follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
For any product out there you can always sit and wait for something better down the road.
True but with Toyota, it's what they do in between is what I'll wait for.

Case in point, look at the current Tacoma. I have the 05 (1st year released) and in 08/09 they changed it with the blacked out headlights and LED taillights and offered some of the stuff standard that were options when I bought mine. Now in 2012, they completely changed the front bumper and the interior got some small but nice changes.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
Mari0
Car Enthusiast

Drives: tC 05 & 07, Rav4
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
That's what I'm waiting for. I don't plan to buy the first year b/c I know a couple yrs later they'll make some small suttle refinements.

I would be careful with spraying the outside. In the other thread, I mentioned using Testors transparent candy apple red and that is what most folks use to match the red lenses but unless you clear coat them, the paint will weather quickly.

It will match but I recommend cracking them open and painting the inside of the lense rather than the outside.

In the US, it's mandatory to have a clear reverse light and red brake lights. Turn signals can be either amber or red.
Thanks. I might just do that. As far as painting them on the inside, is it the same process with the sanding, the paint and the clear coating? Or?

Also, aren't the reverse lights on the FR-S at the bottom of the bumper (not on the tail light), so it wouldn't be illegal if you paint them since only the lights, brakes and blinkers are in that housing? I don't know. I could be totally off.
Mari0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
5oo

Drives: Preordered: WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think a red-out style vinyl overlay would be the easiest solution. Fairly easy to install/uninstall without having to crack open the taillight. Cheap too, they're usually <$50.

Check out all of his work. http://s2.photobucket.com/profile/BlueBatmobile2005
5oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari0 View Post
Thanks. I might just do that. As far as painting them on the inside, is it the same process with the sanding, the paint and the clear coating? Or?

Also, aren't the reverse lights on the FR-S at the bottom of the bumper (not on the tail light), so it wouldn't be illegal if you paint them since only the lights, brakes and blinkers are in that housing? I don't know. I could be totally off.
Since the paint is on the inside of the housing it's not exposed to the elements and you won't see the surface finish so you wouldn't necessarily have to sand and clear coat.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #19
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I want these kind of results

Blacked out

Red

Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #20
Aki

Drives: '96 beater Corolla
Here's smoking only the chrome portion:
Aki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aki For This Useful Post:
DriftEightSix (12-31-2012), LeeMaster (02-03-2013), Mo707 (08-04-2012)
Old 11-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #21
BootpTraphik
loading in progress

Drives: Genesis Coupe 3.8 M/T
Depending on how the tail lights are assembled, it may be easy or hard.

For example, many people are getting into blacking out the chrome parts in the tails of the Genesis. Unfortunately you cannot bake the tails, you literally have to cut or dremel around the housing from the back to crack them open. Then you have to paint, then reseal and let cure. The Toyota's tail lights might be easier, but who knows.

There are a few options I see for the FT-86. You could crack them open, by whatever means, and paint the bezels and accents whatever colour you desire.

You could use something like VHT Nite Shades to spray tint the tails to your desired colour and transparency. The VHT coat is applied externally, so no need to crack or "bake" them open.

The other option is to use a Lamin X or equivalent tint film and tint them out to whatever level/shade you want.

In my case, I would crack the tails on my car open, but it is a lot of work. I have been considering just getting some tint film and doing it that way. Remember to know your local laws for tail light modifications and tint limits.

Resident GenCoupe lurker and FT-86 fan
BootpTraphik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki View Post
ooooOOOO
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #23
KevinDuMa

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think I'll go with vinyls like I did with my RSX...especially since this will be my first brand new car and I don't want to do anything drastic like take apart the tail lights and what not I wanna keep my baby nice for years to come
KevinDuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #24
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari0 View Post

The only thing cops care about is if your lights are working and the reverse is clear. I got a fix it ticket back in the days with my Integra. I bought the all clear taillights and painted it all red. I had it for about a month before I got rolled on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oo View Post
I think a red-out style vinyl overlay would be the easiest solution. Fairly easy to install/uninstall without having to crack open the taillight. Cheap too, they're usually <$50.

Check out all of his work. http://s2.photobucket.com/profile/BlueBatmobile2005
That's a good option too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki View Post
That's what I was planning to do, only paint the chrome trim with either the testors black transparent paint or if VHT has a similar color available.

http://www.testors.com/products/136122

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootpTraphik View Post
Depending on how the tail lights are assembled, it may be easy or hard.

For example, many people are getting into blacking out the chrome parts in the tails of the Genesis. Unfortunately you cannot bake the tails, you literally have to cut or dremel around the housing from the back to crack them open. Then you have to paint, then reseal and let cure. The Toyota's tail lights might be easier, but who knows.

There are a few options I see for the FT-86. You could crack them open, by whatever means, and paint the bezels and accents whatever colour you desire.

You could use something like VHT Nite Shades to spray tint the tails to your desired colour and transparency. The VHT coat is applied externally, so no need to crack or "bake" them open.

The other option is to use a Lamin X or equivalent tint film and tint them out to whatever level/shade you want.

In my case, I would crack the tails on my car open, but it is a lot of work. I have been considering just getting some tint film and doing it that way. Remember to know your local laws for tail light modifications and tint limits.
^good advice

We're going to have to wait and see. Tails are tougher than headlights and marker lights. I've done the baked and dremel method before so as long as you take your time and have the right tools, it should be a steady task, just don't have any second thoughts.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #25
Jeff_DML

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan(last motor vehicle)
assume there will be overlays or make your own like they have the latest WRX/STI

http://www.premiumautostyling.com/20...4_3787533.aspx
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #26
BootpTraphik
loading in progress

Drives: Genesis Coupe 3.8 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post

^good advice

We're going to have to wait and see. Tails are tougher than headlights and marker lights. I've done the baked and dremel method before so as long as you take your time and have the right tools, it should be a steady task, just don't have any second thoughts.

Yeah, headlights are easy in comparison. Just bake, un-clip any clips, and pry apart. Then its just a matter of painting, not touching any of the shiny parts lol, and putting all back together and sealing (if necessary).

When the time does come, anyone interested should get in touch with Chris @ http://www.flyryde.com/Index/Index.aspx , he does killer work. I'm sure he could do some sweet stuff with the Toyota as well. He did the lights on the RMR Hurricane SC concept Genesis Coupe and they were !

Resident GenCoupe lurker and FT-86 fan
BootpTraphik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #27
Slide
Banned

Drives: Toyota Aristo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyalien24 View Post
I want these kind of results

Blacked out

Yes please~~~

I will be doing a black white theme and they would go sooo well!!!
Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #28
CSOCSO

Drives: Scion Tc
My tC's tails...
i would rather take it to a pro and have them mix a really small amount of black in to a clear coat and paint it like that. the bottom part was like 3 coats the top part was 6

looks shiny without any buffing and still looks like new and it was only 50 each

( my rear lip was wrapped in CF vinyl, its painted now)
CSOCSO is offline   Reply With Quote