follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
what are your thoughts on rota wheels?

i personally think its like buying fake jordans for your feet... im not trying to bash or anything, im sure they get the job done.. but why do people need to lower their standards for their car? dont they love their car?
VenomRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
subyota

Drives: Stage IV '03 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
yeah, not a fan of them at all!

subyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
They're light, inexpensive, and sturdy.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Friends don't let friends ride on Rotas. Your statement is akin to what we ask each other at work. Why do people spend so much money on the outside and motor, yet they go super cheap on their interior? Makes no sense.

On a side note, I can't wait until the JDM vs. Knockoff arguments take off for this car.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
rotas have their place. might end up getting rotas for my gf's car at some point.

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
for daily sure ill use them but thats it just a daily wheels, my AE86 never teased a fake wheels before but maybe the accord will lol
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:33 AM   #7
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Drives: '04 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by subyota View Post
yeah, not a fan of them at all!

Is that yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2KtoFT86 View Post
Friends don't let friends ride on Rotas. Your statement is akin to what we ask each other at work. Why do people spend so much money on the outside and motor, yet they go super cheap on their interior? Makes no sense.
Because it's their money and they can do what they want. If people want Rotas on their cars, so be it. As long as they're not frontin' that the rims are something else, then it's not faking anything. This is free market capitalism at work. If there wasn't a market for these rims, then Rota would be out of business.
White Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:47 AM   #8
ERA
Banned

Drives: .
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Rotas are cool.
ERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Comet View Post
Is that yours?

Because it's their money and they can do what they want. If people want Rotas on their cars, so be it. As long as they're not frontin' that the rims are something else, then it's not faking anything. This is free market capitalism at work. If there wasn't a market for these rims, then Rota would be out of business.
There will always be a market for cheap knockoff items. That goes with anything.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Comet View Post

As long as they're not frontin' that the rims are something else, then it's not faking anything
well some of my friends talk about rotas and they're like "ooh i like how the rota grids look, cuz they remind me of the volks" i think thats pretty much faking it.. but more than anything i think its a pride thing, most of my friends are filipino and after i had a little discussion about this subject with one of them i was wondering why he was defending it so much, so i went on the website and saw that they are made in the philpines.. this guy im talkin doesnt buy knock of stuff either, he bought a tv once at best buy for like 1200 and i asked him, "why not just get the Dynex one its cheaper" (dynex being the best buy brand) and his response was just, cuz its a dynex, i'd rather get the real thing
VenomRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Most of the folks that buy Rotas and other knock offs are not the people that have the authentic JDM mods done. Most if not all of their mods are from knock off companies.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
Ricepuddin
Get a Bowl

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I stick to factory wheels, maybe not the ones that came on the car (I.E. TL-S wheels on a CL-S).

That being said, with a track car i would rather have a set of Rotas then a set of Volks. I would be to careful driving with the Volks, to worried about scratching them. With the Rotas I could trash them and not care.

Same with daily driving, having lived in Newport News VA, I fear pot holes and expensive wheels.

I also Personally do not care about JDM I am a function over form. ( but i do love some volks TE-37s)
Ricepuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricepuddin View Post
I stick to factory wheels, maybe not the ones that came on the car (I.E. TL-S wheels on a CL-S).

That being said, with a track car i would rather have a set of Rotas then a set of Volks. I would be to careful driving with the Volks, to worried about scratching them. With the Rotas I could trash them and not care.

Same with daily driving, having lived in Newport News VA, I fear pot holes and expensive wheels.

I also Personally do not care about JDM I am a function over form. ( but i do love some volks TE-37s)
If that were the case, then you'd take Volks over Rotas every single time. Also, if you seriously tracked your car, you'd take Volks over Rotas every time. The picture posted above is not an isolated incident. It happens to Rotas all the time. Does that mean it can't happen to Volks, Works, etc? No, but those authentic wheels are manufactured more solidly than a copy cat. If you want some relatively cheap wheels, go with Enkei. They make some solid wheels for not a lot of coin.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
Ricepuddin
Get a Bowl

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2KtoFT86 View Post
If that were the case, then you'd take Volks over Rotas every single time. Also, if you seriously tracked your car, you'd take Volks over Rotas every time. The picture posted above is not an isolated incident. It happens to Rotas all the time. Does that mean it can't happen to Volks, Works, etc? No, but those authentic wheels are manufactured more solidly than a copy cat. If you want some relatively cheap wheels, go with Enkei. They make some solid wheels for not a lot of coin.
In no way shape or form disagree with you that Volks,BBS,Works,etc are by far the better build, i have seen Rotas at the track and i have yet to see them Break again in person.

Also (and i should have pointed this out in my last thread) I am a broke ass E3 in the U.S. Army. Anything i build is going to be a budget build, I.E. an AW11 (rocking the Triangles of coarse), and not a daily driver. Sinking $1k a wheel into a car that initially coast $1k ( the last track car I built was a buddies AW11, rolling chassis was about $300, Silvertop 4AGE was $500) does not make sense financially. Maybe if I ever leave the Army and start pulling in those $100k+ Civilian BMET paychecks ill splurge

As far as Enkeis, The 01 Acura CL Type S factory wheels are made by Enkei (i think all of Acura's wheels are) i bent a few of them, one set with just a little romp through hill country. Left a bad taste in my mouth for them.

Anyways I am rambling, for me I'll just stick to factory, minus the aforementioned case, they seem to have always worked well for me.
Ricepuddin is offline   Reply With Quote