follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #3319
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
Thank you for this. I will read into the SM rules. I was thrown into DP the past weekend and no one seemed to have many answers for me. I am trying to figure out a class that I can compete in that I can convert my track oriented car into but I fear the is to far track focused for autox. After I posted that I realized it will be harder than I thought. Maybe I will just prep my Honda prelude for autocross. You guys have been a huge help. I really appreciate it.

There will always be a class - you may just never be competitive. If you're there to learn and to improve, and don't mind simply looking for improvements every run (competing against yourself), find the right spot. That might be XP. Locally you may still win, with no competitors - you thought $M was expensive!

Suspension setups are ideally different enough that you'll be compromising one way or another, regardless. And I'm not sure the Prelude is competitive any longer, so you may be looking at an uphill battle either way.

As far as I can tell, the rear diffuser isn't legal in anything other than XP, and I haven't read those rules. I made my Verus rear diffuser easy to remove with a bit of custom work on the swaybar mount side of things, so that's certainly one of the more easily solved bits.

Prepared (DP in this case, I think? or maybe not yet) may be a fit, again you'd have to check the rules on splitters and stuff. I don't know about the hood vents there either. That's super-wide Hoosier territory though. All of these options are Hoosier territory, so hopefully your local club has a 'T' (indexed, run street tires) class of sorts.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #3320
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
For those of you who daily drive your STX cars, what ride height are you using? I've found a 1.5" drop seems to be good for Autox, but it can be pretty brutal on the streets around here. Trying to figure out the best compromise that's tolerable for daily driving. BTW I'm on RCE Tarmac 2's with the standard 400/400 springs.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #3321
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
There will always be a class - you may just never be competitive. If you're there to learn and to improve, and don't mind simply looking for improvements every run (competing against yourself), find the right spot. That might be XP. Locally you may still win, with no competitors - you thought $M was expensive!

Suspension setups are ideally different enough that you'll be compromising one way or another, regardless. And I'm not sure the Prelude is competitive any longer, so you may be looking at an uphill battle either way.

As far as I can tell, the rear diffuser isn't legal in anything other than XP, and I haven't read those rules. I made my Verus rear diffuser easy to remove with a bit of custom work on the swaybar mount side of things, so that's certainly one of the more easily solved bits.

Prepared (DP in this case, I think? or maybe not yet) may be a fit, again you'd have to check the rules on splitters and stuff. I don't know about the hood vents there either. That's super-wide Hoosier territory though. All of these options are Hoosier territory, so hopefully your local club has a 'T' (indexed, run street tires) class of sorts.
Honing my driving skills and beating a few friends is the only reason I autocross in the first place. I am not looking to compete nationally or anything. I was prepared to remove the splitter, end plates, diffuser, MC brace, lower arm braces, switch pads, new wheels/tires and everything easy like that. But toe arms, steering bushings and hood vents would be a little more involved. lol. And putting the interior back in is not an option. It is very clear STX wont be my class but I will search for a class that I am closer to once I remove those items.

How do you guys correct your alignment when you lower your cars without using toe arms? The rears camber in and toe out naturally when lowered. Is the OEM toe adjustment enough?
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website

Last edited by Takumi788; 06-04-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #3322
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Honing my driving skills and beating a few friends is the only reason I autocross in the first place. I am not looking to compete nationally or anything. I was prepared to remove the splitter, end plates, diffuser, MC brace, lower arm braces, switch pads, new wheels/tires and everything easy like that. But toe arms, steering bushings and hood vents would be a little more involved. lol. And putting the interior back in is not an option. It is very clear STX wont be my class but I will search for a class that I am closer to once I remove those items.

How do you guys correct your alignment when you lower your cars without using toe arms? The rears camber in and toe out naturally when lowered. Is the OEM toe adjustment enough?
OE toe is enough. Most of us also have rear LCA with a bushing end (spherical isn't permitted in the rules). If you can't get there with stock, you have to find a setting where you can.

Steering bushings you could just swap to something legal like the Whiteline. I think there may be a delrin set somewhere too. No more metal than stock is the rule... Unless what you have isn't metal.

Check the rules on the splitter, you may be able to keep it wherever you land.
Takumi788 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #3323
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
For those of you who daily drive your STX cars, what ride height are you using? I've found a 1.5" drop seems to be good for Autox, but it can be pretty brutal on the streets around here. Trying to figure out the best compromise that's tolerable for daily driving. BTW I'm on RCE Tarmac 2's with the standard 400/400 springs.
I'm at 25.5" front and 25.25" rear, not having any issues daily driving. Just have to be a little careful on driveways but really nothing different than normal sportscar things. The S2000 scrapes the front on far more stuff than this car.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony_r For This Useful Post:
smg1138 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #3324
jbailey8748

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ
Garage
Quote:
The oe arm has some adjustment in it. If you haven't used after market rear lcas I don't think you can get the camber far enough out from lowering for the toe arm no to adjust to it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
jbailey8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #3325
jbailey8748

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
I am 3/4" lower rear and 1" front. And don't have that bad of a time. Might have gone lower but research told me that 1" and lower in the rear causes axle problems

The Following User Says Thank You to jbailey8748 For This Useful Post:
smg1138 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #3326
jbailey8748

Garage
I know hood vents are illegal for street touring classes but am having a hard time finding where in the rule book it says that. Also if fully stx built where does hood vents alone land you?

Old 06-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #3327
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey8748 View Post
I know hood vents are illegal for street touring classes but am having a hard time finding where in the rule book it says that. Also if fully stx built where does hood vents alone land you?

The rule book is a list of what is allowed, not a list of what is not allowed.

Street modified allows changes to hoods, and notes at the beginning that its listed allowances are in addition to those allowances from Street touring, Street Prepared.

Note that street prepared specifically allows flared fenders, but no modification inboard of the wheel hubs.

Hoods are not mentioned in the Street touring rules. Thus, hood modifications are not allowed.

As such, adding hood vents to your STX car would place you in Street Modified.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:29 PM   #3328
rick s

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any aero kits allowed on FRS or BRZ? Asking for a friend!
rick s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:00 PM   #3329
jbailey8748

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick s View Post
Any aero kits allowed on FRS or BRZ? Asking for a friend!
Only oem stuff if it were avaliable on a production model as I understand it

The Following User Says Thank You to jbailey8748 For This Useful Post:
rick s (06-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #3330
jbailey8748

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
]
Hoods are not mentioned in the Street touring rules. Thus, hood modifications are not allowed.

As such, adding hood vents to your STX car would place you in Street Modified.
Thanks buddy. A rule I don't understand. Seems silly you can't add weight to our hood and it effects engine longevity in a good way.
STX was fun while it lasted. If the seat rules go into place I would have been out on that anyway.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:13 PM   #3331
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey8748 View Post
Thanks buddy. A rule I don't understand. Seems silly you can't add weight to our hood and it effects engine longevity in a good way.
STX was fun while it lasted. If the seat rules go into place I would have been out on that anyway.

Cutting holes in the roof simply isn’t within the spirit of the class. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #3332
jbailey8748

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Cutting holes in the roof simply isn’t within the spirit of the class. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roof? Maybe not. Hood I don't see it. Seems withing the spirit. No real benefit to anything other than hood temperatures. I say if the finished product isn't lighter than the oem hood and it serves no other purpose than evacuating heat from the engine bay then what's the problem.