follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2021, 03:11 AM   #1
GiannisK

Drives: 2015 Toyota Gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking New to FI scene

Hello fellow 86 enthusiasts.

I recently purchased an HKS v3 supercharger from FT-speed for my 2015 GT86. Waiting for delivery around July and in the meantime i wanted to know what other mods would be MANDATORY to keep the engine safe. I won't push the car much as i requested for my ecutek map to be around 270whp. Already ordered a 3-bar map sensor with it and the mishimoto intercooler.

I am planning on getting an oil catch can as I've heard it is a requirement along with P3 gauge to monitor boost and AFR (brand recommendations for catch can and gauge are welcome) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152747483550

What else would you guys recommend.

Current setup is tomei UEL headers, invidia overpipe, 200 cel sports cat, invidia n2 catback exhaust, Grimmspeed intake.

Would appreciate any input.
Thanks in advance
GiannisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:29 AM   #2
Boccaccio
CAD monkey

Drives: '15 GT86 Giallo - Supercharged
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey, GiannisK

From the top of my head:

Quality tune paired (PM @tomm.brz) with quality fuel (knock resistant combination) + 40 weight engine oil (as per HKS recommendation, I would suggest a quality Group IV/V engine oil; Millers CFS, Gulf Competition, Motul 300V, Ravenol RUP/RCS,...).

Oil catch can? Want the best air/oil separator? Mann Provent 100 or 200. I'm currently fabricating a reworked Mann ProVent 200 with a bespoke mounting plate.

Living in Cyprus, it can get "hot" there, so consider an oil cooler (was there a typo with the "mishimoto intercooler"? Did you mean oil cooler?). If your budget allows, I highly suggest the HKS oil cooler.

I would also swap out the OE PCV valve and replace it with the WRX one (for the FA20DIT engine). The stock NA FA20 PCV valve can/will leak "boost" into the crankcase.

Last edited by Boccaccio; 05-24-2021 at 04:35 AM.
Boccaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #3
GiannisK

Hello @Boccaccio and thanks for the quick reply.

The tune was sent to me by HKS with the ECUTEC based on my current mods and 98 octane Gas which is the best we have in Cyprus.

As for engine oil i will switch to Motul 300V as this is the most recommended i could find and you recommended it as well so that's 1 more +

For Oil catch can/ air/oil separator i was thinking of the AVOWORLD one which comes with a PCV valve https://avoturbo.com/forced-inductio...z-frs-86-fa20/, the MANN provent 100/200 you mentioned seems to be for diesel only in their website unless it doesn't really matter if its for diesel or petrol.

As for the mishimoto yeah i meant to say oil cooler not intercooler :P i already paid for this one so that's out of the picture, hope it's a good one.

For the PCV valve i've seen a thread around here saying that it is a usual suspect to boost leak so i guess your are right. Would the one i posted above do the trick , cant seem to find the WRX one, if you could provide a link i would appreciate it. There is also this one
https://www.torqen.uk/toyota/toyota-...t-20-0101.html

As for the PCV from the WRX i found this post from another thread here "All FI applications will increase blowby gases. Managing that excess blowby gases can be done with a catch can that is vented to atmosphere or one that is closed, which may be necessary for emissions. You could not do catch cans and just upgrade your PCV valve to a WRX one from a FA20DIT motor, but you will likely see more crap collecting in the intake." If this is true then it would be best to go for the PCV catch can then?.

Looking forward to your reply.

Kudos for the help brother
Old 05-18-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
Boccaccio
CAD monkey

No problem

Turbodiesel engines tend to run at higher compression ratios and produce more blow-by compared to their gasoline counterparts. Using the ProVent is a non-issue.

Mann is one of the few companies, who incorporate a high quality, bespoke, coalescing media to catch the liquid state of the blow-by gases while providing minimal pressure drops. The company is the forerunner when it comes to filtration media.

Personally, I wouldn't vent to atmosphere. Firstly, I don't like the "smell" and secondly, an effective closed PCV - Air/oil separation system uses the manifold vacuum to further help evacuating the blow-by gases and also provides a tiny fraction of piston ring sealing thus actually reducing the amount of blow-by.

As for the PCV valve part #, here you go:

11810AA140

Cheers
Old 05-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
GiannisK

Great information brother thanks once again, i will order the Mann provent 200 as you suggested and the WRX PCV valve.

Anything else noteworthy or would these suffice to keeping my engine "safe".
Old 05-24-2021, 04:35 AM   #6
Boccaccio
CAD monkey

Check your inbox

Will try to provide some further information in there without spamming this thread.

Tags
forced induction, hks supercharger