follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2022, 04:33 PM   #1
larryt

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Performance Package Dust Cover / Shield

Is the dust cover the same for the Brembo's on the Performance Package (2018) as they are for the standard OEM brakes. Researching part numbers it appears so, but knowing the disk is bigger and seeing how it fits with the standard disk makes me think that could be wrong. I appreciate any help from anyone with experience with this situation!
larryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:56 PM   #2
Poogchomp

Drives: Chevrolet Ram 250
I don't think they'd physically be the same since you'd have to modify the non PP dust covers to get larger rotors to fit.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:35 AM   #3
larryt

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poogchomp View Post
I don't think they'd physically be the same since you'd have to modify the non PP dust covers to get larger rotors to fit.
What would that modification be?
larryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:34 AM   #4
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryt View Post
Is the dust cover the same for the Brembo's on the Performance Package (2018) as they are for the standard OEM brakes. Researching part numbers it appears so, but knowing the disk is bigger and seeing how it fits with the standard disk makes me think that could be wrong. I appreciate any help from anyone with experience with this situation!
No they are not the same.

The PP Dust shields are physically larger than the Base dust shield to accommodate the larger rotors. They have distinct part numbers for each set. I swapped out to PP Dust shields when I installed my BBK.

Often, people elect to remove their front dust shields out of convenience (and potentially improved cooling).

When people say they "modify" the base dust shields to get a BBK to fit, they usually refer to the rear dust shields. Some people elect to just trim the rear dust shield as a matter of convenience, since to replace the rear dust shield requires removing the parking brake assembly, slip the rear axle away, and remove it from the rear wheel hub IIRC. Since the rear dust shield is pretty much the carrier for the parking brake, they are pretty expensive (~$90 each new) compared to the front dust shields (~$20 each)

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 03-19-2022 at 03:10 AM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:58 PM   #5
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
No they are not the same.

The PP Dust shields are physically larger than the Base dust shield to accommodate the larger rotors. They have distinct part numbers for each set. I swapped out to PP Dust shields when I installed my BBK.

Often, people elect to remove their front dust shields out of convenience (and potentially improved cooling).

When people say they "modify" the base dust shields to get a BBK to fit, they usually refer to the rear dust shields. Some people elect to just trim the rear dust shield as a matter of convenience, since to replace the rear dust shield requires removing the parking brake assembly, slip the rear axle away, and remove it from the rear wheel hub IIRC. Since the rear dust shield is pretty much the carrier for the parking brake, they are pretty expensive (~$90 each new) compared to the front dust shields (~$20 each)

The rear dust shields are spot welded on IIRC unlike the fronts that are bolted on. Removing the assembly would make modifying the rear shields much easier to trim the edges so the larger rotors would fit though. I'm not aware of after market dust shields for the rears that are bolt-ons
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:23 PM   #6
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
The rear dust shields are spot welded on IIRC unlike the fronts that are bolted on. Removing the assembly would make modifying the rear shields much easier to trim the edges so the larger rotors would fit though. I'm not aware of after market dust shields for the rears that are bolt-ons
The shield portion is spot welded onto the parking brake carrier, that's true. The "mod" is cutting/removing the shield portion to fit a BBK. However, that's not the only option

The dust shield on its own is not sold as a separate component. You need to order a whole parking brake carrier with integrated dust shield.

You can replace the whole base parking brake carrier for a PP parking brake carrier (the major difference being the diameter of the welded-on dust shield). This is why the "rear dust shield" is so expensive and involved to get to. You're replacing the entire carrier. Obviously, this only works if the BBK system you're installing matches the rear PP disk diameter. If you're installing a larger/different system, cutting it off might really be your only choice. (The same can be said of compatibility for the front PP dust shields if your BBK system rotor doesn't match in diameter.)
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
saltywetman (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 08:34 AM   #7
saltywetman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
The shield portion is spot welded onto the parking brake carrier, that's true. The "mod" is cutting/removing the shield portion to fit a BBK. However, that's not the only option

The dust shield on its own is not sold as a separate component. You need to order a whole parking brake carrier with integrated dust shield.

You can replace the whole base parking brake carrier for a PP parking brake carrier (the major difference being the diameter of the welded-on dust shield). This is why the "rear dust shield" is so expensive and involved to get to. You're replacing the entire carrier. Obviously, this only works if the BBK system you're installing matches the rear PP disk diameter. If you're installing a larger/different system, cutting it off might really be your only choice. (The same can be said of compatibility for the front PP dust shields if your BBK system rotor doesn't match in diameter.)
Good to know. Wish I knew about this, would've ordered the assembly from Subaru since the only Toyota option would be the assembly off the limited 2019 edition.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:56 PM   #8
Espi

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryt View Post
17 BRZ and I ordered the correct part number for the upgrade on the dust covers. I remember putting them both together side by side. They are the same I ended up not using them as a result.
Espi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:28 AM   #9
saltywetman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
17 BRZ and I ordered the correct part number for the upgrade on the dust covers. I remember putting them both together side by side. They are the same I ended up not using them as a result.
this is with the park brake assembly? so it's exactly the same between normal and PP editions?
Old 04-04-2022, 09:16 AM   #10
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
this is with the park brake assembly? so it's exactly the same between normal and PP editions?
No they are not the same for the rears.

The part numbers for the brembo rears are

26704VA000
26704VA010
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote