follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2023, 03:21 PM   #1
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My Detailed Comparison of GR86 vs GR Corolla

With the novelty of the GR Corolla settling, I’m now ready to share my thoughts on how it compares to the GR86. I’ve had the GR86 for 1.5 years/~12k miles and the GR Corolla for 5 months/~3k miles.

You’ll find that I emphasize more on what I feel when daily driving these cars (which I did for 1-month straight for both), which I think is important because a lot of people will be using these cars as dailies. Plus we already have a plethora of on-track impressions.

General Comparison

Yes—the cars’ physical differences (ie. weight & center of gravity) is immediately noticeable and affects elements like steering response and handling. In addition, both cars’ driving experiences are also characterized by the behavior and interaction between their engines and drivetrain.

Similarly, neither car is particularly powerful, and both cars are eager to keep the driver inclined to stay in their engine’s power band. On the other hand, they differ due to the behavior of a turbocharged engine and naturally aspirated engine, as well as all-wheel-drive vs rear wheel drive’s influence on the car’s rotation.

General Vehicle Feel

When it comes to more passive things (driving position, quality of interior, seats and bolstering, features) the GR86 naturally feels like more of a performance car than the GR Corolla, especially considering the price difference. Even disregarding its cheaper interior materials, the GR Corolla seems ordinary due to the high seat height AND high dashboard (typical of Corollas since the early 2000’s by the way).

When you get going, both cars show their raw demeanor with a visceral, unrefined feel. The GR86 is slightly more raw than the GR Corolla, and its unfiltered nature means you have to tolerate a tad more noise, vibration, and harshness. It has a stiffer ride and feels “hollow” when traveling over bumps and uneven road surfaces. On the other hand, the GR Corolla is less harsh yet still appropriately firm for a sporty feel, and results in feeling very “robust” over uneven roads.

The Inputs

Starting with the transmission, the GR Corolla has an easy-to-operate manual transmission with a more forgiving clutch than the GR86. It has an anti-stall feature where it adds a small amount of throttle when taking off, which I appreciated more when driving in traffic. Unlike the GR Corolla, the GR86 has a slightly lighter and vague clutch and inconsistent grabbiness. The GR Corolla also has better throttle response for both upshifts and downshifts.

Both cars boast shift levers with short and precise throws that provide a tactile, mechanical sensation. This is particularly impressive in the GR Corolla since it is cable-operated. It feels more dense as it “thumps” into gear but when pushing it, the gears are easy and satisfying to row through. I was pleased with its smooth and forgiving when shifting quickly at high RPM’s. Fun fact, the transmission is from the same family as the Lotus Evora’s transmission.

The GR86’s shifter is slicker in-between gears, but there’s more friction felt as it crunches into gear with a “clank.” However, the GR86 does have more favorable pedal placement for heel-toeing. In the GR Corolla, the brake pedal is substantially higher and further from the throttle.

On a different note, the GR86 excels in everything related to steering—offering more direct steering feel, off-center weight, and quicker steering response. Although the GR Corolla has a narrow deadzone off-center and a lighter EPS setup, it also has a quicker steering ratio which helps the car feel relatively nimble. You can turn on Sport Mode in the GR Corolla to increase the steering resistance but there’s no additional steering response (to me it feels more lively in normal mode steering). One thing to note is that the Front-wheel drive-based AWD system becomes apparent because the torque gets channeled through the steering at higher loads. Both cars have increasing steering feedback as lateral G’s increase, but the GR86 still offers superior feel and communication.

Engine & Power Characteristics

The GR86’s 2.4L NA boxer engine produces linear acceleration that maintains acceptable power and torque to redline. Its high-strung engine revs with a coarse grittiness, which is a key element of its pure feel. The widely-available torque is favorable around town and during spirited use. In contrast, the GR Corolla’s 3-cylinder 1.6L turbocharged engine is “segmented” into different zones of power/torque. It has a tame low-end that actually feels naturally-aspirated (2,500-4,000 RPM), giving a similar pure ambience when driving slow. It’s most powerful in the mid-range where peak boost kicks in (3,500-5,700 RPM), and then it pretty much falters to redline (7000).

I found the GR Corolla disappointing below 3000 RPM when there’s no boost, and that’s especially true in 6th and even 5th gear when cruising on the freeway. Even the GR86 has acceptable acceleration from 2500 RPM in 6th gear, and in the city can even accelerate from 2,000 RPM in 4th gear.

I found that the best way to enjoy the GR Corolla’s power is to be committed through the whole RPM range—basically if you embrace the turbo lag and keep the momentum of the engine going by shifting quick, then it will really feel like a car with 300hp.

Nonetheless, the GR Corolla’s engine adds an engaging element to the drive as it requires attention and decision-making from the driver to yield ideal output. This engaging characteristic is complemented by the constant need to shift due to the close gear ratios. In both cars I am constantly shifting up and down, but even more so in the GR Corolla since its sweet spot is at 3000 RPM+. Furthermore, I’m constantly looking forward to hit its sweet spot, and the anticipation to get there makes for a rewarding experience.

In more spirited driving though, the GR86’s high-revving NA engine and constant torque helps the car shine, so I’m encouraged to downshift or stay high in the power band. In fact, I was so accustomed to this that the first time I drove my GR Corolla in the twisties, I naturally stayed around 5000 RPM and that’s when I first noticed the lack of power & torque in the higher RPM’s.

Handling Dynamics

Out of the factory both cars are great “dance partners” and can accommodate different driving styles. However, the GR86 is a more direct and responsive car with an encouraging and playful rear end. With the linear powerband, it makes rotating with the throttle very rewarding. You can always opt to resist the urge to slide and drive right on the edge of grip since it communicates well. Either way the GR86 is an ace.

On the other hand, the GR Corolla doesn’t rotate as artfully, but when attacking a corner it encourages you to make use of its grip and mid-range punch. You’ll be inclined to limit its natural tendency to understeer. But for giggles, you can lift off throttle or hard-brake to transfer weight off of the rear and get it to slide. It’s a rewarding feeling too, but requires more effort than the GR86. Therefore, I’m not as willing to do that as often as I do in the GR86, especially in consecutive turns.

But unless someone’s commute has a mountain pass with winding roads, the bliss of the GR86’s handling comes in small doses. Unfortunately, I believe this is the downside of owning a GR86 as a daily driver. Having to look forward to every turn means you’re basically being drip-fed the performance of the GR86 until you hit the track or a winding road.

The GR Corolla combats this by having slightly more character in casual driving. It shouldn’t understeer when driving mildly, so in urban settings you’re mainly entertained by the combined behavior of the engaging powertrain and nimbleness from its quick steering ratio and short wheelbase. In addition to that, you have a raw driving experience with natural exhaust and turbo sounds.

Final Thoughts

The cool thing about the GR Corolla is that you are sort of getting two cars for the price of one. If you drive it with no sort of spirit it really feels like a Corolla. Every time you are behind the wheel, you have a choice to wake up the actual GR Corolla.

Without mentioning practicality and all-weather capability, I feel that the GR Corolla is an excellent daily driver. At lawful speeds, it’s an easier car to drive than the GR86 but it also has acceptable inputs that feel great and a power train full of character.

But depending on how much you appreciate the pure driving experience of the GR86, it can be more satisfying and rewarding than the punchy and rowdy GR Corolla. Is the GR86 only good if you like to turn? No, not necessarily. It doesn’t pin you to your seat but it has a linear powerband in which you don’t have to wait for power and torque. There’s also the element of being in a low 2-door coupe that feels special, pure, and quite classic.

Making a Choice

Even without factoring mark-ups, the price difference between the two are significant. Choosing one requires prioritizing your wants and accepting the compromises.

I feel like if someone chooses the GR86 over the GR Corolla, they compromise more (especially as a daily driver) but that probably means they highly value its sharper driving experience, even knowing well they won’t always be driving the car at its full potential.

For someone who chooses the GR Corolla over the GR86, they are sacrificing the pure sports car and rear wheel drive driving experience, but in return they have a car that was practically meant to be daily driven. In fact it’s so good at being daily driven that it would be very out of character for it to be a weekend car or garage queen.

Either way, you’ll know you made the right choice if you find yourself wanting to drive it over and over again.

Summary

Both
+ Old-school, visceral feel in 2023
+ Engaging drive, dictated by engine’s power band and handling.
+ Mechanical, driver-oriented inputs
+ Nimble behavior relative to weight

GR86:

Highs:
- Lightweight RWD + NA engine = pure
- Incredible Steering Characteristics for an EPS system
- Appropriately-tuned power band for many uses

Lows:
- Can’t truly enjoy its potential outside of twisties or track
- Inconsistent clutch can be annoying
- NVH is hard to ignore

GR Corolla:

Highs:
- Simple and easy-to-use manual transmission
- Natural engine + turbo sounds with a boomy stock exhaust in low RPM
- Pretty comfortable for a performance car

Lows:
- Requires commitment throughout full RPM range to get through lack of low-end torque, narrow power band, and turbo lag
- High seat & dashboard + other Corolla elements makes it feel ordinary

My takeaway:

Drive them the right way and they’ll both be fun. The GRC is a potentially better daily driver. The GR86 is a potentially better driver’s car.
ACT86 (06-16-2023), Ash_89 (06-19-2023), AsphaltJ (06-20-2023), bcj (06-16-2023), Clark20 (06-17-2023), Dake (06-17-2023), diga (06-16-2023), Dirty Harry (06-22-2023), DriveDriftDogfight86 (06-22-2023), drivejumpfly (06-25-2023), DylanJZA (06-16-2023), fredzy (06-16-2023), g e (06-17-2023), gcmak (06-18-2023), Jegan_V (06-16-2023), Jianlun (06-16-2023), jordan7831 (06-19-2023), MrSkubi (06-19-2023), Ohio Enthusiast (06-16-2023), Open Loop (06-20-2023), PBR (06-17-2023), Racecomp Engineering (06-21-2023), raisingAnarchy (06-16-2023), RToyo86 (06-16-2023), ruturaj001 (06-17-2023), Sport-Tech (06-22-2023), Stonehorsw (06-17-2023), T-Steve (06-17-2023), The Red One (06-17-2023), Wally86 (06-19-2023), whataboutbob (06-17-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 04:34 PM   #2
22R
22R

Drives: 2012 Camry SE 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nice review.

22R
22R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 22R For This Useful Post:
Veloist (06-22-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 05:30 PM   #3
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Great comparison and photos!
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
Veloist (06-22-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 05:49 PM   #4
raisingAnarchy

Drives: '20 Tundra, '84 SpecE30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Loved the details in this review, and the photos are awesome! Makes me feel good about my decision to pursue the GR86.
raisingAnarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raisingAnarchy For This Useful Post:
Veloist (06-22-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 07:28 PM   #5
diga

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
amazing review - you should submit it to car review sites!!

As a 2022 BRZ manual owner one thing stood out to me that I don't hear discussed very often - the seemingly inconsistent clutch engagement point. I've only ever had manual trans cars, I guess about 8 in total, and with this one it almost seems the engagement point changes significantly in first through third - I haven't been able to really figure out what's happening, whether it's just more responsive to subtle input changes, more so than any other car I've owned, or if it is in fact engaging the clutch differently depending on gearing.

About the GR Corolla, you mentioned under 3000 RPM it behaves like an NA Corolla - how does that feel in urban settings? I really value immediate torque from NA engines when wanting to punch it around a corner, and love my BRZ because of it (along with the RWD dynamic). I've had my eye on the GR Corolla just because it's so much more practical as a daily but don't think I could afford both. Eventaully a simple test drive will answer my question but they're pretty hard to find these days so I'll ask here for now.
Veloist (06-22-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 09:18 PM   #6
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I was 100% excepting a link to a YouTube review. Very pleasantly surprised. You covered all the important point well, great read! 10/10, will recommend.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
Veloist (06-22-2023), Wally86 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 10:17 AM   #7
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Great review and comparison! Seems to mostly confirm what I've suspected as well. The point you make about getting back into the 86 was something I noticed about my FRS too. For a bit I drove an old Solara coupe around as a daily. It was a great car, smooth riding, comfortable and even quick thanks to the V6 - no complaints. This was when used car prices were utterly insane and the Solara was nice enough I considered selling my FRS since I could've had $19k for it from the online car sites. Then I got back in the FRS to drive to work and immediately realized how much I missed driving it, even as a daily. So sold the Solara and the FRS turns 11 in a few months. Anyway, I wonder if I'd feel the same way if I went with the Corolla...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diga View Post
As a 2022 BRZ manual owner one thing stood out to me that I don't hear discussed very often - the seemingly inconsistent clutch engagement point. I've only ever had manual trans cars, I guess about 8 in total, and with this one it almost seems the engagement point changes significantly in first through third - I haven't been able to really figure out what's happening, whether it's just more responsive to subtle input changes, more so than any other car I've owned, or if it is in fact engaging the clutch differently depending on gearing..
Did later models keep the clutch pedal spring? I had the same issues with my FRS until I removed that - made all the difference.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
Veloist (06-22-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 11:41 AM   #8
Scoobtothenoog

Drives: 2011 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So, which one are you putting up for sale??
Scoobtothenoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:33 PM   #9
vindiesel

Drives: 2023 brz limited 6mt red
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
“Having to look forward to every turn means you’re basically being drip-fed the performance of the GR86 until you hit the track or a winding road.”
That explains the experience entirely especially since I drive 90% hwy daily… that drip feed is pure bliss though.

I still don’t understand people’s qualms with the clutch. The 1st 1000 miles it was finicky… after that it’s smooth and requires no clutch spring change… then again I’ve been driving manuals all my driving life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vindiesel For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (06-17-2023), Veloist (06-22-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 04:36 PM   #10
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It's an old discussion, and maybe the new one is better but I've been driving manuals my whole life too and getting rid of that weird return spring was one of the best, simplest upgrades I made.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 06:13 PM   #11
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
I drive an 04WRX wagon and a 14 Cayman on the weekends or after work. I get in my 16 BRZ daily every Monday and it does nothing but put smiles on my face. I love the the twins.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Veloist (06-22-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 09:39 AM   #12
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
When I started driving the GR86, the clutch bite point felt way too high. Turns out I was just so used to my WRX's way too low bite point. It was literally on the floor. I sometimes think the GR86's bite point migrated down a bit since new but I'm sure I've just gotten used to it being where it should.

Now that I'm used to that I struggle to see why people hate it (with spring in place) so much. The only thing about the 86 that makes driving smoothly more difficult for me is the sub-par throttle response.

The GRC has a light, linear feeling clutch pedal too. Wonder if it has a similar helper spring setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diga View Post
About the GR Corolla, you mentioned under 3000 RPM it behaves like an NA Corolla - how does that feel in urban settings? I really value immediate torque from NA engines when wanting to punch it around a corner, and love my BRZ because of it (along with the RWD dynamic).
I find I need to shift all the damn time to not feel like I'm bogging it. I don't get into 6th unless cruising ~53 mph or more. Any uphill grade I usually drop down a gear, sometimes even on highway. It's OK because the shifter is such a joy to row and the throttle response is incredibly good. The 2.4 in the 86 feels like a freakin V8 in comparison. Of course the tables turn dramatically once in the boost. The old school boost lag is honestly one of the GRC's most endearing features. Anyone who heavily values a good engine note and some drama over pure speed will not find a more satisfying tarted up econobox type vehicle on sale today.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 09:55 AM   #13
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Both cars have cable operated shifters.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 12:49 PM   #14