follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #99
Denstoj

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
So oil squirts into the socket of the rocker pivot at rest. This takes up the lash until the lobe comes around to begin lifting. Then the oil film is squeezed down through the center of the pivot and circulates back around the clearance between the pivot pin and its bore.

This seems to be an interesting shock absorption system. I've heard that the FA20 likes to be adjusted to the looser side. I wonder if rocker ejection is a symptom of a tad too much lash.
What you’re describing is a hydraulic lash adjuster, in these engines, they are solid pivots.

There is no oil flowing through the pivot under oil pressure. The rockers are lubricated via a hole in the head that squirts up onto the rocker.

For a further explanation see my video demonstrating the FA engine oiling system:

A slight increase in rocker clearance (lash) will start to create a noticeable tappet noise first. The main cause of rockers dislodging is due to valve float and the lack of retention.
Denstoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 03:19 AM   #100
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denstoj View Post
What you’re describing is a hydraulic lash adjuster, in these engines, they are solid pivots.

There is no oil flowing through the pivot under oil pressure. The rockers are lubricated via a hole in the head that squirts up onto the rocker.
A slight increase in rocker clearance (lash) will start to create a noticeable tappet noise first. The main cause of rockers dislodging is due to valve float and the lack of retention.
No, I'm not. A hydraulic adjuster pumps up to take up the lash and has a check valve to maintain it's adjusted length. I'm just saying that there is a small film fed from underneath the rocker, as you show, and with each lift of the valve, circulates it down through the pivot, which also floats on the oil film as it is pushed through the base. There's more going on there than simple lubrication at the pivot ball, but let's not go down that road. I agree that valve float is the most likely reason for rocker ejection here.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:15 PM   #101
gonzalezea1996

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys, I just joined the forums and was wondering if anyone has some feedback on this product? I realize it's fairly new, but I'm currently in the process of building my FA and was considering purchasing the product.
gonzalezea1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #102
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalezea1996 View Post
Hey guys, I just joined the forums and was wondering if anyone has some feedback on this product? I realize it's fairly new, but I'm currently in the process of building my FA and was considering purchasing the product.
What product is that?
Old 09-08-2021, 04:27 PM   #103
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalezea1996 View Post

I have the kit but have not installed it yet. Waiting on my valve springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #104
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I have the kit but have not installed it yet. Waiting on my valve springs.
I think it's a bot post. Was just looking for a reply.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:49 PM   #105
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
I think it's a bot post. Was just looking for a reply.

I am not the most astute around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ultramaroon (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 04:36 PM   #106
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I am not the most astute around here.
Oh, stahp... We're looking forward to pics & updates! Lemme know if you want an extra pair of meathooks.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #107
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Oh, stahp... We're looking forward to pics & updates! Lemme know if you want an extra pair of meathooks.
lol yeah I will let you know. Hopefully I see my valve springs soon. In stock is not always in stock with most of these venders anymore.
Ultramaroon (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 06:07 PM   #108
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Curious are you getting the beehive or dual spring types? I hear that the new FA24 will get beehive ones, but might be only wrx!
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:11 PM   #109
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
Curious are you getting the beehive or dual spring types? I hear that the new FA24 will get beehive ones, but might be only wrx!
They are neither. Good to claimed 8200rpm. I don't need to go that high but I just wanted a little more piece of mind. I don't think you need the beehive unless you are pushing more lift. The duals for more boost or higher revs.

https://www.power-division.com/fa20-...0-brz-frs.html
Old 09-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #110
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
It bugs me that there is no good explanation of what causes the valve float that leads to our rocker arm ejection. I can understand an over rev but many descriptions of rocker arm ejection begin with the words: " I was just driving along when.....". Mine failed because of ingestion of some of something (probably space debris from a decommissioned Russian satellite). My rebuild included bronze valve guides, Ferrea springs, and valve seat locators. My builder has built a lot of Subbie and Toyota engines and did not use the retainers and says that he has not had issues with his builds. I hope he right.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 11:46 AM   #111
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
It bugs me that there is no good explanation of what causes the valve float that leads to our rocker arm ejection. I can understand an over rev but many descriptions of rocker arm ejection begin with the words: " I was just driving along when.....". Mine failed because of ingestion of some of something (probably space debris from a decommissioned Russian satellite). My rebuild included bronze valve guides, Ferrea springs, and valve seat locators. My builder has built a lot of Subbie and Toyota engines and did not use the retainers and says that he has not had issues with his builds. I hope he right.
I still think it is a geometry issue combined with the valve on the looser side of tolerance. Mine kicked out at about 6k rpm. No valve float. I was actually lifting off when it did it.
blsfrs (09-10-2021), Ultramaroon (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #112
gonzalezea1996

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
I just purchased GSC Beehive springs, valves, and seals. I'm Looking for someone in Virginia with experience to do the work for me, but I don't know where to go. If you don't mind me asking, who was your builder? I have a stage 2 IAG block ready for the heads. The only thing I'm missing is the valvetrain components I mentioned above.

I'm still debating on getting the retainers, so I may wait a little longer to see what's the verdict.
gonzalezea1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gonzalezea1996 For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (09-10-2021)