follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > Members Classifieds > Cars for Sale/Trade

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 05:19 AM   #1
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
FS: 2013 FR-S M/T Argento, 34k miles, SF Bay Area 14.5k

I got another MR2 Spyder since I missed driving that and am selling this since it doesn't get much use. I had Shift and Beepi send people to appraise it and they both said it was in good condition and could make an offer, but I'm trying to sell it private party. Located in Palo Alto, CA, asking $14,500.

(sorry, I just realized it's kind of hard to read the sign, but you can make out "9/19/2016" on the paper if you go to the full size image)

Here's the full run down.

Odometer now reads around 346xx but this picture is old:

Modifications:
  • Red felt on A pillars, dash, sun visors
  • LED dome light, reverse lights, trunk light, license plate lights
  • 3M Crystalline 70 on the windshield (professionally installed, lifetime warranty in the glovebox), something really really dark on the rear glass. The windshield tint is very clear and doesn't reduce visibility at night, not cop magnet material at all. It is supposed to reduce the heat coming in by 50% and I believe it, sticking your hand directly into noon sunlight under the windshield feels cooler than indirect sunlight coming through a non-tinted side window. Nice touch for California weather.
  • Custom single-exit axleback made by World Muffler in Sunnyvale using 9" Magnaflow stainless steel straight through muffler, 3.5" stainless steel tip that is brand new, and stock size aluminized steel tubing. It should weigh <15 lbs (the muffler was something like 9 or 10, the pipes and hangers add a little more), a smidge louder than stock under heavy throttle, no drone, and I practically can't hear it at low load.
  • Noise tube delete with black painted PVC pipe plug and hose clamp, I forgot what I used to plug the thing going to the interior but I think it was some rubber cap. The noise tube got accidentally thrown out so I don't have it, and trust me you don't want it because it sounds horrible.
  • Vinyl "bumpers" stuck to the rear seat area and under the passenger seat adjustment latch to eliminate rattling noises from those two sources.

Condition:
About what you would expect for 34k miles, but since it's silver the scratches are pretty hard to see. Rear bumper has scrapes at the bottom from road debris probably, and some cracked paint from some shitty SF driver bumping into it while parking. Front bumper and mirrors have some paint chips.

I had the whole car sprayed with "titanium" plastidip (I was going for a lighter silver that looks exactly like the paint, but the guy didn't have that for some odd reason), so the paint has been practically preserved in the same condition it was a year ago minus the bumper damage. Guys from Beepi and Shift who came and looked at it said it should be only 200 to repair if it bothers you. This ad originally said there's plastidip stuck in the weatherstripping, but I have since picked out most of it (there's a little left that I can do in a few minutes).

A single wheel has a small bit of curb rash, the other 3 are in perfect condition.

Front tires have 3mm tread remaining, rear tires have 5mm. Stock Michelins all around.

I forgot to take a picture of the engine bay, but it looks good, minus a tiny scratch I got on a strut reinforcement bar when hanging a catch can.

Aside from the mods listed, every plastic fender, "diaper", etc., even the plastic wrap on the rear carpets is still on the car, and everything works great.

History: I got it at 28295 miles from a MB dealer in San Jose where they had changed the oil, and showed me a fake service report saying they changed the tires (I believed it without looking at the tire sidewall -_-). It was a Colorado car for the first year of its life, I believe, and its owner moved to California or Nevada or something. I haven't changed the oil because it's synthetic and 6k miles is kind of wasteful.

I changed the differential oil with Motul 300V, and then the transmission fluid with Redline MTL right after I got it. The shifting got much better with the Redline.

I commuted with it for a month which is where 2000 of the miles came from, and then it was just occasional trips around the Bay. Never took it on a track, but did go to an autocross once.

Apart from that mechanically it's as sound as it gets. I am very very easy on the brakes and clutch; I only rev it to a tad over 1000rpm on starts and slow down ahead of time to minimize braking, so I would expect plenty more life, or you can upgrade them.

I never ever step on it when it's cold, and always wait 10 minutes before using higher revs.

Another small point is that because I got used to driving my old Spyder which had totally shot synchros, I always double clutch my down shifts, so the synchros should be in very good shape.

Some more pictures:

Last edited by serialk11r; 02-03-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:27 AM   #2
serialk11r

Garage
Bump, some more pictures. I'm going on vacation this Friday so you may need to wait until mid-October if you want the car.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:03 AM   #3
serialk11r

Garage
Hmmm interesting, not that much interest, I guess I'll have to put it on Craigslist when I come back from vacation It would be nice if this could go to someone here.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
serialk11r

Garage
Bump.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:01 AM   #5
serialk11r

Garage
Price drop, 16k.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:50 AM   #6
serialk11r

Garage
Bump.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:33 AM   #7
serialk11r

Garage
Bump...is my asking price too high or something? I would hate to take the red cloth inserts out to sell it to Beepi, as they are quite a nice touch to the interior. I'm pretty sure you can't get any other stock FR-S with <40k miles at this price?
Old 11-02-2016, 08:01 AM   #8
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Bump...is my asking price too high or something? I would hate to take the red cloth inserts out to sell it to Beepi, as they are quite a nice touch to the interior. I'm pretty sure you can't get any other stock FR-S with <40k miles at this price?

I would say your price is fair, though i havent done any research on what '13s are going for. I have several thoughts about maybe why your car hasnt been snatched up at all, but most would just be noise....with the exception of one.

Most people who frequent this site already have FRS/BRZs. The few that dont likely have had FRS/BRZs (like me) and even if we are looking to get back into one(like me) we are being very specific and use this site to look for cars with mods that have great prices on them. Personally, my main reason for not looking deeper at your car is i have ruled out '13s in my search. I have already owned a '13 and two 15's. And i am still very much in shopping/brainstorming part of my search. So I am not ready just yet.

Anyways, my point is that if you offered this car on Autotrader/Cars.com or the like...i bet it would sell fairly fast. You would definitely have interest. Yep it will cost you a couple hundred bucks, but you gotta put your car in front of buyers. I dont think this forum is the best spot for relatively stock/lightly modded cars. Maybe it is for project cars or heavily modded cars, those things are hard to sell anyway and this forum is where serious enthusiast would likely be. But your car would do better on more traditional websites.

Just my two cents, GLWS, advertise that car...and the right buyer will find you.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #9
Travisty75

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
The red interior pieces you added don't do it for me at all, and the plastidip still being stuck in areas and the bumper with the spider web paint cracks are a big turn off, too.

There are a couple privately listed 13's down here, one at 50k for 15,500 and one at 30k for 15,000, so your price is close but the fact that it has mods that make it very specific to the purchaser are limiting your scope.

If you lowered your price and made it too enticing to pass on, then it'd sell quicker. My thought is if you ask 14,000 that would be a good starting point.

Just my .02 since you asked.

Bump for you, and good luck with your sale!
Old 11-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #10
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
Anyways, my point is that if you offered this car on Autotrader/Cars.com or the like...i bet it would sell fairly fast. You would definitely have interest. Yep it will cost you a couple hundred bucks, but you gotta put your car in front of buyers. I dont think this forum is the best spot for relatively stock/lightly modded cars. Maybe it is for project cars or heavily modded cars, those things are hard to sell anyway and this forum is where serious enthusiast would likely be. But your car would do better on more traditional websites.

Just my two cents, GLWS, advertise that car...and the right buyer will find you.
Hmmm, is Autotrader that much better than CL? I feel like everyone checks CL when they want to buy a car. Then again, the other FR-S on CL aren't selling either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisty75 View Post
The red interior pieces you added don't do it for me at all, and the plastidip still being stuck in areas and the bumper with the spider web paint cracks are a big turn off, too.

There are a couple privately listed 13's down here, one at 50k for 15,500 and one at 30k for 15,000, so your price is close but the fact that it has mods that make it very specific to the purchaser are limiting your scope.

If you lowered your price and made it too enticing to pass on, then it'd sell quicker. My thought is if you ask 14,000 that would be a good starting point.

Just my .02 since you asked.

Bump for you, and good luck with your sale!
I see. Thanks. At 15k, I would just go through the trouble of returning the car to stock and get 15.7k for it from Beepi. Maybe I need to seriously consider that, because they seem to be able to repaint bumpers and get tires for way cheaper than I can, plus their prices are VC investor subsidized lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
brzaapi (11-02-2016), Travisty75 (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Garage
I would have to say yes, and its another avenue to reach buyers. When I am looking for cars, which is more frequent than it should be, i use several sources. The primary source depends on the kind of car i am looking for, but for a 3 or 4 year old car DD car. Yeah, you can't discount online listing places like Autotrader and Cars.com. Craigslist is great cause its free, but i have had better luck on other sites. Where as forums or places like racingjunk.com would not be your best bet cause the buyer group is smaller and more focused.

Your car has mass market appeal, so you got to advertise to the masses, even if it is a niche vehicle. Its not a spec miata or legends car.

Anyways, just my thoughts. But if your not use to selling, it takes patience while you learn your market. Plus, its business, dont take any of it personal.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:47 AM   #12
serialk11r

Garage
Hmmm...bump again? I updated the CL post to 15.9k. You can negotiate but if I drop the price much more I believe it would sell quite fast... I can definitely get 15k for this very quickly, so please bid higher than that at least.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:50 AM   #13
serialk11r

Garage
Price drop to 15,750 negotiable.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:56 AM   #14
serialk11r

Garage
Alright, seems like I need to drop the price more. I paid the registration (DMV hasn't given me the stickers yet), so you're good for 2017, and you can have the car for 15.4k, negotiable. Make an offer over 15 and I'll consider it.

Last edited by serialk11r; 12-28-2016 at 02:06 AM.

Closed Thread