follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2022, 05:58 PM   #785
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
What do you think the actual odds are the first gen twins go to ES in the next ~2 years?
1000:1
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (06-14-2022), Kelse92 (06-14-2022), strat61caster (06-13-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 07:31 AM   #786
steverife

Quote:
What do you think the actual odds are the first gen twins go to ES in the next ~2 years? Seems nuts they're still there with the gen 2 and CTR.

If not, I've heavily thought about going to STX with SSC not being an option for 2017+. It seems these cars really come alive when you can get some front camber in them in either class.

I did some quick math and you basically need to improve your times 1.22% in raw to meet the same PAX position. For a prior event I did, I had a 36.343 and I'd only need a 35.899 to get the exact same score. The 245's with much wider whees, coilovers, and header + tune I think would easily offset those.

We had an STX driver getting a 34.036 on the same course. We had SSC drivers in the mid 35's easily and good drivers in the 34's. So to get a mid-35 or even high 34's's seems completely do-able with a fixed torque dip, 245's, Yoks, and coilovers.

Thoughts? DS is just nuts for this car. The gen 2's are a full second quicker on a ~30 second course.
First, STX is fantastic. I love my car. I love autocrossing it. I spent embarassing money on exhaust and tune for not a ton of gains, but I never think about that in the car because it transforms the car.

With that said, what is the end goal? Is it overall PAX? If you are displeased with DS because you are getting thumped, is PAXing a bit better, but getting thumped in STX much different? I don't think STX trim gets you from 36.3 to a 34.0.
The Following User Says Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 08:26 AM   #787
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
With that said, what is the end goal? Is it overall PAX? If you are displeased with DS because you are getting thumped, is PAXing a bit better, but getting thumped in STX much different? I don't think STX trim gets you from 36.3 to a 34.0.
I mainly look at overall PAX now since DS is a clusterfuck. We don't have a lot of ST drivers in general and many of those may not be fully setup for the class. For example, DS had 15 drivers this weekend, STX had 1 and it was a semi-prepared RSX.

Steel Cities is quite competitive. I once broke into the top 1/4 overall in PAX, but I'm usually around the top 1/3. I'd be really pleased to be in the top 1/4 consistently.

I guess I'm looking at the car and less at myself because my co-driver for the first half of the season here used to own a first gen and last year was in the top 1/10th of PAX in a GS Civic Si many events. If we're both in my BRZ and we're right within a tenth of each other almost every event, I'm thinking it's less about me and more about the car being at the low end in DS. I feel like I'm doing a lot right in the driving department.

That example of a 36.4 vs a 34.0 was with Todd Kunze who was visiting from OH. I know he's a good driver. But hell, even if STX trim got me to 35.0 from that 36.4, that would have moved me up in PAX a good bit.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:56 AM   #788
steverife

Quote:
I mainly look at overall PAX now since DS is a clusterfuck. We don't have a lot of ST drivers in general and many of those may not be fully setup for the class. For example, DS had 15 drivers this weekend, STX had 1 and it was a semi-prepared RSX.

Steel Cities is quite competitive. I once broke into the top 1/4 overall in PAX, but I'm usually around the top 1/3. I'd be really pleased to be in the top 1/4 consistently.

I guess I'm looking at the car and less at myself because my co-driver for the first half of the season here used to own a first gen and last year was in the top 1/10th of PAX in a GS Civic Si many events. If we're both in my BRZ and we're right within a tenth of each other almost every event, I'm thinking it's less about me and more about the car being at the low end in DS. I feel like I'm doing a lot right in the driving department.

That example of a 36.4 vs a 34.0 was with Todd Kunze who was visiting from OH. I know he's a good driver. But hell, even if STX trim got me to 35.0 from that 36.4, that would have moved me up in PAX a good bit.
Yeah. I've ran with or against most of the top Steel Cities folks and my last 2 autocross cars ended up in that region. They seem to really like to travel to Bristol and Charlotte a lot at the beginning and end of the year.

You don't have to go crazy with STX, but you do want to touch all the big things (wheels/tires, some kind of coilovers, header, tune, camber adjustment) to be competitive. I spent money on exhaust/tune, but I'm on ProParts Megans, left over SSC front sway bar, and OEM diff and I think my car is good enough to win anywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #789
RT-BRZ
FNG

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Todd is definitely an outlier. Since he runs in our region (OVR) and I get to see him against a lot of decent ST cars, I have a good feel of how he drives and he's just in a different class. He's a great driver, he knows his car very well apparently and he figures out the courses really quickly. He may not be the best bet to compare against but that's just my impression of what I see on a regular basis.

We have one of our regulars that is very good running a new GR86 that might be a good measure for you. Come on out and check us out. Our site isn't nearly as grand as what you're used to but we have very good pavement so that helps a lot.
RT-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 02:37 PM   #790
MacSpeed

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The problem is he has the Brembos, so no RPF1 in 7.5" is going to fit to my knowledge. The spokes are not curved enough to clear the brakes. If it just had the normal brakes, no problem and RPF1's are a good, light option.
even with a 7mm spacer? Ouch.
MacSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:29 PM   #791
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSpeed View Post
even with a 7mm spacer? Ouch.

With a 17x8 RPF1 within street class offset rules, do actually fit. The 8 inch ones curve the spokes more and clear the Brembos.

... but we're stuck here with 7.5" lol.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:10 PM   #792
kraftyone

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I ended up with a set of Sparco wheels with a 48 offset they clear perfect but it is close with a 225 tire and the springs. I am considering putting 7mm spacers on it

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
kraftyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:40 PM   #793
otter

Drives: 22 BRZ
Dumb question time - specific to the new generation twins - what is the Koni centering washer and is it required when running the Koni Sports on the new generation in SCCA DS? I can't seem to find any information what this is, what it does, if it existss, etc. I've searched this thread and found one mention of it. Reason I'm asking is that the small bit I've heard about it says it's required for the class. Left a couple voicemails for Koni and haven't gotten a call back.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:44 PM   #794
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Dumb question time - specific to the new generation twins - what is the Koni centering washer and is it required when running the Koni Sports on the new generation in SCCA DS? I can't seem to find any information what this is, what it does, if it existss, etc. I've searched this thread and found one mention of it. Reason I'm asking is that the small bit I've heard about it says it's required for the class. Left a couple voicemails for Koni and haven't gotten a call back.
Factory front strut has a tapered bolt in the Top hole, one side of the hole is larger then the other. Instead of copying this koni put big holes on both sides of the strut, with the bigger hole you can get more camber then allowed by factory, it’s basically a ‘slotted’ aftermarket strut and thus not Street legal. Koni should be able to provide a washer that constricts one hole mimicking the original strut design. Shame they’re not responding to you, posting their contact page below just in case you’re calling/emailing the wrong address.

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...About/Contact/

My only alternative is contacting a koni dealer that’s Motorsports affiliated to act as a go between since you’re not buying from koni directly anyway. Off the top of my head; Stranoparts, ProParts USA, or Tirerack will likely be willing to make at least a phone call or two to get your business.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:23 PM   #795
otter

Drives: 22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Factory front strut has a tapered bolt in the Top hole, one side of the hole is larger then the other. Instead of copying this koni put big holes on both sides of the strut, with the bigger hole you can get more camber then allowed by factory, it’s basically a ‘slotted’ aftermarket strut and thus not Street legal. Koni should be able to provide a washer that constricts one hole mimicking the original strut design. Shame they’re not responding to you, posting their contact page below just in case you’re calling/emailing the wrong address.

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...About/Contact/

My only alternative is contacting a koni dealer that’s Motorsports affiliated to act as a go between since you’re not buying from koni directly anyway. Off the top of my head; Stranoparts, ProParts USA, or Tirerack will likely be willing to make at least a phone call or two to get your business.
Thank you, this helps a lot. I'll persist on bugging koni then. Doesn't matter for locals but don't want to open my codriver up to protests on a stupid technicality at Nats (I'm too slow).
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:09 PM   #796
kraftyone

Best run of the day for me at Phila. SCCA autox 6/19/22 at Ripken stadium. Finished 4th in DS out of 7 and 92nd in PAX

Last edited by kraftyone; 06-22-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:42 AM   #797
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,472 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftyone View Post
Best run of the day for me at Phila. SCCA autox 6/19/22 at Rioken stadium. Finished 4th in DS out of 7 and 92nd in PAX

What tires are you on? You were hitting all the right marks, but I rarely heard much tire noise, only really in that far 180 right hander

I was the blue STR BRZ in front of you, I posted my video in the 2022 STR thread for comparison. Obviously faster car/setup but still
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
kraftyone (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 01:04 PM   #798
kraftyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
What tires are you on? You were hitting all the right marks, but I rarely heard much tire noise, only really in that far 180 right hander

I was the blue STR BRZ in front of you, I posted my video in the 2022 STR thread for comparison. Obviously faster car/setup but still
Falken Azenis rt615k+. This was only my 3rd autox ever. I definitely think I am not being aggressive enough, as I thought my lines were pretty good but my times didn't show it.