follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
Trashed675

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Lets talk home theater speakers

I'm just now getting into sound(quality over quantity), and need advise, thoughts, and general input.

BACK STORY:
My first year of college I picked up a used Logitch Z5500 off ebay. I think I paid $200 for the system that was only missing one of the factory speaker cables and a cover for one of the speakers. No big deal $20 worth of ebaying later, my used Z5500 was good as new.

Fast forward to about a year ago. DON'T LEAVE NEW(ish) PUPPY UNATTENDED. The little bugger chewed threw the power cable going to the Z's subwoofer. Of course it is not a cable that can simply be replaced. To add to situation, the subwoofer acted like the receiver for the system, all the speakers plugged into it, as well as the controller. Basically once the subwoofer was dead the only thing that was still usable were the speakers.

INVESTMENT TIME:
I needed a new sub and a new receiver, and I figured i'd just keep the satellites for a while since they still sound pretty good to my ears. I picked up an Onkyo TX-NR626 and a Polk PSW505. BAM!!! Good to go. Right!? Right!?!

As is the way with these things, the new onkyo can handle 7.2 and i've only got 5.1 hooked up.....for shame.

Hopped back on ebay and picked up a couple more of the speakers from the Z(just so they all looked the same). Going from 5.1->7.1 made a HUGE difference(maybe I just didn't pay that close attention before). Action scenes are way more enveloping. Being able to really tell when stuff is happening around you is blowing my mind.

So that brings me to the other day. If a little upgrade is good, more must be better right? I ordered a Polk TSX250C for a new center and have plans for a couple of floor speakers as well.

My question to all of you audiophiles, What are your recommendations for good quality, reasonably priced floor/surround speakers? What should I look out for?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:25 AM   #2
jebuwh
Village Idiot

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine Manual
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
http://www.truaudio.com

They make some pretty nice stuff for the money. We put a full set in my dad's house. It's pretty incredible. Pretty sure they are based out of Utah. But yeah, great quality, great speakers, price was solid too if I remember right.
jebuwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:59 AM   #3
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Polk Audio and Klipsch make good, low priced speakers. If you look for refurbished units direct from the manufacturer you can get Polk's for nearly half off normal pricing. For my HT system I'm running Polk RTi series speakers powered by NAD Amps coming from an NAD receiver used as a processor/pre-amp. I don't think 7.x makes a HUGE difference from 5.x but there is a difference. Tron Legacy or Pacific Rim Blu-rays really are nice for showcasing 7.x soundtracks.

One thing that is really good to do is have multiple subwoofers...works much better than a single subwoofer. Always do 2+ subs when you can.... the more the better to smooth out bass and equalize its presence. I'd love to upgrade my subs from the Polks to F12 Rythmik Audio direct servo subs, but am fine with the Polks plus don't have the $$$ for the Rythmik's. Rythmik Audio direct servo subs are definitely bang for the buck for an audiophile grade sub though... if I ever upgrade it will be to the F12's...

One thing that has worked really great for me, and why I'm satisfied with my Polk PRO DSW 500 subs, is a special device known as the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033. It allows placement of the subs into the corners for added output WITHOUT any muddled or boomy bass that would normally result. Works by sampling your room acoustics and correcting frequency ranges. For more information on it here's a link:

Anti-Mode 8033

Though it sounds much better in person (because iPod audio recording sucks, especially in the the low frequency range which is not represented well at all [and that's using an external microphone...] and the overall clarity is lacking along with too high a background/floor noise level), here's somewhat a representation of what my HT system is like (watch in HD and with the best quality headphones you have):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adog2vo_85U&list=UUhGbQuR9-rdVDm4wdNTs_qA"]Epson HC-2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6X0wh1Qs9k&list=UUhGbQuR9-rdVDm4wdNTs_qA"]Oppo BDP-93 Dual display output - YouTube[/ame]
Old 09-06-2014, 04:11 AM   #4
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
+1 on Klipsch. Years ago I had some really nice Cerwin Vega stuff, (albeit a bit more quantity than quality probably), not sure if they're relevant anymore or even in business.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Go big or go home. Get on AVSforum and check out the DIY section. There is a lot of great information there.

Then go to DIY Sound Group and take a look at their fusion waveguide kits. The brains at AVSforum designed their own super-elliptical oblate spheroid waveguide that provides absolutely astonishing clarity and power. If you have a big room, do three Fusion 12's across the front and Fusion 8's everywhere else. Plus, when you build it yourself you can finish it however you want. And it's a fraction of what truly decent home audio speakers like B&W, Definitive, or Paradigm cost.

Now it's time for some boom. A PSW505 will do, as long as you don't mind subdued bass with no presence. If you're looking for extreme low frequency effect (being able to feel an explosion's shock wave in your chest) you need a lot of displacement. Big box sealed 18's, at least two in different areas of the room, are excellent at that. More subs = more authority. The only deviation from that is a sub that is designed to have no real excursion limits, like the RE Audio XXX. Look that bad boy up and tremble in fear. If you want raw power with unrivaled clarity, but aren't too concerned with 18 Hz and below, you need a horn. On the DIY section, look up the lilwrecker, microwrecker, gjallarhorn, or othorn. You'll find instructions, walkthroughs, build pictures, everything. According to www.data-bass.com, who provides impartial testing of a variety of systems, the gjallarhorn holds the outright decibel record from 16-23 Hz. The othorn picks up at 25 Hz and runs away, and a ported RE XXX reigns supreme below 16 Hz.

Now that you've got four 18" subwoofers that weigh more than your car, you need something to drive them. You're looking to shake dust from your house's foundation and have the neighbor's dog hide in the shower from the thunderstorm, so some piss-ant little plate amplifier mounted in the subwoofer box just won't do. Plus, those are often high passed at 20 Hz, which is bullshit. Anyways, home audio amplifiers are EXPENSIVE. And not excessively powerful, at that. Motherfucker, each one of your subs needs a thousand watts just to run properly, much less make some noise. Enter the world of pro audio. Pro audio amplifiers like Behringer, Crown, etc... make phenomenal power for not a lot of money. You want a 6000 watt amp with digital signal processing for $400? You're goddamned right you do. Parts Express has some to choose from; others are available elsewhere.

Now it's time to rein all this in and make sure it actually sounds good together. You need a DSP. MiniDSP provides incredible ability to tailor your system to sound the way you want it to sound in your room. Top end audio with crap balancing will sound like crap; while decent audio with exceptional processing will sound amazing. Throw some sound deadening on the walls to mute reflections and create refractions, all done DIY as well, and your theater will be the envy of everyone. Friends will stop by just to hear the THX intro noise on a movie.

You can build an astonishing home theater for a fraction of the price of a middle-grade store-bought system. All it takes is a little research, a little elbow grease, and a desire to do things better. Welcome to the hobby.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Best sound quality for the buck IMO is the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer line.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...kers/SP-PK52FS

Don't take my word for it. Google it. See how many audiophiles love the stuff.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
Trashed675

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Polk Audio and Klipsch make good, low priced speakers. If you look for refurbished units direct from the manufacturer you can get Polk's for nearly half off normal pricing. For my HT system I'm running Polk RTi series speakers powered by NAD Amps coming from an NAD receiver used as a processor/pre-amp. I don't think 7.x makes a HUGE difference from 5.x but there is a difference. Tron Legacy or Pacific Rim Blu-rays really are nice for showcasing 7.x soundtracks.

One thing that is really good to do is have multiple subwoofers...works much better than a single subwoofer. Always do 2+ subs when you can.... the more the better to smooth out bass and equalize its presence. I'd love to upgrade my subs from the Polks to F12 Rythmik Audio direct servo subs, but am fine with the Polks plus don't have the $$$ for the Rythmik's. Rythmik Audio direct servo subs are definitely bang for the buck for an audiophile grade sub though... if I ever upgrade it will be to the F12's...

One thing that has worked really great for me, and why I'm satisfied with my Polk PRO DSW 500 subs, is a special device known as the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033. It allows placement of the subs into the corners for added output WITHOUT any muddled or boomy bass that would normally result. Works by sampling your room acoustics and correcting frequency ranges. For more information on it here's a link:

Anti-Mode 8033

Though it sounds much better in person (because iPod audio recording sucks, especially in the the low frequency range which is not represented well at all [and that's using an external microphone...] and the overall clarity is lacking along with too high a background/floor noise level), here's somewhat a representation of what my HT system is like (watch in HD and with the best quality headphones you have):

I have already discovered polks ebay store, that's where I got the sub and center. I can't really justify spending more then $200 per channel at the moment, although I certainly will at some point. My plan is to slowly swap out the left over speakers from logitech, depending on whichever I feel is the weakest link.

I attached a sketch of my living room with speaker placement. As you can see the left and right surrounds need new home's at some point. The LS is okay, but I'd like to get it on a stand or something. The RS is kind of SOL at the moment as its sitting directly above the RF. I'm renting so I can't tear up the wood floors to run wire, and there isn't any room directly to the right. Anybody have a solution?
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
Vracer111

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashed675 View Post
I have already discovered polks ebay store, that's where I got the sub and center. I can't really justify spending more then $200 per channel at the moment, although I certainly will at some point. My plan is to slowly swap out the left over speakers from logitech, depending on whichever I feel is the weakest link.

I attached a sketch of my living room with speaker placement. As you can see the left and right surrounds need new home's at some point. The LS is okay, but I'd like to get it on a stand or something. The RS is kind of SOL at the moment as its sitting directly above the RF. I'm renting so I can't tear up the wood floors to run wire, and there isn't any room directly to the right. Anybody have a solution?
Polk Audio Direct on Ebay is the place to get them...

Spend the most money on your mains (and get a full range one that can cleanly go from at least from 60hz to 20+kHz) - they are the most important speakers of a system (with the subwoofers being second most important), the center and surrounds are not as critical/important. Polk Audio Direct has the RTi-A5's for $250 each... You could match them with a CSi3 center channel ($160), FXiA4 Dipole/Bipole switchable surrounds ($285 for the pair) and RTi-A3 for rear ($285 pair) and have an excellent sounding system with plenty of volume.

You definitely need to get the surrounds in a proper location, they are not really adding much to the system where they are located right now. Acoustically it would be better to turn the system 90 degrees in relationship to the room, with the window area being the front...but practically there would be issues with that (display in the sunlight and light source behind the display mainly...). At the very least, if you could get the rear couch off the wall a few feet it would be very helpful and make the rears and mains more effective...put the dog crate behind the couch maybe.

gramicci101 has very good point about DIY for the subs... which is the route I would go with the Rythmik's (get their F12 driver/amp kit and build the cabinets). I much prefer quality and precision of sound over volume of sound though, if your system can do 100-110db you have more than enough "power"... focus on its precision and accuracy.

Last edited by Vracer111; 09-06-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I'm more of a vintage guy.

I'm looking to get some Model 19's next.

And a nice tube amp. Maybe a used Mcintosh

I always aruge to go used when purchasing equipment. You get the best bang for your buck. Even some higher quality JBL's that would retail for 10's of thousands you can pick up for couple thousand.

A lot of modern stuff is great, but to this day...this is the best set up i've ever heard.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You can get kits to build line arrays from parts express. I want to make a unity horn or synergy horn.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
I'm more of a vintage guy.
I still have a pair of JBL L90s that need a rebuild kit.

For the OP: one thing to check - high end speaker systems use 8 Ohm impedance speakers while low end (walmart/target) use cheap 4 Ohm speakers.

Dont mix & match them or you can blow speakers/amps.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #12
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
I still have a pair of JBL L90s that need a rebuild kit.

For the OP: one thing to check - high end speaker systems use 8 Ohm impedance speakers while low end (walmart/target) use cheap 4 Ohm speakers.

Dont mix & match them or you can blow speakers/amps.
Ooo fancy. I have a friend who has the JBL L100's, they sound amazing. Also the most funky looking.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
Vracer111

Garage
Also if you want to clean up your bass and give it a little extra smoothness/response try making risers for your subs to get them off the floor. And do you have a large rug or some other type of abatement to help some with room acoustics on a hard surface floor (ringing/slap/echo)? That will help improve clarity as well...
Trashed675 (09-06-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #14
Trashed675

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Polk Audio Direct on Ebay is the place to get them...

Spend the most money on your mains (and get a full range one that can cleanly go from at least from 60hz to 20+kHz) - they are the most important speakers of a system (with the subwoofers being second most important), the center and surrounds are not as critical/important. Polk Audio Direct has the RTi-A5's for $250 each... You could match them with a CSi3 center channel ($160), FXiA4 Dipole/Bipole switchable surrounds ($285 for the pair) and RTi-A3 for rear ($285 pair) and have an excellent sounding system with plenty of volume.

You definitely need to get the surrounds in a proper location, they are not really adding much to the system where they are located right now. Acoustically it would be better to turn the system 90 degrees in relationship to the room, with the window area being the front...but practically there would be issues with that (display in the sunlight and light source behind the display mainly...). At the very least, if you could get the rear couch off the wall a few feet it would be very helpful and make the rears and mains more effective...put the dog crate behind the couch maybe.

gramicci101 has very good point about DIY for the subs... which is the route I would go with the Rythmik's (get their F12 driver/amp kit and build the cabinets). I much prefer quality and precision of sound over volume of sound though, if your system can do 100-110db you have more than enough "power"... focus on its precision and accuracy.
The FXiA4's are on my wishlist as are TSi400's. The RTi line seems a touch too expensive for comfort right now.

The only other practical way to re arrange the room would be to put the tv in the corner between the windows, but the wife and I don't really care for that as it puts too much glare on the TV, so for the moment we're SOL. The left surround could do well on a stand instead of the window, but the right surround doesn't really have a good place to go unless there is a magical way to make it wireless.

Anybody have any suggestions for stands?