follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2023, 02:59 PM   #169
billstock67

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have about 3K after MCA install. No other changes at that time.
Previously installed mods: RCE Yellow / Bilstein B6. Whiteline differential & subframe inserts, SPC rear toe arms, Whiteline rear LCA.

Agree with Andrew that rear feels more "natural". For me, also clear improvement. (Street only, have not tracked the car)
Have STI trailing arms on the shelf, will report after install.
billstock67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billstock67 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (08-13-2023), Tatsu333 (08-14-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 11:51 PM   #170
FT86Z
Drift noob

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport-Tech CWP 6MT
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
GP Sports also sells a version of this kit without those silver plates. Can this kit be installed on the car without the metal plates, or are rigid collars a necessity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-G View Post
If MCA is hard to get, this is an alternative. (not sure if its been shared yet)

Not sure if its any good though...

https://www.gpsports-gallery.com/products/3727/

Old 09-06-2023, 09:45 AM   #171
makinen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86Z View Post
GP Sports also sells a version of this kit without those silver plates. Can this kit be installed on the car without the metal plates, or are rigid collars a necessity?
I reckon it can be installed regardless of regid collars but could be better with some kind of similar things.

I installed GP Sports kit without rigid collars, but there have been installed Whiteline subframe insert bushings already. I removed the front bottom urethane insert bushings (left and right) and installed the traction member instead. Still there are 6 urethane insert bushings at the front top, rear top and bottom.

Name:  20230816_140202-.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  242.4 KB

Basically no NVH or subframe movement changed after installation as only two urethane insert bushings substituted with metal ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Do you have a link to the kit that doesn’t come with the metal plates?
At the bottom of this link, you'll find the kit without the metal rigid collars.
https://www.gpsports-gallery.com/products/3727/

Name:  Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB - Reply to Topic - Chro.png
Views: 560
Size:  45.9 KB
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to makinen For This Useful Post:
FT86Z (09-06-2023), norcalpb (09-06-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 02:43 PM   #172
Danny318

Drives: 2019 BRZ
How do you actually order from gsports?
Danny318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 06:07 PM   #173
Xed32

Drives: '22 brz Sport-Tech
To those who asked about an equivalent for the front. You would not want that. In Layman's terms the MCA traction mod allows the car to squat during acceleration. Makes it easier to get on the gas early without the back stepping out as force is allowed to go through the suspension and tires instead ( weight transfer is allowed). You would want the opposite at the front, which i believe is what the Jackson racing Anti-dive kit is. That kit tries to keep the car level when braking. "This gives the car a more level stance, allowing the driver to have a more controlled and balanced entry to the corner." I am still thinking about getting that next.
MCA Traction mod allows squat by lessening anti-squat at the rear.
Jackson racing anti-dive kit reduces front-end dive under braking by increasing anti-dive at the front.
Xed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xed32 For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 04:32 PM   #174
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xed32 View Post
To those who asked about an equivalent for the front. You would not want that. In Layman's terms the MCA traction mod allows the car to squat during acceleration. Makes it easier to get on the gas early without the back stepping out as force is allowed to go through the suspension and tires instead ( weight transfer is allowed). You would want the opposite at the front, which i believe is what the Jackson racing Anti-dive kit is. That kit tries to keep the car level when braking. "This gives the car a more level stance, allowing the driver to have a more controlled and balanced entry to the corner." I am still thinking about getting that next.
MCA Traction mod allows squat by lessening anti-squat at the rear.
Jackson racing anti-dive kit reduces front-end dive under braking by increasing anti-dive at the front.
Agree on everything.

The equivalent for the front is the Whiteline “anti-dive kit” which unfortunately reduces anti dive.

The JR kit lowers the front control arm mounting point while the whiteline raises it. Only the JRs mounting configuration is consistent with an anti dive kit.

I personally plan on running the JR anti-dive kit with STi springs to keep the front end from bobbing so much. Also considering the GP sports pro-squat kit over the MCA one as I’m not a fan of how the MCA bolts to the front subframe mounting bolts. Seems to create a lot of unnecessary stress.

The more angled the green lines are in the below photo, the more front anti-dive you have.

norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
Xed32 (09-09-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 05:48 PM   #175
norcalpb

Just did a traction mod via the GP Sports brackets. It lowered the crap out of the rear end of my brz.

Absolutely loving the change in road feel though. Bumps that would bump me out of my seat no longer do so.

Need to decide if I want to get coilovers vs suspension risers. Currently on RCE Tarmac springs and Bilstein B6 struts/shocks.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:20 PM   #176
Tatsu333

Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Just did a traction mod via the GP Sports brackets. It lowered the crap out of the rear end of my brz.
Weird - the MCA Traction Mod has zero effect on static ride height or alignment, and I would have expected the GP Sports piece to be the same in that respect, as it seems to just do the same thing (relocate the front mounting point lower) in a slightly different way...
Old 01-03-2024, 11:01 PM   #177
makinen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsu333 View Post
Weird - the MCA Traction Mod has zero effect on static ride height or alignment, and I would have expected the GP Sports piece to be the same in that respect, as it seems to just do the same thing (relocate the front mounting point lower) in a slightly different way...
It seems like that the spring rates matters.
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:31 AM   #178
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The ride height change is odd. Dynamically the rate is softer as there is less jacking force but there should be no change to ride height.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM   #179
Tatsu333

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
The ride height change is odd. Dynamically the rate is softer as there is less jacking force but there should be no change to ride height.
As PulsarBeeerz says, this mod affects the suspension dynamically only due to a change in geometry by relocating that front pickup point. It has no effect on static spring rates, which are what affect the ride height at rest.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:46 AM   #180
Tatsu333

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
As PulsarBeeerz says, this mod affects the suspension dynamically only due to a change in geometry by relocating that front pickup point. It has no effect on static spring rates, which are what affect the ride height at rest.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:12 PM   #181
norcalpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsu333 View Post
One would think so but the Japanese article author I quoted on page 11 did say it lowers the car about 5mm which is how much mine was lowered by. The trailing arm in the stock position creates more leverage on the shock/spring so it does kinda make sense that with more load on the coil itself that the rear would sag more. Did you adjust your ride height at all after installing your set?
Old 01-04-2024, 05:24 PM   #182
Tatsu333

Quote:
One would think so but the Japanese article author I quoted on page 11 did say it lowers the car about 5mm which is how much mine was lowered by. The trailing arm in the stock position creates more leverage on the shock/spring so it does kinda make sense that with more load on the coil itself that the rear would sag more. Did you adjust your ride height at all after installing your set?
Nope - I was still on the stock Performance Pack suspension when I installed the MCA Traction Mod, and no ride height change occurred (I did measure before and after).

Could be the GP Sports version alters the geometry in some other way? No idea...