follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2023, 02:02 PM   #673
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
In the US, even fewer people understand traffic circles than four strokes.
when you add a rule your not supposed to...that doesnt help lol.

A traffic circle (2 lane) is easy to understand. Inner lane gets to exit at all turns, outer lane yields to inner lane, and outer lane is only allowed to exit at the NEXT exit.
Here in Oilberta, they added a rule that the outer lane can exit the next exit AND the one after that....(straight through). Makes no sense and introduces a collision point at the second exit....

With how many people who have no clue how a traffic circle works....this is just adding to stupidity.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 03:00 PM   #674
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Maybe, I guess I saw the rust dust as paint. Doing the test without an engine pretty much invalidates it as well it would seem to me.
I stand corrected, the engine (a straight-six) was actually there, and the dust is clay that had accumulated in the frame rails:

"This may seem hard to believe.. BUT, this ’59 in the video belonged to a friend of mine. In fact, I helped him sell it on my web site. (I have a ’59 Impala and I own a popular 1959 Chevy web site. I was tempted to buy this Belair, but passed.)
When we sold it, the guy from the East coast showed-up with $8,000.00 in cash and a trailer, and took it away. We had no idea it was destined for destruction.
This video has infuriated collector car people all over the world. The car was originally from Georgia, it was a six cylinder model. That red dust that comes out on impact is actually Georgia clay that had accumulated inside the frame rails. The car was not a ball of rust bondo-wagon!"

Source

Apparently, the Chevy x-frame from those years was extremely weak and explains the rather catastrophic injuries suffered by the Bel Air's driver (who would have been killed on the spot). Another car with a more conventional ladder frame might have fared differently.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-09-2023), Ultramaroon (12-08-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 01:27 AM   #675
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
As Musk says, "if you're in an accident with another car, you will win"...

On this, I'm out to trade my bicycle & trailer for an F-650. Or might just get a semi and be done with it. Be right back.
I have a motorcycle and 86, as a trauma/ortho nurse who takes care of patients who have lost limbs and function. Some believe they need to drive a tank to be safe. Few will buy a Cybertruck because they want to feel safer in an accident with another car. More icing on the cake for buyers.
Old 12-09-2023, 02:52 PM   #676
Irace86.2.0

We will see if the industry shifts, but it is likely in the long run. Sharing the tech means it will be cheaper and easier for Tesla to make their cars 48v, which they already plan to do.

https://insideevs.com/news/699798/te...-architecture/

Attached Images

alex87f (12-10-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 11:47 AM   #677
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
We will see if the industry shifts, but it is likely in the long run. Sharing the tech means it will be cheaper and easier for Tesla to make their cars 48v, which they already plan to do.

https://insideevs.com/news/699798/te...-architecture/

Hasnt the industry been trying to transition to 48v for ages and just never did?

Was there any benefit to using the 48v arch vs the 12 volt used currentlY?
Is this a case where much like the space shuttles and space equipment everything is still based on its 60's tech and hasnt really progressed much beyond that even though modern consumer tech is like a million times more powerful than that? And thats largely due to it just works, Its simpler and is compatible with everything? I mean in a car.....i think there just isnt very much benefit for using 48v vs the 12 v systems now.

Perhaps in a Tesla it will due to it being a ground-up electronic system.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 02:01 PM   #678
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
In aerospace the biggest benefit of using a higher voltage potential is ability to use smaller gauge conductors saving weight and slightly more efficient power usage. In a car, eh it’s already 4000lbs+ I’m curious of the benefits.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 04:38 PM   #679
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
2:00 Munro asks about the "$25k Tesla":

--"We are quite far advanced in that work."
--"The revolution in manufacturing that will be represented by that car will blow people's minds."
--"It's a level of production technology that is far in advance of any automotive plant on earth."
Like anything Musk/Tesla related, you have to take this with a large pinch of salt. Full Self Driving was meant to be here by 2018, Semis by 2019, new Roadster and Robotaxi by 2020 etc.

For everything they eventually deliver, they leave behind a lot of broken promises as well. Under promise and overdeliver are not part of their marketing strategy.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 05:55 PM   #680
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
In aerospace the biggest benefit of using a higher voltage potential is ability to use smaller gauge conductors saving weight and slightly more efficient power usage. In a car, eh it’s already 4000lbs+ I’m curious of the benefits.
Save a hundred dollars between the high and low voltage systems over a million cars a year is $100 million of savings. The savings is probably more.

It reduces the demand on copper too and may give them the option of running aluminum wiring.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:06 PM   #681
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
Like anything Musk/Tesla related, you have to take this with a large pinch of salt. Full Self Driving was meant to be here by 2018, Semis by 2019, new Roadster and Robotaxi by 2020 etc.

For everything they eventually deliver, they leave behind a lot of broken promises as well. Under promise and overdeliver are not part of their marketing strategy.
Yep, can’t project the financials.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2023, 08:49 PM   #682
Irace86.2.0

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0mQM...cxMWMzOWQ1OA==
Old 12-13-2023, 07:35 AM   #683
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Better wrapped, still not my thing.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 01:36 PM   #684
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
Save a hundred dollars between the high and low voltage systems over a million cars a year is $100 million of savings. The savings is probably more.

It reduces the demand on copper too and may give them the option of running aluminum wiring.
No, it’s not that simple. All your assembles and subsystems have to be designed around a new higher voltage architecture. That cost millions of dollars. You have to work with suppliers to get a new production lines stood up. That costs money, The cost in wire is negligible vs the weight savings. But again ICE and EVs are already too heavy. 50bs of extra harness/battery weight, eh. Aluminum wire wouldn’t be used as the tensile strength is much lower and it doesn’t conduct as well as copper. It is also more susceptible to breaking from the harmonic vibrations that all rolling chassis experience.

Lets note get into how much more expensive 48V batteries are vs 12V. That hypothetical $100 turns negative rather quickly.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:10 PM   #685
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
No, it’s not that simple. All your assembles and subsystems have to be designed around a new higher voltage architecture. That cost millions of dollars. You have to work with suppliers to get a new production lines stood up. That costs money, The cost in wire is negligible vs the weight savings. But again ICE and EVs are already too heavy. 50bs of extra harness/battery weight, eh. Aluminum wire wouldn’t be used as the tensile strength is much lower and it doesn’t conduct as well as copper. It is also more susceptible to breaking from the harmonic vibrations that all rolling chassis experience.

Lets note get into how much more expensive 48V batteries are vs 12V. That hypothetical $100 turns negative rather quickly.
Right. My example was just a hypothetical about how $100 over a million cars can add up, but the savings will be more than $100. There will likely be immediate savings, even considering the move to a 48v low-voltage battery, but it'll grow even more over time, especially with the price of copper going to go up because countries are building their grids and moving to EVs.

Quote:
Some Tesla cars use up to 82kg of copper. For example, Tesla’s Model S uses a mile of copper just in connecting the battery packs to all electronics.

As reported by MINING.COM, to achieve Tesla’s goal of building 20 million cars per year, the company would need 1,820,000 tonnes of copper, roughly 9% of global production in 2022 or almost two years of production at Escondida in Chile, the world’s largest copper mine.

Based on Musk’s prediction of a reduction to a quarter of today’s copper usage, at annual production of 20 million electric vehicles, the company could save more than 1.3 million tonnes, which equals over $10 billion at today’s prices (Source).
Quote:
The answer to that problem is 48, not 42 as Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would have you think. By upping the voltage to 48 instead of 12, the current drops 4 times. That means - in theory - 4 times thinner cables. It is estimated that Model S comes with about 60 kg of wiring with a cost upwards of $1,700. If Tesla really wants to deliver 20 million electric cars a year - eventually - saving more than $1,200 per car on wiring means extra $20 billion in savings (Source).
Saving 60kg/130lbs would be nice, but I'm guessing it is mostly about saving money and avoiding bottlenecks from material scarcity. FWIW, 12g aluminum can support the same current as 14g copper, but will weigh about half as much, so weight could drop another 10kg/22lbs, not to mention the price of aluminum is typically less than half the price of copper. Several car companies like Toyota and Honda use aluminum wiring already. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla could create a custom alloy from aluminum that meets their system needs.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:22 PM   #686
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
Right. My example was just a hypothetical about how $100 over a million cars can add up, but the savings will be more than $100. There will likely be immediate savings, even considering the move to a 48v low-voltage battery, but it'll grow even more over time, especially with the price of copper going to go up because countries are building their grids and moving to EVs.

Saving 60kg/130lbs would be nice, but I'm guessing it is mostly about saving money and avoiding bottlenecks from material scarcity. FWIW, 12g aluminum can support the same current as 14g copper, but will weigh about half as much, so weight could drop another 10kg/22lbs, not to mention the price of aluminum is typically less than half the price of copper. Several car companies like Toyota and Honda use aluminum wiring already. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla could create a custom alloy from aluminum that meets their system needs.

Ah, I see Tesla made the move to lithium accessory batteries back in 2021. The Li-ions batteries already go for 2X ~$200 more per unit than lead acid and the price increase wouldn't be dropping with more EVs coming on the market every year. Part of this strategy is about lessons learned and pulling value back lost from the original material change on past vehicles assuming this happens on more than one model. $200 more per battery on 1 million cars adds up fast. The engineering change cost is still getting ignored, but it easier to estimate material costs so I get it.
Wait, even if it was to be 48v on all new model wouldn't there be lack of reverse compatibility with the electronics of older models? So now you need to manufacture, and store parts for two voltage architectures??

The weight savings still isn't going to make a difference in the real world. It less than the average American woman.lol The general public doesn't care how much the car weighs. The Cyber truck is already 3tons+, a model S is 4600lbs. What is a 130lb going to do?
You are correct on some auto makers have been using aluminum already. I think Toyota is using it in their Rav4 Hybrid harness, check out "cablegate" sometime. But not worth delving more into as Tesla never said they were going to make use it.
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-14-2023)

Tags
knowitallsavingtheworld, longwindedcocksuckers