follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 01-25-2023, 07:21 PM   #5839
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikachuBRZ View Post
I'm not finding any FA parts for plasma from IPs website. I see EJ, s2000, and Evo kits. Are these the same as the quad spark? I'm almost at 80k so replacing coils is coming soon either way.

Would I run into trouble running the ID1050 on an NA motor? I'm chasing some weird LTFT behavior and considering replacing injectors. I feel like if I'm already at -17 bigger injectors will probably make it more rich. I think it could be a janky/burble tune too but I'm not trying to derail into NA troubleshooting.

Speaking of burbles, will a properly tuned JRSC have noticeable pops and burbles? I currently have some and I'm not a fan. I bet my neighbors like it even less.

Clutch may be upgraded already. People who have driven other twins say it does not feel stock at all so we'll see how it holds up.

Thanks for the help!
No issues with 1050X on a NA engine, but you'll need a tune.

Zero burbles except perhaps on a high rpm WOT upshift.

Are you up to date on maintenance?

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/b...86-subaru-brz/
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (01-25-2023), PikachuBRZ (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 07:53 PM   #5840
PikachuBRZ
waiting on yellow gas

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series.Yellow #247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
No issues with 1050X on a NA engine, but you'll need a tune.

Zero burbles except perhaps on a high rpm WOT upshift.

Are you up to date on maintenance?

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/b...86-subaru-brz/
Probably a little behind on maintenance. Looking to do plugs, coils, timing chain, trans/diff fluids, oil control valve, and accessory belt once it's above 20*F and I'm ok spending that much time outside. I figured the fluidampr would go well with the timing chain and accessory belt replacement and the injectors with the FF swap. I bought the car at 69k and don't have a real service record so I'm not sure how fresh any of those are. I already had to do some work to get the suspension back up to snuff before it was miserable outside all the time and cleaned the TB and MAF.

Current plan is maintenance>wheels and tires>FF+injectors>JRSC+JROC. IDK if ill do timing chain at 80 or wait for 100k. I'm just trying to avoid having to redo things multiple times in the process.

If I get a CSG tune for the FF and injectors then add the JRSC would that be considered a revision or a whole new tune?

oh and could you clarify which IP coils you were referring too?

Last edited by PikachuBRZ; 01-25-2023 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Timing chain not belt. Too many belts on the brain
PikachuBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:05 PM   #5841
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Probably a little behind on maintenance. Looking to do plugs, coils, timing belt, trans/diff fluids, oil control valve, and accessory belt once it's above 20*F and I'm ok spending that much time outside. I figured the fluidampr would go well with the timing and accessory belt replacement and the injectors with the FF swap. I bought the car at 69k and don't have a real service record so I'm not sure how fresh any of those are. I already had to do some work to get the suspension back up to snuff before it was miserable outside all the time and cleaned the TB and MAF.

Current plan is maintenance>wheels and tires>FF+injectors>JRSC+JROC. IDK if ill do timing belt at 80 or wait for 100k. I'm just trying to avoid having to redo things multiple times in the process.

If I get a CSG tune for the FF and injectors then add the JRSC would that be considered a revision or a whole new tune?

That would be a whole new tune, but re-tunes are discounted.

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/i...-86-subaru-brz

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/i...-brz-scion-frs
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
PikachuBRZ (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 09:09 PM   #5842
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Probably a little behind on maintenance. Looking to do plugs, coils, timing belt, trans/diff fluids, oil control valve, and accessory belt once it's above 20*F and I'm ok spending that much time outside. I figured the fluidampr would go well with the timing and accessory belt replacement and the injectors with the FF swap. I bought the car at 69k and don't have a real service record so I'm not sure how fresh any of those are. I already had to do some work to get the suspension back up to snuff before it was miserable outside all the time and cleaned the TB and MAF.

Current plan is maintenance>wheels and tires>FF+injectors>JRSC+JROC. IDK if ill do timing belt at 80 or wait for 100k. I'm just trying to avoid having to redo things multiple times in the process.

Our engines have no timing belt. We have timing chains.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:55 PM   #5843
PikachuBRZ
waiting on yellow gas

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series.Yellow #247
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
Our engines have no timing belt. We have timing chains.
True but I think everybody knew what I meant. In my defense I just spent 4 days reading about belts.
PikachuBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:17 AM   #5844
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMChris View Post
Depends on when they purchased the kit. In 2017 the kits were slightly changed so they would also fit the 17+ bumpers.
So if they got it in 2020 from CSG it is likely the updated kit I presume?
Old 01-26-2023, 12:38 PM   #5845
JDMChris

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JDMChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasaur View Post
So if they got it in 2020 from CSG it is likely the updated kit I presume?
Yes. Then it should fit with no issues.
JDMChris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDMChris For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (01-26-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 01:30 AM   #5846
Teppka

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Hi to all. I’m thinking about force induction for my 2019 AT BRZ, but as probably everyone else I’m concerned with reliability. I have completely stock engine with custom catback exhaust with increased diameter.

As I went through the forum I saw people say 7psi safe boost for pump gas, which is 95 octane in east Europe where I live. I’m thinking about JR C30 SC kit for my BRZ. Don’t plan to track it but I just can’t get used to the torque dip. So I want to go with most reliable FI solution, no crazy horsepower.

My question is what psi boost does C30 kit provides? Interestingly enough I couldn’t find this info in the internet or on JR product page. Also, to make sure it will be reliable, do I need to add internal supporting mods like forged rods/pistons? If yes will it guarantee that engine?
Teppka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:31 AM   #5847
Teppka

Hi to all. I’m thinking about force induction for my 2019 AT BRZ, but as probably everyone else I’m concerned with reliability. I have completely stock engine with custom catback exhaust with increased diameter.

As I went through the forum I saw people say 7psi safe boost for pump gas, which is 95 octane in east Europe where I live. I’m thinking about JR C30 SC kit for my BRZ. Don’t plan to track it but I just can’t get used to the torque dip. So I want to go with most reliable FI solution, no crazy horsepower.

My question is what psi boost does C30 kit provides? Interestingly enough I couldn’t find this info in the internet or on JR product page. Also, to make sure it will be reliable, do I need to add internal supporting mods like forged rods/pistons? If yes will it guarantee that engine?
Old 02-03-2023, 02:18 AM   #5848
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
if you onyl have access to 95RON,, that will be shitty with boost and limit the advance timings a lot
It will work and give you some power for sure, but it will be knock limited a lot
that jr c30 kit should be ok, alternative a hks v3, or a v2 with stock restrictor in place
All those kit will overcome 0.5bar of boost eventually at higher rpm

Best things for you to do if you do upgrade the internals is to drop the static compression to something like 11.5:1

or

go turbo like a greddy t518z, more efficient than the supercharger (also more fun in street driving imho) and max boost stock is around 0.5bar
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 03:43 AM   #5849
Teppka

It’s octane, not RON here in Turkey. I have access to 95 and 97 octane gasoline.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:54 AM   #5850
tomm.brz

Are you sure?
i would be amazed at knowing that in ur whole country the minimum rating is 95 OCT (which could be something like 102-103 RON in american standards)
Also according to Wikipedia:
Turkey: 95 RON and 95+ RON widely available in gas stations. 91 RON (Regular) has been dropped in 2006. 98 and 100 RON (Shell V-Power Racing) has been dropped in late 2009. The Gas which has been advertised 97 RON has been dropped in 2014 and renamed 95+.

But i don t find official statement of this. They use the world "octane"everywhere i google, but i still think you have 95RON as whole europe has

if you have really extreme high octane fuel only, then you have no problem with any kit, just keep low boost pulley if keeping stock internals
Old 02-03-2023, 04:05 AM   #5851
Teppka

Not having my own gas testing lab I can only judge from what I read online. And online it reads octane everywhere, no RON. I also asked Subaru Turkey, they also say value is octane. I don’t know how you came to the conclusion that if it reads octane everywhere it must be RON, but I just didn’t find any supporting documents to this. Yes, 97 sale is prohibited to be sold as 97 so it’s sold as 95 with added brands,
it’s full force for Opet, Vpower for Shell.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:15 AM   #5852
tomm.brz

because 95 oct would be an extremely high rating, i mean i dont know how it works in Turkey but i hope for you your 95 oct fuel is not comparable to 95 Ron, because it would be shitty

only way i could help is if you post a datalog of your car and post it here, from afr and timings we can quite easily tell if fuel quality is superb or not

with supercharger, with 95ron you have difficulties reaching 270hp at the crank, with a 95 american oct rating you could reach 320-330hp, the difference is so big