follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #15
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaDuck View Post
I have never had any cooling issues of any kind until this happened. My oil temp has never gone above 230F, and thats with no oil cooler, and I have never seen my coolant temp go above 197F. The whole cooling system is stock.

Thats why Im hoping its something simple, like an improper bleed, or in this case, no bleed at all, or a faulty thermostat. Unless something else happened right at the moment the hose blew off.
It could be as simple as a coolant hose not tightened properly during turbo kit install and coming loose over time.

Improper bleeding would explain your issues after the incident.
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:32 PM   #16
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You mentioned a plume of white smoke from the exhaust. Just to be on the safe side, I'd check for a blown head gasket. If it failed during a sustained high rpm-high load run the pressure spike in the cooling system could easily blow a cooling hose off. In addition, white smoke from the exhaust indicates an engine burning coolant and is a classic symptom of a blown head gasket.
Ultramaroon (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 12:28 AM   #17
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,510 Times in 18,915 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Unfortunately, even the shortest burst of white smoke is a bad thing. @Capt Spaulding is on point.

Look for soot or oil in your coolant. You'll see it build up on the inside wall of your reservoir.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #18
FaDuck

Drives: 2014 UltraMarine FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
@Capt Spaulding @Ultramaroon It was most definitely a nice big plume of white smoke.

Ill try to check the reservoir... But with the MAPerformance kit, they have to remove the stock reservoir and put in a custom one. So all it is, is essentially a small tin can, and you cant really see inside of it.

There is a shop I trust right next to my work... Ill go talk to the owner and see if he can slip my car in to run some tests.
FaDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FaDuck For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (07-26-2017), Ultramaroon (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #19
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I have never had any cooling issues of any kind until this happened. My oil temp has never gone above 230F, and thats with no oil cooler, and I have never seen my coolant temp go above 197F. The whole cooling system is stock.

Thats why Im hoping its something simple, like an improper bleed, or in this case, no bleed at all, or a faulty thermostat. Unless something else happened right at the moment the hose blew off.
I'd be willing to bet it's the thermostat. Swap it with an OEM part and bleed it properly. Everything else is just an upgrade.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #20
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Do an oil change and inspect the oil for signs of coolant contamination. Also inspect your coolant for signs of oil contamination, do a hydrocarbon test on the coolant. That plume of white smoke should not have happened. IMHO your thermostat is working fine, but the engine is building heat quickly and the radiator is able to manage it, but the heat is building due to some sort of leak (probably head gasket).
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (07-26-2017), FaDuck (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 11:14 PM   #21
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Lol, OP had massive coolant spillage all over the engine bay and you guys assume his head gasket is blown instead of some of that coolant making its way to the intake and being thrown out as white smoke..
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OND For This Useful Post:
NOI (08-03-2017), Tcoat (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 12:55 AM   #22
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,510 Times in 18,915 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Lol, you make a good point but deliver it kind of d!ckishly.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:50 AM   #23
FaDuck

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OND View Post
Lol, OP had massive coolant spillage all over the engine bay and you guys assume his head gasket is blown instead of some of that coolant making its way to the intake and being thrown out as white smoke..
That thought had crossed my mind, and Im really really hoping that is the case.

Every single inch of the engine bay is covered in dried up coolant, and I even did my best to wipe some of it up. It used to look so beautiful
Old 07-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
That thought had crossed my mind, and Im really really hoping that is the case.

Every single inch of the engine bay is covered in dried up coolant, and I even did my best to wipe some of it up. It used to look so beautiful
How did you know that the "white smoke" was actually coming out of the tail pipes in the first place? Not like you could see them from in the car. Could it have just been a puff of steam coming from under the car when it blew?
NOI (08-03-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #25
FaDuck

Garage
I spoke with the owner of the shop, so he is well aware of my situation. But he will not be able to get to it till next week.

So its a waiting game for now.
@Tcoat FYI I spoke with LJ at Fullblown, and they use a 65C thermostat for all their builds, so I was thinking about picking one of them up.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #26
FaDuck

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
How did you know that the "white smoke" was actually coming out of the tail pipes in the first place? Not like you could see them from in the car. Could it have just been a puff of steam coming from under the car when it blew?
That could very well be.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #27
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I spoke with the owner of the shop, so he is well aware of my situation. But he will not be able to get to it till next week.

So its a waiting game for now.
@Tcoat FYI I spoke with LJ at Fullblown, and they use a 65C thermostat for all their builds, so I was thinking about picking one of them up.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd7FJtZfGXo"]How To Install: Mishimoto 2012+Subaru BRZ Scion FR-S Toyota GT86 Racing Thermostat - YouTube[/ame]

follow these directions with a quality thermostat, (i.e. NOT mishimoto,) and you can do it on your own.

Edit: This link may also be helpful. Mishimoto says to just turn your heat on high lol. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9883
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
FaDuck (07-27-2017), Tcoat (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #28
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
That could very well be.
I think is pretty safe to rule out any head gasket issues at this point. Some people here like to head straight to the worst case scenario instead of starting at the basics and working their way up. From everything you have said there is no indication that you have any head gasket problems.

Some other things to consider are:

Rad cap - The rad cap opens and closes under certain pressures (I have no clue what they are) not by temperature. When a certain pressure is reached it opens slightly and lets a very small amount of coolant into the overflow tank. When the pressure drops it sucks that coolant back into the rad. In an over temp situation the cap opens even more in order to release pressure and prevent damage to the engine. The overflow tank and the hose leading to it are never exposed to high pressure under normal situations so for you to blow that hose off you went into a high pressure situation and the cap opened all the way. I have seen special caps for sale (a TRD one at least) that open at a higher pressure to prevent this scenario when running a modified engine. They would still be within a "safe" range of pressure but higher than stock so it may be another worthwhile addition for you.

Fans - It is possible that one or even both fans are not kicking in soon enough for your engine mods. This is another thing that could be indicated by the fact that when you ran the heater it leveled out a bit. Either you did not get enough flow (thermostat) or there was not enough air moving through the rad (fan) and you hit the critical temperature/pressure to blow the coolant out.

Hoses - You could have a collapsed hose someplace that is restricting flow. This is probably the easiest of all to check but also the least likely.

Low coolant - It is possible that you were low on coolant before it blew. Of course that would allow the temperature and pressure to build. From what you have said though I think you would have noticed that since it would have been a gradual increase in your operating temperature and you would not have had the consistent readings you have stated. The answer that has been said already. You just need to fill and bleed the system.
FaDuck (07-27-2017)