follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2021, 04:22 PM   #15
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostzfh View Post
Where do I start with flashing? I keep hearing about Ecutek and OFT. I'm kind of new to that stuff. How do I know which tune to flash to get a linear 1:1 pedal response?
If that is really important to you, I suggest you take your car to a tuner to have it done.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #16
ghostzfh

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@humfrz Is it not practical for an enthusiast to do it?
ghostzfh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghostzfh For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #17
humfrz

Quote:
@humfrz Is it not practical for an enthusiast to do it?
Oh, I suppose that if you really got "enthused" about it, wanted to spend the money and learn how to use the program, it would be OK -
Old 07-14-2021, 06:21 PM   #18
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
How do I know which tune to flash to get a linear 1:1 pedal response?
What do you mean by this? I know describing what you want throttle response wise is hard but 1:1 tells me nothing really.

My guess is what you're experiencing is a bit of a blend of what humfrz and soundman98 have suggested. You probably have adjusted to the feel of the car and it feels normal rather than sharp to you. Also most cars also feel more doughy in hot weather. The air is less dense and you are more prone to knock. Our ECU pulls timing LONG before you will hear or feel knock. The reduced timing makes the motor feel less sharp on top of just the effect from the hot air.

A drop in filter and a tune will wake the car up a bit and make it feel sharper in general. Modifying a car is a slippery slope tho. When you see the results and how easy it can be you'll probably want more....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-14-2021), soundman98 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 06:35 PM   #19
ghostzfh

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh, I suppose that if you really got "enthused" about it, wanted to spend the money and learn how to use the program, it would be OK -
@humfrz - Understood. But the practically of it? Does it just take way too much time to learn and a lot of money to spend for the average person? Is it synonymous with how an average person would rather take their car to a mechanic instead of learning about how cars work to swap out their transmission?
@Turdinator ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
You probably have adjusted to the feel of the car and it feels normal rather than sharp to you.
I remember how the car operated when I first bought it, and it has changed over time. I wouldn't consider it abnormal, or normal, it just is.

Quote:
Also most cars also feel more doughy in hot weather. The air is less dense and you are more prone to knock. Our ECU pulls timing LONG before you will hear or feel knock. The reduced timing makes the motor feel less sharp on top of just the effect from the hot air.
Agreed. It feels slightly better in colder weather, but the issue still persists even in cold weather.

Quote:
Modifying a car is a slippery slope tho.
Slippery slope...how?
The Following User Says Thank You to ghostzfh For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #20
humfrz

Quote:
@humfrz - Understood. But the practically of it? Does it just take way too much time to learn and a lot of money to spend for the average person? Is it synonymous with how an average person would rather take their car to a mechanic instead of learning about how cars work to swap out their transmission?
Oh, I don't mean to discourage you from learning how to work on your own car. That can be a very educational and rewarding experience.

I have a timing light, vacuum gauge, dwell meter, spark plug gauge, feeler gauge, compression gauge and many years experience tuning all kinds of ICE that has a distributor and a carburetor.

However, when they took away the distributor and carburetor, I fell behind -

Now, when my machine ain't running right, I take it up to my local, trusted automotive shop and ask them to fix it - .

Wanna hear about the time I changed out the clutch in my 1937 Chevrolet pickup truck, while it was parked outside in the barnyard, up hill, at night, during the winter, below freezing, with only a coal oil light to see by, with my grandfathers rusted tools from a tractor's tool box and it was snowing and the snow was blowing ....... both ways...... and did I mention it was uphill (both ways)?
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-14-2021), Turdinator (07-14-2021), Ultramaroon (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 11:07 PM   #21
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
@Turdinator ...
Applying a tune is easy peasy. Easier than swapping out the manual transmission on our cars. Learning to tune yourself and dialing it in would be harder and more time consuming than swapping out the transmission.

Generally people buy an off the shelf tune and apply it via Ecutek or use OFT that comes with tunes. The overview is that OFT is cheaper but you only have tunes from the one tuner and he doesn't really support our platform anymore. The tunes he made are pretty good tho and you can freely tweak parts of the tune as you see fit. Ecutek is a product for flashing new tunes and there are hundreds of tuners worldwide that use it. Some of the popular tuners are active on these forums and have premade tunes that cover the most common mods people do on our cars. There are some good write ups on the forum if you are interested in tunes and it will save me from typing paragraphs about it all if you find one of those.

Quote:
Agreed. It feels slightly better in colder weather, but the issue still persists even in cold weather.
My car seems to feel best when it is around 20c outside. Do you find its less responsive below the torque dip but still pretty good above it?

Quote:
Slippery slope...how?
It can be addictive...
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
ghostzfh (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 12:43 AM   #22
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I second the battery reset and accelerator relearn procedure as a first step.

1) Disconnect the negative terminal of your battery and leave it disconnected long enough so that the static voltage charges dissipate, a good 30 minutes should do it.

2) Reconnect the negative terminal, get in the car, turn the key to ON without starting the car and slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way down then all the way back up at least ten times. Then turn the car back off.

3) Make sure you have 93 octane in the tank, start it up and drive it for about ten minutes normally, then from there on, drive it aggressively.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 01:32 AM   #23
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Or maybe it's pulling throttle because of VSC. Before you unplug anything, do the pedal dance and see if the throttle response improves. Maybe yaw sensor is drifting out of cal. It pulls throttle way before the skid light comes on.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:59 AM   #24
ghostzfh

@Turdinator - Well, if the torque dip is around 4,500 (can't remember) then yes.
@humfrz - Definitely can picture you in the winter doing this
@FR-S2GT86 - A lot of people have suggested this....Maybe I'll try it, but I hate the fact that I'll have to do this constantly...
@Ultramaroon - Haha I read all your previous posts in the past on this problem. I love how adamant you are on the VSC thing. The only problem is that I don't want to turn off trac, vsc, and abs just to get the throttle fixed. I want to be able to fix the throttle and have those things on.

Honestly, I think the problem is due to the fact that my powertrain and engine got worn out badly from me learning how to drive manual on my car. All of those bad shifts and bad clutch engagements probably wore out the mechanical components compared to when the car was brand new. Not sure if anyone will agree with me on that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghostzfh For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-15-2021), Ultramaroon (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #25
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
From various dyno charts, most commonly torque dip is 3.5K-4K. Rarely issue for steady driving (usually 1.7-3K), and for performance driving on track (4K-redline).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:36 PM   #26
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
@Ultramaroon - Haha I read all your previous posts in the past on this problem. I love how adamant you are on the VSC thing. The only problem is that I don't want to turn off trac, vsc, and abs just to get the throttle fixed. I want to be able to fix the throttle and have those things on.
It SUCKS! haha...

This time it's really just to test. Throttle response is just fine in all but threshold cases unless "something's wrong." If you were to try it and discovered a dramatic difference when just driving normally, then I'd take it in for some quality time with Techstream for a tweak. Just a thought.

I disagree with your concern over wearing out the car. I bet it's just fine.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #27
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Honestly, I think the problem is due to the fact that my powertrain and engine got worn out badly from me learning how to drive manual on my car. All of those bad shifts and bad clutch engagements probably wore out the mechanical components compared to when the car was brand new. Not sure if anyone will agree with me on that.
i seriously doubt it.

i've never beaten on a car as much as i beat on this car every time i take it for a drive. i miss a shift and grind sycro's at least once for every 2 hours of driving, and that's a very generous assumption. it's probably more.. i genuinely expected my clutch to blow out by 40k miles. at 50k, it's still working, so anything after this is bonus time.

other than a squeaky clutch fork, my car drives the same now as the day it came off the lot, only difference being that i'm more confident wielding it now than i was back then.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:58 PM   #28
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i seriously doubt it.

i've never beaten on a car as much as i beat on this car every time i take it for a drive. i miss a shift and grind sycro's at least once for every 2 hours of driving, and that's a very generous assumption. it's probably more.. i genuinely expected my clutch to blow out by 40k miles. at 50k, it's still working, so anything after this is bonus time.

other than a squeaky clutch fork, my car drives the same now as the day it came off the lot, only difference being that i'm more confident wielding it now than i was back then.
"Wielding it"......like a sword......Ohhhh yeah.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas pedal, sensitivity, wear