follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2022, 08:59 AM   #855
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I have to wonder how many takes they have to do to get some of the marketing bullsh** statements that say nothing but sound so "intelligent" in the can.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:59 PM   #856
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I agree any new tech needs to balance weight reduction and range improvement, but not extreme range. Of course, everyone's optimal range differs.

I'd prefer to have a vehicle with not less than a 300 mile range, but would prefer 500. 500 meets all of my single day round trip needs and most of my single day one way needs. I'm good with one charging stop on a full days drive though so 300 works.

More efficient batteries potentially gives the buyer options. Making the battery you describe for the Tesla modular means the buyer could choose between, as an example, three ranges that are all useful but let the buyer decide what range/weight/etc they feel meets their needs.
I still think battery swapping is the better way to go for society. It is better than fast charging that degrades the batteries faster. Battery swapping is as fast as filling up a gas tank. Battery swapping means the batteries can be even smaller with no range anxiety.

I would love to see a model where car manufacturers, car manufacturer groups or battery manufacturers like Panasonic own the batteries. Only the car is purchased and the battery is bought/rented/leased as a separate purchase or included, and it could be an option, but regardless, a person basically can buy new shells and just continually swap modular batteries. Going on a camping trip or needing to tow a boat in your EV truck, well, swap in the premium/long range battery for the day or weekend, maybe for a surcharge or the standard or economy battery. Why carry a big battery around all the time?

The manufacturer can slow-charge the batteries for better longevity. They can recycle the batteries or transition them to grid storage instead of doing a buy-back/tade-in program.

Tesla moved away from swapping because of lack of interest, but that was probably because luxury car buyers have homes and garages to charge, and because Tesla never set up a system for swapping that removed liability like Niro. Tesla now has an integrated battery that is part of the structure, which they say saved weight, so this could be good for many buyers, but I see swapping as the ideal model for the masses.
Capt Spaulding (06-30-2022), Dadhawk (06-29-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 02:42 PM   #857
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I still think battery swapping is the better way to go for society. It is better than fast charging that degrades the batteries faster. Battery swapping is as fast as filling up a gas tank. Battery swapping means the batteries can be even smaller with no range anxiety.
There are many technological problems with that, and let's not start on the psychological ones (swapping a fresh battery for an old one, swapped battery that stops working, etc). A great idea in theory, but probably not realistic for passenger cars. It might work for fleets and/or heavy duty vehicles, though.
Ohio Enthusiast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-28-2022), soundman98 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 03:10 PM   #858
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
...Tesla now has an integrated battery that is part of the structure, which they say saved weight, so this could be good for many buyers, but I see swapping as the ideal model for the masses.
I think pretty much every manufacturer has this now. GM's new battery tech is basically the entire rolling chassis of the car.

I agree with @Ohio Enthusiast it's a good idea in theory but probably not practical in the long run.

Since I have a preorder for a Lyriq AWD I've been playing around with routes as most of the 3rd party route planning software has the Lyriq in it now. A trip we plan to take next week that is a little over 500 miles, would require us to leave at 90%, stop once for a recharge of 30 minutes and still arrive with what I consider a safe margin of charge. That's practical to me.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 06-29-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (06-30-2022), Irace86.2.0 (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 04:50 PM   #859
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I think pretty much every manufacturer has this now. GM's new battery tech is basically the entire rolling chassis of the car.

I agree with @Ohio Enthusiast it's a good idea in theory but probably not practical in the long run.

Since I have a preorder for a Lyriq AWD I've been playing around with routes (most of the 3rd party route planning software has the Lyriq in it now. A trip we plan to take next week that is a little over 500 miles, would require us to leave at 90%, stop once for a recharge of 30 minutes and still arrive with what I consider a safe margin of charge. That's practical to me.
Yeah every car manufacturer with an EV chassis is basically using the same skateboard chassis setup...the flat battery pack takes up the entire floor, the motors are over the axles and depending on how big/tall they are could allow a frunk. I dont know how you even design a more efficient setup than that....
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-29-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 05:26 PM   #860
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I would love to see a model where car manufacturers, car manufacturer groups or battery manufacturers like Panasonic own the batteries. Only the car is purchased and the battery is bought/rented/leased as a separate purchase or included, and it could be an option, but regardless, a person basically can buy new shells and just continually swap modular batteries. Going on a camping trip or needing to tow a boat in your EV truck, well, swap in the premium/long range battery for the day or weekend, maybe for a surcharge or the standard or economy battery. Why carry a big battery around all the time?

The manufacturer can slow-charge the batteries for better longevity. They can recycle the batteries or transition them to grid storage instead of doing a buy-back/tade-in program.

Tesla moved away from swapping because of lack of interest, but that was probably because luxury car buyers have homes and garages to charge, and because Tesla never set up a system for swapping that removed liability like Niro. Tesla now has an integrated battery that is part of the structure, which they say saved weight, so this could be good for many buyers, but I see swapping as the ideal model for the masses.
you know...all of these EV solutions for problems that are a logistical nightmare when having to scale it up to automotive size.....however impractical they are always seems to be to spend more money......

-Gas prices pissing you off? Spend a huge upfront cost for an EV and its charging. you'll save in the long run..(have to reach the break even point first before you actually see savings)
-EV not practical enough for your road trips and you dont have a second car? Spend money and rent a car!
-EV road trip takes longer than normal? Spend money for a hotel if you have to stay overnight to make it work!
-Battery charging annoys you? just swap out the batteries!!! you cant practially do it yourself so you likely have to spend money at a swap station to swap it out!
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:22 PM   #861
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
There are many technological problems with that, and let's not start on the psychological ones (swapping a fresh battery for an old one, swapped battery that stops working, etc). A great idea in theory, but probably not realistic for passenger cars. It might work for fleets and/or heavy duty vehicles, though.
You’re late to the game. There are already thousands of battery swapping stations worldwide. This isn’t just an idea that only has a proof of concept. It is active and rapidly expanding

Quote:
So far, NIO has provided over 5.3 million swaps to users in China. Automatic battery and electric system checks are performed during each swap to keep both the vehicle and battery in shape. In December, NIO installed its 700th battery-swap station in China, hitting its annual target ahead of schedule.
https://www.electronicdesign.com/mar...-pace-in-china

Skip to 4:30
Old 06-28-2022, 06:47 PM   #862
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
you know...all of these EV solutions for problems that are a logistical nightmare when having to scale it up to automotive size.....however impractical they are always seems to be to spend more money......

-Gas prices pissing you off? Spend a huge upfront cost for an EV and its charging. you'll save in the long run..(have to reach the break even point first before you actually see savings)
-EV not practical enough for your road trips and you dont have a second car? Spend money and rent a car!
-EV road trip takes longer than normal? Spend money for a hotel if you have to stay overnight to make it work!
-Battery charging annoys you? just swap out the batteries!!! you cant practially do it yourself so you likely have to spend money at a swap station to swap it out!
It is what it is. We are what, ten years into EV cars at any type of scale to say we were being serious about EV tech and solutions? Give it time. They should be cheaper than an ICE equivalent eventually from the POS, and those grievances won’t really be issues.

Supercharging and public charging is free for some and costs almost as much as filling up with gas for others, which is why most charge at home because it is cheaper. I think battery swapping will be fairly cheap for people who don’t have the means to recharge at home or who need a swap for a long trip or day of towing their boat to the lake. It would be no different than heading to the gas station, but probably faster than filling up a large tank on a truck. Battery swapping makes a lot of sense for semis.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-free-in-china

Quote:
Nio has been charging about $25 for each battery swap, according to Automotive News, or about $130 for a monthly subscription, although the company included 12 free battery swaps a year for early reservation-holders and those who bought the Founders Edition version of its upscale ES8 electric SUV.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:13 PM   #863
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
It is almost the ideal set up for transports. Pull into a quick change station and be back on the road in less time than filling two 150 gallon diesel tanks.

Passenger car owner are not going to want to sacrifice the space needed for swappable.

Besides I would hate digging through my junk drawer for a good replacement battery all the time.
Dadhawk (06-29-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 07:21 PM   #864
Tcoat

Quote:
It is what it is. We are what, ten years into EV cars at any type of scale to say we were being serious about EV tech and solutions? Give it time. They should be cheaper than an ICE equivalent eventually from the POS, and those grievances won’t really be issues.
Electric cars were the leaders in the very beginning. Gas was hard to get and very expensive. The tech was taking off but then gas got cheap (and the oil companies suppressed the battery tech as they got richer) cars started reaching more areas that still didn't even HAVE electricity and... well e know the rest of the story.

Now things are going back to that beginning. Imagine where we would be with battery tech by now if it had progressed alongside ICE for the last 150 years or so!

https://www.energy.gov/articles/history-electric-car
Capt Spaulding (06-30-2022), Dadhawk (06-29-2022), Irace86.2.0 (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 07:34 PM   #865
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Yeah every car manufacturer with an EV chassis is basically using the same skateboard chassis setup...the flat battery pack takes up the entire floor, the motors are over the axles and depending on how big/tall they are could allow a frunk. I dont know how you even design a more efficient setup than that....
Almost everyone. Not Lotus. While the skateboard design is ideal for most setups and would make battery swapping ideal, Lotus put the batteries more over the rear wheels for its sports cars so the ride height and seat position are lower. They might still slide out. Another EV track hypercar I watched has batteries that require removal to recharge and slide right out. They were upright, but I think the reason was for packaging and for more weight down low and over the rear wheels.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/202...923-lotus.html
Old 06-28-2022, 07:36 PM   #866
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It is almost the ideal set up for transports. Pull into a quick change station and be back on the road in less time than filling two 150 gallon diesel tanks.

Passenger car owner are not going to want to sacrifice the space needed for swappable.

Besides I would hate digging through my junk drawer for a good replacement battery all the time.
Sacrificing what space?
Old 06-28-2022, 07:42 PM   #867
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Electric cars were the leaders in the very beginning. Gas was hard to get and very expensive. The tech was taking off but then gas got cheap (and the oil companies suppressed the battery tech as they got richer) cars started reaching more areas that still didn't even HAVE electricity and... well e know the rest of the story.

Now things are going back to that beginning. Imagine where we would be with battery tech by now if it had progressed alongside ICE for the last 150 years or so!

https://www.energy.gov/articles/history-electric-car
Yes, Jay Leno always laments all his vehicles for their maintenance, while praising his Baker electric. Where we could have been with an extra 100 years of EV tech or even thirty years after the GM EV1…

Capt Spaulding (06-30-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 08:06 PM   #868
Tcoat

Quote:
Sacrificing what space?
As mentioned a built in battery can be spread out. A removable has to be one or two easily accessible units with all the connectors, tracks, restraints and other odds and ends required to make secure but still easy to swap. That will take up space. Sure it can be incorporated into the design but it is still "lost" space all the same.
Dadhawk (06-29-2022)