "more powerful", as the cutoff is aimed higher than the drivers side to not blind oncoming drivers.

Wish you the best of luck!
Precisionleds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Precisionleds For This Useful Post:
Jacob G. (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #5
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionleds View Post
I believe you need a new projector. The drivers side headlamp should not be stronger than the passenger side. Actually, the passenger side should be "more powerful", as the cutoff is aimed higher than the drivers side to not blind oncoming drivers.

Wish you the best of luck!
What? Both sides should be just as powerful. The passenger side may appear brighter, but that's an optical illusion (and for another topic). Also, the cutoff should be even on both sides.

Op- looks as though you were mashing down on the cutoff shield, which is why the cutoff is now, uhhh, not cut off. You could bend it back, but getting a new projector would be best. Now is a good time to do the Retrofit Source Retro-Quick install.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Jacob G. (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
Jacob G.

Garage
After reading every post possible before doing this not one person suggested it was possible to screw up the cut off. I just pushed on the metal piece that appeared to be the squirrel finder. This is what I get for thinking any car project is as easy as people say it is. Everyone goes push on those suckers hard and so I did, now my headlight is ruined... Great! Not saying it's anyone but my fault just frustrated bc I didn't know I could ruin my headlight. Other drivers be warned...
Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
mezdup

Quote:
After reading every post possible before doing this not one person suggested it was possible to screw up the cut off. I just pushed on the metal piece that appeared to be the squirrel finder. This is what I get for thinking any car project is as easy as people say it is. Everyone goes push on those suckers hard and so I did, now my headlight is ruined... Great! Not saying it's anyone but my fault just frustrated bc I didn't know I could ruin my headlight. Other drivers be warned...
i found that they didn't need to be mashed all that hard as they seemed pretty flimsy. i simply pushed it down and held it in place for a bit and that was it. i think you may have just overdone it. sorry man.

edit: before you do anything drastic, try putting your old bulbs back and see how that looks. at least this way you can rule out the HID bulbs from being the issue.

Last edited by mezdup; 02-28-2013 at 07:44 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mezdup For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (02-28-2013), Jacob G. (02-28-2013), SkAsphalt (03-01-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Jacob G.

Garage
Is anyone familiar with the internals of the projector? I would like to try to fix it before I do a complete retrofit which I don't feel completely comfortable with. I'm going to pick up something so I can pull the pieces back but I still would like to know what exactly I'm looking for other than the squirrel finders
Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
GH05T
Undercover Batman

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I was hoping to see some squirrels in this thread. I am vastly disappointed.

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling." - Jeremy Clarkson
GH05T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GH05T For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (02-28-2013), PNW FRS (03-01-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
mezdup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH05T View Post
I was hoping to see some squirrels in this thread. I am vastly disappointed.
even if this thread was about actual squirrels, it's called 'squirrel finder issue' so you shouldn't have expected to see squirrels as he would have been having a tough time finding them. that being said, i'd love to see some squirrels.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezdup View Post
edit: before you do anything drastic, try putting your old bulbs back and see how that looks. at least this way you can rule out the HID bulbs from being the issue.
This is actually a very good point. A defective bulb could cause an issue with the cut off pattern.

Quote:
Is anyone familiar with the internals of the projector? I would like to try to fix it before I do a complete retrofit which I don't feel completely comfortable with. I'm going to pick up something so I can pull the pieces back but I still would like to know what exactly I'm looking for other than the squirrel finders
I will have to take a look in my attic for the stock projectors. I can take some pics of the them for you.

BTW, the RetroQuik kit is very easy to install. Replacing the stock projector with another stock projector takes the same amount of time and work as installing the kit. That is assuming youre unable to bend the stock shield back into place.

Also, @Precisionleds - Didn't mean to come across as a prick in my last post. I was working overnight and very cranky.
Jacob G. (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Jacob G.

Garage
Yeah I thought about doing a retrofit after this but just looking at my options for getting a stock replacement
Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yeah I thought about doing a retrofit after this but just looking at my options for getting a stock replacement
Stock projector parts will cost you more, unless you buy them used.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Precisionleds

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
What? Both sides should be just as powerful. The passenger side may appear brighter, but that's an optical illusion (and for another topic). Also, the cutoff should be even on both sides.

Op- looks as though you were mashing down on the cutoff shield, which is why the cutoff is now, uhhh, not cut off. You could bend it back, but getting a new projector would be best. Now is a good time to do the Retrofit Source Retro-Quick install.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Precisely why I put more powerful in quotes. I mentioned it looks more powerful because of the optical illusion. All good haha.

Jacob, I recommend doing some kind of retrofit. Depends how wild you would want to go, but, if you're going to pay for another projector, might as well upgrade while you're at it right? I recommend an upgrade to your current projectors to true HID bixenon projectors! And you know who'll have what you need!
Precisionleds is offline   Reply With Quote