follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #29
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
oh $hit... they are starting to enforce it now... time to sell the car...
I'll give you $5.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-20-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 01:10 AM   #30
hachigoku

Drives: BRZ, E90 M3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norotor View Post
Any update on this situation? I'm in a similar boat with a forged engine and head work. I'd rather they not touch my engine but it doesn't seem like they would accept the fact that the original valve springs aren't even in there anymore. At this point I'm considering buying a cheap, likely high mileage fa20 to swap in solely for the recall work to be checked off, then swapping my forged/turbo setup back in afterwards.

I could have sworn there was a post here a while back with a member claiming that he had a 2015+ FA20 swapped in, and the dealer waived the recall. I'll have to try to search for it.
Information above ^.

Recall was done. So far I've done 3k miles and also a track day. Seems like it's doing ok.

What specific information are you looking for on an update?
hachigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:27 AM   #31
Norotor

Drives: '13 FRS '18 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hachigoku View Post
Information above ^.

Recall was done. So far I've done 3k miles and also a track day. Seems like it's doing ok.

What specific information are you looking for on an update?

My mistake, I meant to reply to speedls92 since he hasn't gotten the recall done. I'll PM him.
Norotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:48 PM   #32
speedyls92

Drives: 2013 FRS
Hi - Im going to wait until the renewal notice comes in and I will go to the DMV with the "statement of facts" and see if they will take it, the link to the form is below, likely section G needs to be filled/explained.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...=AJPERES&CVID=

I also was thinking that I could by-pass the DMV and try a 3rd party registration service and see how that goes.

My renewal notice will likely be here in the next month and ill keep you all posted.
speedyls92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:44 AM   #33
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Same scenario here... 2016 motor in my 2013. You will need to do the following to clear the DMV recall block. Make sure you have a receipt of engine replacement, or go to a dealer who can confirm the motor is not 2013 by inspection. Once you have written proof, call Subaru corporate and state you need them to approve your local dealer to fill out and sign the ORANGE proof of correction form. This form is your ticket to renew your car. I had to email the Vin from the car, engine, and receipt of the install to only get a typed corporate letter. Subaru corporate doesn't even know about this ORANGE form, so stress you need them to approve the signing of the form at the local dealer of your choosing. Take the form and your renewal with you to dmv, and pay in person.
Lonewolf (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #34
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
Same scenario here... 2016 motor in my 2013. You will need to do the following to clear the DMV recall block. Make sure you have a receipt of engine replacement, or go to a dealer who can confirm the motor is not 2013 by inspection. Once you have written proof, call Subaru corporate and state you need them to approve your local dealer to fill out and sign the ORANGE proof of correction form. This form is your ticket to renew your car. I had to email the Vin from the car, engine, and receipt of the install to only get a typed corporate letter. Subaru corporate doesn't even know about this ORANGE form, so stress you need them to approve the signing of the form at the local dealer of your choosing. Take the form and your renewal with you to dmv, and pay in person.

I'm not familiar with this process (and need to research this). So doing all this allowed you to register your MY 2013 car in CA without the recall having been performed?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #35
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
I'm not familiar with this process (and need to research this). So doing all this allowed you to register your MY 2013 car in CA without the recall having been performed?

Only if you don't have a 2013 engine in it, it looks like to me.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:25 AM   #36
hachigoku

Drives: BRZ, E90 M3
If this helps anyone's peace of mind. I have done two track days with the recall work and I have put in over 4000 miles. Nothing has gone kaboom.
hachigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #37
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
So you need to Orange form plus the paperwork on the swap to show DMV?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #38
speedyls92

Drives: 2013 FRS
Hi everyone

Another update on my situation . *** GOT MY VERPOC ***

I just decided to make an appointment at a different dealership than the one i initially spoke to. A few days before my appointment I called and asked for the Service Dept Manager and explained the situation to him.

He told me to defer the appointment until he could speak to Toyota Corporate.

He called me back the same day and suggested I bring it in the following week, just ask for him.

When i arrived that morning, he took me over to a service advisor and explained that we will be confirming that the engine (2015) was not subject to recall, if it was needed, they were going to do the recall on the 2015 engine (Nice surprise that they would do that). If it was confirmed that the new engine is not subject to the recall they would clear the recall "flag" on the car. All this was free of charge.

When I went to pick up the car, they said the engine is not subject to the recall, and gave me the VERPOC.

Now they also said that they still want Toyota to remove the recall "flag" from the VIN so that registration would not be impacted for future years. ( Im still following up on this, but for now i'm out of the woods. I have made copies of my VerPOC for added evidence if this comes up again).

On another note- A third party registration service might give you a sticker, the system wont block it, but the DMV renewal does ask for PROOF. Depends on the registration service is my guess.

**UPDATE** - Just checked the NHTSA Recall site and it looks like the VIN shows 0 outstanding recalls. Seems like Toyota did the right thing for me! Thanks Toyota!

Last edited by speedyls92; 12-04-2019 at 06:03 PM.
speedyls92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to speedyls92 For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (12-11-2019), Lantanafrs2 (12-11-2019), Tcoat (12-04-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #39
carlossanchez89
2Supras1FR-S

Drives: 13 Scion FR-S, 87 Supra
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Hello everyone,

This recall thing is really really dumb. I've had my FR-S since December of 2013 and now the DMV wont renew my tags unless I get the work done on the valves. The problem is my car has been turbo charged since 2013. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my engine, and I've been on E85 since 2013 as well. I dont think any dealer would be working on the car with my turbo kit slapped on. I also no longer have any of the stock parts to swap back in to take it into the dealership. So what should I do next? This really blows.
carlossanchez89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #40
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlossanchez89 View Post
Hello everyone,

This recall thing is really really dumb. I've had my FR-S since December of 2013 and now the DMV wont renew my tags unless I get the work done on the valves. The problem is my car has been turbo charged since 2013. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my engine, and I've been on E85 since 2013 as well. I dont think any dealer would be working on the car with my turbo kit slapped on. I also no longer have any of the stock parts to swap back in to take it into the dealership. So what should I do next? This really blows.
I would call a dealer before taking any suggestions. I'm sure others have been through this already
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
carlossanchez89 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:01 PM   #41
carlossanchez89
2Supras1FR-S

Drives: 13 Scion FR-S, 87 Supra
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyls92 View Post
Hi - Im going to wait until the renewal notice comes in and I will go to the DMV with the "statement of facts" and see if they will take it, the link to the form is below, likely section G needs to be filled/explained.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...=AJPERES&CVID=

I also was thinking that I could by-pass the DMV and try a 3rd party registration service and see how that goes.

My renewal notice will likely be here in the next month and ill keep you all posted.
Any updates on this?
carlossanchez89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:28 AM   #42
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlossanchez89 View Post
Hello everyone,

I waited a year after getting the recall notice to do anything about it, to see whether it indeed was necessary to register my car in CA. It was supercharged (Edelbrock) for the past few years. Took it to the dealer, and was told it had to be returned to stock - they did not want the liability or blame if anything went wrong with removing the aftermarket components. Contacted Subaru of America to help with the situation but they agreed with the dealership.

So, I just had to bite the bullet and had the supercharger uninstalled by the same folks who installed it (CSG), and everything returned to stock (I had retained all the stock components). I just dropped it off at the dealership this week to get the recall done.

I'm not going to re-install the supercharger when I get my car back, and I plan on selling the kit. I just haven't put it up for sale yet. This whole recall deal really pissed me off.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote