follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #15
mscamp02

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJesus View Post
If youre not an audiophile then $500 is good enough.

How are you at wiring?

If you dont like stock then get an android HU since its has alot of usability and much cheaper than most touchscreen headunit. For example low end touch screen unit starts out at $300 for the most basic function such as radio, bt, and aux. Compare this to an android unit where you get a ton more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Android-4...pVlLh9&vxp=mtr
you can grab something as listed above.
Dont forget adapter for your car if youre going this route.

This is just my opinion i rather prefer android based over regular touch HU. As of now im looking to upgrade my headunit for an android base but i gotta sell my stock BRZ HU first. I travel ALOT so having some sort of unit that can stream online radio, youtube etc will be a plus for me.
I have an eonon hu but picked up a 100mmx200mm which is a direct fitment for all toyotas, so no kit needed for fitment. It came with a wiring harness but I had to repin the amp wire(super easy) and the rest was plug and play

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
mscamp02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #16
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscamp02 View Post
I have an eonon hu but picked up a 100mmx200mm which is a direct fitment for all toyotas, so no kit needed for fitment. It came with a wiring harness but I had to repin the amp wire(super easy) and the rest was plug and play

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
wow sounds good! Is there a link to yours?
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #17
FR-Slide

Drives: 13 Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
wow sounds good! Is there a link to yours?
I think his is one of the ones talked about here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80493

@B-R-Z was raving about eonon, which is kinda what prompted me to look into those and Ca-Fi as options. Buuuut then when I thought about what I actually wanted/needed out of a HU, I kinda wavered back to an OEM unit (like you suggested above).

I was trying to avoid running my phone as a hotspot, but the idea of having a better maps/traffic app, as well as pandora and stuff is really what I want. Right now, I have to use my phone for that, and since there's no good place for it to sit, using Nav is a total PITA.
FR-Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #18
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Slide View Post
I think his is one of the ones talked about here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80493

@B-R-Z was raving about eonon, which is kinda what prompted me to look into those and Ca-Fi as options. Buuuut then when I thought about what I actually wanted/needed out of a HU, I kinda wavered back to an OEM unit (like you suggested above).
f having a better maps/traffic app, as well as pandora and stuff is really what I want. Right now, I have to use my phone for that, and since there's no good place for it to sit, using Nav is a total PITA.
Cafi is really expensive. Just get Enon if you're going to upgrade. Total with wiring should be less than 400. Get freedom pop hotspot or sim. It's a upfront fee of 30 and you get 500mb of data each month which is all that you need for GPS. For streaming music you xan get a hotspot device or pay a monthly fee for data each month.

If you stay stock then get one of those magnetic car mounts or a cd drive mount. If you're not the type of person who cares about how your radio looked then stick with stock since the stock frs headunit are actually good for Bluetooth streaming when comparing to brz touch screen.

Let me know if you need help deciding on which car mount or HU. I have both the magnetic mount and the cd mount.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #19
FR-Slide

Now I'm even more confused on what to do, haha.

I thought it sounded like an OEM option would be the best bet for simplicity and reliability. I don't actually need to be able to play angry birds in traffic, and I don't really want to have to purchase a SIM card or data plan for my head unit. So, I thought that Android was overkill for what I needed or was planning to use it for, no?

But if that's the case, and the OEM options out of a BRZ are terrible/annoying/whatever, then what do people use instead?
Old 12-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #20
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Garage
Quote:
Now I'm even more confused on what to do, haha.

I thought it sounded like an OEM option would be the best bet for simplicity and reliability. I don't actually need to be able to play angry birds in traffic, and I don't really want to have to purchase a SIM card or data plan for my head unit. So, I thought that Android was overkill for what I needed or was planning to use it for, no?

But if that's the case, and the OEM options out of a BRZ are terrible/annoying/whatever, then what do people use instead?
Haha im not trying to confuse you!

I was trying to say that you should just stay with the one you have now if you only use streaming and navigation on your phone. Just buy a phone mount and voila.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:23 PM   #21
FR-Slide

Quote:
Haha im not trying to confuse you!

I was trying to say that you should just stay with the one you have now if you only use streaming and navigation on your phone. Just buy a phone mount and voila.
Yeah, but then the dash looks fugly cause of that gross orange and black 1996 looking HU.

If I'm honest, the main reason (aside from actually having an easily viewable screen for nav and song/track info) is to make the interior look better and more up-to-date. I've already swapped out all the cheap plastic with alcantara, so the HU really sticks out badly.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #22
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, but then the dash looks fugly cause of that gross orange and black 1996 looking HU.

If I'm honest, the main reason (aside from actually having an easily viewable screen for nav and song/track info) is to make the interior look better and more up-to-date. I've already swapped out all the cheap plastic with alcantara, so the HU really sticks out badly.
Okay. Go with enon android that i listed above. You can still use bluetooth to stream your music. Use your hotspot for navigation etc. The oem brz hu is expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackJesus For This Useful Post:
FR-Slide (12-02-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #23
shadoken

Drives: FRS RS 1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am kinda in the same boat as you. I wanna get in on the Android HU too. I have a monoamp and a Subwoofer so I have no idea how the Audio quality might get affected. Dont wanna screw up something.

I dont think NAV is a huge problem , you can just download and keep maps on the SD card. If theres some occasional location that isnt already there , you can just use your phone hotspot.

Do these units have Bluetooth/USB tethering? I have an iPhone so sadly I cant hook up to Android auto

Last edited by shadoken; 12-01-2015 at 06:34 PM.
shadoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #24
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
The orange lighting on the Eonon unit looks very close to the OEM dash/clock lighting, I'd say its a 94.56% match. If you look close you can tell it's a hair more orange, but it's close enough where it looks like it matches. Trust me, I have OCD, if it didn't match I would have already replaced the LED back lighting on it. I can snap some pictures if you'd like.

The wifi thing was an issue for me as well, initially. I started off with a Freedom Pop mobile hotspot, which worked well because it was free (500mb/month IIRC). The annoyance I had was a) keeping it charged and b) it was an annoyance to power it on when I needed it. I have since rooted my phone so now I just connect to my phone as a wifi hotspot. Much easier, more convenient, always has a charge, more data, and faster data. I never understood how some people connect directly to 3g through the unit, but I think many of them are overseas where the carriers are different than in the states.

"which means that you're then piggy-backing WiFi off of your phone, which is already feeding the HU" - I don't know what you mean here. What you do is enable mobile hotspot on your phone, then search for that wireless network on the HU and connect to it. What do you mean by "which is already feeding the HU"?

I think there are android navigation apps out there that do not require a data connection. I prefer Waze because my commute home from work has frequent traffic issues so it helps me to avoid that.

I've had this unit for 1 year now and still completely happy with it. I hardly use anything on it except for music, waze navigation, and occasionally Torque, but it's nice to be able to load whatever app you want on the fly.

Don't think about it as 'is this overkill', this is the best bang for your buck hands down. Like I said, I use it mostly for music and it navigates way better than any unit I've ever owned. I have all of my music loaded on a 32gb micro-sd so its as easy as swiping right on the music app to see music folders, and swipe left to see a track list in that folder. I can snap pics of the music app if you want. On top of all of this, you have options for which ROM you want to use, you can install customized roms or customized parts of the rom. There is a huge active thread on XDA dedicated to these radios and tweaking them.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #25
FR-Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
The orange lighting on the Eonon unit looks very close to the OEM dash/clock lighting, I'd say its a 94.56% match. If you look close you can tell it's a hair more orange, but it's close enough where it looks like it matches. Trust me, I have OCD, if it didn't match I would have already replaced the LED back lighting on it. I can snap some pictures if you'd like.

The wifi thing was an issue for me as well, initially. I started off with a Freedom Pop mobile hotspot, which worked well because it was free (500mb/month IIRC). The annoyance I had was a) keeping it charged and b) it was an annoyance to power it on when I needed it. I have since rooted my phone so now I just connect to my phone as a wifi hotspot. Much easier, more convenient, always has a charge, more data, and faster data. I never understood how some people connect directly to 3g through the unit, but I think many of them are overseas where the carriers are different than in the states.

"which means that you're then piggy-backing WiFi off of your phone, which is already feeding the HU" - I don't know what you mean here. What you do is enable mobile hotspot on your phone, then search for that wireless network on the HU and connect to it. What do you mean by "which is already feeding the HU"?

I think there are android navigation apps out there that do not require a data connection. I prefer Waze because my commute home from work has frequent traffic issues so it helps me to avoid that.

I've had this unit for 1 year now and still completely happy with it. I hardly use anything on it except for music, waze navigation, and occasionally Torque, but it's nice to be able to load whatever app you want on the fly.

Don't think about it as 'is this overkill', this is the best bang for your buck hands down. Like I said, I use it mostly for music and it navigates way better than any unit I've ever owned. I have all of my music loaded on a 32gb micro-sd so its as easy as swiping right on the music app to see music folders, and swipe left to see a track list in that folder. I can snap pics of the music app if you want. On top of all of this, you have options for which ROM you want to use, you can install customized roms or customized parts of the rom. There is a huge active thread on XDA dedicated to these radios and tweaking them.
Wow, thanks for the reply, that kind of puts things in perspective.

I was mainly worried about the HU eating all my phone's data, or screwing up in low service zones. Since you mentioned rooting, I'm assuming you're using iOS? On my Galaxy, I can probably just post as a hotspot and go, right?

Does Waze need data? I'd like to use that (since it shows both traffic AND cops, correct?) or something similar pretty often, and I guess that was my concern about the HU data-hogging my phone.

The other thing I use most is streaming music/radio, rather than pre-loaded stuff. Even with a ton of music, I tend to get really tired of the same things, so I usually swap through Pandora stations. Again, more data.

All in all, it sounds like a good unit, and is affordable compared to some of the comparable OEM options, I guess I'm just hesitant about how Nav and/or streaming would work in low-or-no service areas, or running up my data bill.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #26
shadoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post

Is the startup time an annoyance ? Or is it just negligeable.

Any changes in audio quality ? Also I read that it supports a Bluetooth mic. How does that work and does it have anyway to connect to the already existing oem mic?
Old 12-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #27
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Wow, thanks for the reply, that kind of puts things in perspective.

I was mainly worried about the HU eating all my phone's data, or screwing up in low service zones. Since you mentioned rooting, I'm assuming you're using iOS? On my Galaxy, I can probably just post as a hotspot and go, right?

Does Waze need data? I'd like to use that (since it shows both traffic AND cops, correct?) or something similar pretty often, and I guess that was my concern about the HU data-hogging my phone.

The other thing I use most is streaming music/radio, rather than pre-loaded stuff. Even with a ton of music, I tend to get really tired of the same things, so I usually swap through Pandora stations. Again, more data.

All in all, it sounds like a good unit, and is affordable compared to some of the comparable OEM options, I guess I'm just hesitant about how Nav and/or streaming would work in low-or-no service areas, or running up my data bill.
No, I use Android. I never stream music because that runs up data quickly. I only steam podcasts occasionally and use Waze. Waze uses very little data, do not worry if that is all you are using.

For the music you just need to download stuff and keep your sdcard updated...unless you have an unlimited data plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoken View Post
Is the startup time an annoyance ? Or is it just negligeable.

Any changes in audio quality ? Also I read that it supports a Bluetooth mic. How does that work and does it have anyway to connect to the already existing oem mic?
Startup time is ~30 seconds. The good thing is the backup cam (if you have one) still displays on the screen even when the unit hasn't completed booting so by the time I am out of my driveway, music is playing. The firmware I use has a power-off delay that you can set which has options of 30 seconds, 1min, 5mins, 10mins, 20mins, IIRC. Which means when you power down your car and return within that time window, the unit stays booted/powered and comes back immediately. When you shut down your car, it still appears to turn off, but in the background the system keeps the boot in memory or whatever.

Audio quality is fine. I replaced all audio in my car. Dayton Audio components in dash/doors, Sundown Audio sub in trunk, powered by 2 Soundstream amps. It's super clean.

The built-in mic is garbage. Many people on xda have replaced the built-in mic with a different mic with success. To do this you will need a little electronics\soldering skills. I plan to do it this winter.

Here's a video of the bootup and pics I took so you can see the light color matches the factory lighting.

Boot:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...202_201156.mpg

Home screen:

Waze..as you can see it's nearly an exact color match:

Music app displaying folders on sdcard:

Track list:

Radio:
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:23 PM   #28
shadoken

Nice ... Thanks for your help.

And btw isnt the mic like an external mic? Cant we just switch that with a better quality mic? Why do you need to solder and stuff. And what about bluetooth mic support?

Also did you buy any other adaptors to connect to the OEM Amp/USB ports and stuff? Or is it just plug and play.