follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #15
morswestford

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
Get resonated everything, super charger makes things louder + the tune.

^ listen to this man with JDL resonated & carted header.

Having a good catted front pipe really quotes things down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for your advice., maybe your right, so im thinking of getting that JDL ultra quite front pipe to replace my invidia front pipe. it says on the website under rear flange, 'oem style donut gasket', or 'flag fanged', which would you recommend?

And are you also saying i should go ahead and also replace my borla unequal length header, with a catted header? if so which one would you recommend i replace that with? OEM equal length header, or something aftermarket?
morswestford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #16
morswestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile_Kittens View Post
I've got a JDL Ultra Quiet front pipe with both a resonator and a high flow cat that really helps bring the sound down in both volume and pitch.

do you recommend i get both the ultra quiet front pipe
https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-...et-front-pipe/

plus their catted equal length header?
https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-...r/#prettyPhoto

or is that overkill since they both have catalytic converters in them? maybe since my supercharger and tune makes my system so loud, do you think it would be beneficial for both of them? or should i just go with their quit front pipe and see what that does first, and then make a decision on what i should do with my header?
Old 10-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #17
Blood

Drives: 2018 STI
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morswestford View Post
do you recommend i get both the ultra quiet front pipe
https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-...et-front-pipe/

plus their catted equal length header?
https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-...r/#prettyPhoto

or is that overkill since they both have catalytic converters in them? maybe since my supercharger and tune makes my system so loud, do you think it would be beneficial for both of them? or should i just go with their quit front pipe and see what that does first, and then make a decision on what i should do with my header?
Go with just the front pipe to start with. It'll make a little bit of a difference right after the install and it'll continue to quiet down a few weeks after the install as carbon build up occurs. You will need to choose the flat flange option to work with your Perrin catback. The donut option is for compatibility with the stock catback.

Ask your tuner to increase ignition timing after starting and/or decrease target idle rpm to quiet down cold starts. Stock ignition timing after starting is -15 degrees if I remember correctly and increasing it to -7 should quiet it down a bit. If it's still too loud, decreasing the values in target idle tables #1 and #2 can help as well.
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #18
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by morswestford View Post
thanks for your advice., maybe your right, so im thinking of getting that JDL ultra quite front pipe to replace my invidia front pipe. it says on the website under rear flange, 'oem style donut gasket', or 'flag fanged', which would you recommend?

And are you also saying i should go ahead and also replace my borla unequal length header, with a catted header? if so which one would you recommend i replace that with? OEM equal length header, or something aftermarket?
Nono keep the catless header. but get resonated stuff down the way.

Catless front pipe or not really changes the how loud the car is.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (11-02-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #19
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
For best performance, keep the header and front pipe. Change up the catback to something quieter.
tyler_win_photo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tyler_win_photo For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (11-02-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #20
morswestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo View Post
For best performance, keep the header and front pipe. Change up the catback to something quieter.
thx but no i just spent $900 on my perrin resonated exhaust. im really not in the mood to change that all over again, this is starting to become a hassle for me tinkering with the setup to see what i like which cost money. i think ill start with the JDL quiet front pipe, see how it sounds and if its too loud i will consider either getting a catted header, or maybe find a quiter catback if it really bothers me.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:17 PM   #21
morswestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood View Post
Go with just the front pipe to start with. It'll make a little bit of a difference right after the install and it'll continue to quiet down a few weeks after the install as carbon build up occurs. You will need to choose the flat flange option to work with your Perrin catback. The donut option is for compatibility with the stock catback.

Ask your tuner to increase ignition timing after starting and/or decrease target idle rpm to quiet down cold starts. Stock ignition timing after starting is -15 degrees if I remember correctly and increasing it to -7 should quiet it down a bit. If it's still too loud, decreasing the values in target idle tables #1 and #2 can help as well.
thx ill do that
Old 10-30-2016, 02:45 PM   #22
toeout

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Buy the Borla catback https://www.borla.com/products/frs_b...t__140496.html

Then use just the first, midpipe portion where the muffler is, in addition to your Perrin muffler. So the unresonated portion of your Perrin gets replaced with Borla exhaust.

I did that with my Q300 and it sounds nice and quiet (Louder than stock still). I have a JDL UEL and Motiv catted front pipe as well. Replacing anything else won't make that much difference in sound, because all the resonator volumes are very small. Borla is the only company that makes a muffler that fits in the space of a resonator under the driveshaft.
toeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #23
morswestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeout View Post
Buy the Borla catback https://www.borla.com/products/frs_b...t__140496.html

Then use just the first, midpipe portion where the muffler is, in addition to your Perrin muffler. So the unresonated portion of your Perrin gets replaced with Borla exhaust.

I did that with my Q300 and it sounds nice and quiet (Louder than stock still). I have a JDL UEL and Motiv catted front pipe as well. Replacing anything else won't make that much difference in sound, because all the resonator volumes are very small. Borla is the only company that makes a muffler that fits in the space of a resonator under the driveshaft.

Crazy idea, is this what you are wanting me to do, you want me to spend another $900, just so i can use that one peice of borla to connect to my perrin resonated exhaust?
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morswestford For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (11-07-2016), Hostile_Kittens (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #24
toeout

Drives: 2013 FR-S
That's exactly right. It seems expensive upfront, but it's where you'll arrive after going through different frontpipes, midpipes, resonators etc. Only Borla's muffler is big enough to make a meaningful difference and they are the only ones who make something that big for that spot under the driveshaft.

I'm not sure how old your Perrin system is, but my Invidia Q300(itself touted as one of the quietest systems for our car) got louder after 2 years. I went through various Magnaflow resonators ( didn't last over 6 months ), Flowmaster Hushpower muffler (didn't quiet it down enough) and combination of the two. In the end only Borla made a significant difference, as it should since it's big enough to be a main muffler.

I only wish I'd bought Borla earlier before spending money on all the other stuff. Also you can get it for less than $900, I bought mine from FRSport.

toeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #25
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
it would probably be a cheaper option to go to a muffler shop and have them weld in extra resonators or a better muffler
Old 10-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #26
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
The upcoming CSG exhaust may be your answer.

It passes the 90dB Laguna Seca test, as well as the "Irvine" test, with boost, without cats, and E85.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
phrosty (10-30-2016), Reamer (10-31-2016), whataboutbob (11-02-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #27
morswestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeout View Post
That's exactly right. It seems expensive upfront, but it's where you'll arrive after going through different frontpipes, midpipes, resonators etc. Only Borla's muffler is big enough to make a meaningful difference and they are the only ones who make something that big for that spot under the driveshaft.

I'm not sure how old your Perrin system is, but my Invidia Q300(itself touted as one of the quietest systems for our car) got louder after 2 years. I went through various Magnaflow resonators ( didn't last over 6 months ), Flowmaster Hushpower muffler (didn't quiet it down enough) and combination of the two. In the end only Borla made a significant difference, as it should since it's big enough to be a main muffler.

I only wish I'd bought Borla earlier before spending money on all the other stuff. Also you can get it for less than $900, I bought mine from FRSport.

sounds like a crazy idea, but i am going to def. consider it. thx for the advice
Old 10-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #28
morswestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
it would probably be a cheaper option to go to a muffler shop and have them weld in extra resonators or a better muffler
hm maybe your right too

Tags
borla, cold engine start, invidia, jackson racing, perrin