follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #57
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@regal

It looks like you know what you want. A 2zzge mr-s would put a hurting on a stock frs that's for sure. Again... apples to oranges there. But if you're really inclined to the car and it suits all your needs, go for it.

Sorry to hear about your DI issues. I hope it's not an engineerng flaw but rather a manufacturing error at the factory. Maybe you got the lemon. Who knows.

It's still much to early to tell the fate of our fa20 motors. I personally like the motor. It's not the greatest but it's good enough and gets the job done. I always wished Toyota would've stuck something like a newly developed all aluminum BEAMS into the car. I can see why they went ahead with the boxer for ultimate balance and low CG. A high slung inline 4 would've made the gt86 just another FR car that handles sloppy. But at least the BEAMS was proven and a longitudinal motor in the 86 would be even easier to work on. Hopefully the fa20 will have no unforeseen engineering issues down the road.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #58
daschtick

Drives: Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This thread makes me want to replace the 1zz with a 2zz in my MR2 Spyder!

I test drove the FR-S last September, and as much as I liked the car, I just could not see going from my sub 2200 pound, mid-engined roadster to an FR-S. The lightness and balance of the MR2 is just more satisfying to me. I can understand those that need additional seating or cargo capacity will dismiss the MR2, but if neither of these items poses an issue, this is the most connected car I have driven other than the Lotus Elise.

I also wish that the 2zz would have come from the factory, as it is the best engine for the chassis. Sure, a K-series is arguably a better powerplant, but a friend of mine tackled a supercharged K24 swap into a Lotus Elise, and although it is the most explosive accelerating car I have ever experienced, it has all but lost its OEM reliability. It is now relegated to track days, and the infrequent car show.

It is really cool to see some appreciation for what I consider to be one of the most overlooked sports cars of modern times.
daschtick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daschtick For This Useful Post:
Anaxilus (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #59
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daschtick View Post
This thread makes me want to replace the 1zz with a 2zz in my MR2 Spyder!

I test drove the FR-S last September, and as much as I liked the car, I just could not see going from my sub 2200 pound, mid-engined roadster to an FR-S. The lightness and balance of the MR2 is just more satisfying to me. I can understand those that need additional seating or cargo capacity will dismiss the MR2, but if neither of these items poses an issue, this is the most connected car I have driven other than the Lotus Elise.

I also wish that the 2zz would have come from the factory, as it is the best engine for the chassis. Sure, a K-series is arguably a better powerplant, but a friend of mine tackled a supercharged K24 swap into a Lotus Elise, and although it is the most explosive accelerating car I have ever experienced, it has all but lost its OEM reliability. It is now relegated to track days, and the infrequent car show.

It is really cool to see some appreciation for what I consider to be one of the most overlooked sports cars of modern times.
a supercharged k24 isnt representative of k swaps. if you supercharge a 2zz, oem reliability is lost as well.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #60
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
a supercharged k24 isnt representative of k swaps. if you supercharge a 2zz, oem reliability is lost as well.
Barely if you do it right like the lotus.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #61
daschtick

Drives: Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
It's not just the supercharging that is the issue. It is also things like the conversion BACK to a cable operated throttle, hondata interface, shift linkage adaptation, etc. To me, I prefer OEM designed and qualified versus backyard fabrication. Swaps like that may be fine for some folks, but just not my cup of tea.
daschtick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #62
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Barely if you do it right like the lotus.
im not saying a supercharged k24 cant be oem reliable. im just saying that its not representative of k swaps in general. also, i was unaware that lotus supercharged k24s into anything.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #63
Anaxilus
Banned

Drives: They have four wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
oh and another HUGE thing... it's not a mechanic friendly car to fix! ask me how i know. i've been dabbling with these mid-engine toyotas forever and leaning over that rear c-pillar to get at the engine gets old quick!
What C-pillar? It's a freaking convertible.

Btw, I might be willing to sell my MR-S to the right person for the right price. I'll make an add later in the classified and update this post. It's an '05 black w/ black hardtop, SMT + LSD, stock everything with only 11.5K miles on the chassis, motor/trans. Bronze CE28Ns, Carbing braces, uninstalled whiteline sways and KW v.3 coilovers.

Don't expect a super 'deal' or lowball as I don't mind keeping it and driving it for the next three years or more. No hurry to sell. PM if interested.
Anaxilus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anaxilus For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #64
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post
What C-pillar? It's a freaking convertible.

Btw, I might be willing to sell my MR-S to the right person for the right price. I'll make an add later in the classified and update this post. It's an '05 black w/ black hardtop, SMT + LSD, stock everything with only 11.5K miles on the chassis, motor/trans. Bronze CE28Ns, Carbing braces, uninstalled whiteline sways and KW v.3 coilovers.

Don't expect a super 'deal' or lowball as I don't mind keeping it and driving it for the next three years or more. No hurry to sell. PM if interested.
Lol my bad was thinking about my car. But simply just stating that mid-engine cars are not a walk in the park to fix.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #65
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
im not saying a supercharged k24 cant be oem reliable. im just saying that its not representative of k swaps in general. also, i was unaware that lotus supercharged k24s into anything.
Your reference was to 2zz supercharged hence my previous comment.
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #66
Anaxilus
Banned

Quote:
Stock vs stock. The mr-s gets mopped up by the frs. There is no comparison. The mr-s loses in every comparison against the frs/brz
Dude, you are so full of it, you have no idea what you are talking about. My stock SMT MRS kills the FRS/BRZ in acceleration, braking, handling and every metric except for cargo space and MPG. Your inexperience w/ the MRS is plain to see for anyone here who has driven both. Even once my FRS gets down to 2550-2600lbs and 250hp, it will likely never out drive or outperform my MRS except maybe in a drag race. Maybe....
Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #67
Anaxilus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daschtick View Post
Bingo. QFT. Spoken like someone that has actually driven/owned both. FRS for cargo and convenience, and massive aftermarket support.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #68
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Wooo I love threads about my car.

I think stock FRS has slightly more power/weight than MR-S, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had more grip considering how people on Spyderchat seem to really really like their suspension modifications. It's the most sporty car I've driven so I can't say but over there they say it's soft in stock form.

@hmong337 while what you're saying is somewhat correct I think you're quite biased and incorrect on a few points. The 1ZZ is a Corolla engine...but so is the 2ZZ. The 2ZZ pretty much bolts straight in, that's very different from the swaps you mentioned. Also the K20 is not massively superior to the 2ZZ in any sense. I'm also guessing your car is harder to work on than the ZZW30 because we don't have C pillars and we have a shorter rear end. You might think the Miata looks better, but in my experience, everyone thinks I have a "really nice" Porsche but no one looks twice at a Miata. Some (not all) of the people who call Miatas girly will say the MR-S is a cool car.

The luggage space problem is alleviated if you remove the spare and have an easier way to access the frunk, and it's mostly solved if you get rid of the soft top permanently, as the space behind the seats is actually pretty good and would be even better if it were easily accessible. It's not the prettiest car, but it has a bit of flair and that's why I got it. It's also midengine, and that automatically makes it cooler than any front engine fare.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (08-01-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #69
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Your reference was to 2zz supercharged hence my previous comment.
that makes a lot of sense although if youre doing things like lotus, a supercharged k24 would be at least as reliable. if youre doing things like lotus then you end up with a 45k mrs
Old 07-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #70
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobrz View Post
brz is more practical. as already been pointed out mrs has got lots of room in the engine bay withouta trunk u cant take ur experience w the sw20 and carry it over to the spyder
Quote:
I am? c
Now hmong337 finally understand what I am talking about after realizing mrs doesn't have a c-pillar... i just wish it didn't take so long, lol...
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote