follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Smile FR-S lease available in US

I remember about a week ago hearing a lease option was available in Canada.

I live in New England and the #1 volume Toyota/Scion dealership offers a lease on the FR-S.

I apologize in advance if this is old news.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Who is the #1 volume Scion dealer in CT? Do they have a demo car already?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

I don't know in CT. The dealership I went to is Balise Toyota/Scion in West Springfield, MA. About 30min from Hartford. I'm sure a google search will answer your question.

They have an ultramarine AT first 86 model there. The person who bought it came in with his wife and I was told he has to discuss the payment and their budget. I can't believe he ordered one not sure if he can afford

It is possible he will not take the car. They are allowing everyone to sit inside, touch the paint, windows, etc. I sat in it and even the salespeople were leaning on the car and touching the windows and paint. It's def going to need to be cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post
Who is the #1 volume Scion dealer in CT? Do they have a demo car already?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
markitect

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My dealer is offering a residual of $16669 on a manual. That's pretty affordable if you ask me.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
I don't know in CT. The dealership I went to is Balise Toyota/Scion in West Springfield, MA. About 30min from Hartford. I'm sure a google search will answer your question.

They have an ultramarine AT first 86 model there. The person who bought it came in with his wife and I was told he has to discuss the payment and their budget. I can't believe he ordered one not sure if he can afford

It is possible he will not take the car. They are allowing everyone to sit inside, touch the paint, windows, etc. I sat in it and even the salespeople were leaning on the car and touching the windows and paint. It's def going to need to be cleaned.
I meant to ask who's the #1 volume dealer in New England, not in CT.
I am familiar with Balise Scion in MA though. Thanks for replying.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

They're very friendly there. Just don't lower your guard. When I purchase a car I'm not only purchasing it but also the dealership too.

I would be very comfortable doing business with them.

Now, it's a matter of seeing if Bertera Subie in Hartford will give me more for my trade-in. I would certainly prefer a limited BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post
I meant to ask who's the #1 volume dealer in New England, not in CT.
I am familiar with Balise Scion in MA though. Thanks for replying.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
ruskymx

Drives: 13 HotLava FRS, 93 4Runner, 97 Taco
The lease is good on these cars. I'm going to be putting $1000 down on mine and the payment is around $330 including taxes. Almost a 67% residual ($16,698) at 12k per year.

Ruskymx
ruskymx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskymx View Post
The lease is good on these cars. I'm going to be putting $1000 down on mine and the payment is around $330 including taxes. Almost a 67% residual ($16,698) at 12k per year.

Ruskymx

For a 36-mo. lease? If so, that is a good residual! Audi's residuals are pathetic, usually hovering around 50%. Good thing our cars more than make up for the crappy lease deals

I'd consider leasing a BRZ if I could keep the mileage low; it would keep me from modding it until the warranty expires and the lease is up, then I could buy it out and add mods to it. Buuut I drive about 24,000 miles/yr... ugh.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
ruskymx

Drives: 13 HotLava FRS, 93 4Runner, 97 Taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
For a 36-mo. lease? If so, that is a good residual! Audi's residuals are pathetic, usually hovering around 50%. Good thing our cars more than make up for the crappy lease deals

I'd consider leasing a BRZ if I could keep the mileage low; it would keep me from modding it until the warranty expires and the lease is up, then I could buy it out and add mods to it. Buuut I drive about 24,000 miles/yr... ugh.

Yes, that's the 36mo residual. 24mo is $18k, but Toyota only offers 15k miles (or higher) for 2 year leases. I have all the residuals at my desk at work that I can post if people are interested. I can put them up here tomorrow.

Ruskymx
ruskymx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
xravexboix

Drives: 12 Camry Hybrid on 19" RE30
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to xravexboix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
I remember about a week ago hearing a lease option was available in Canada.

I live in New England and the #1 volume Toyota/Scion dealership offers a lease on the FR-S.

I apologize in advance if this is old news.
Longo Scion is the #1 volume Toyota/Scion dealership I'm going to have to fly over there with a crowbar to make sure they have their fine print of "in New England" in order
xravexboix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
yayforaddison

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
You know. I never in my life thought about leasing a car until today. I want this FRS sooooo badly. But I want a GT-R more. I've been thinking all day about it and may have more to think about.

If I just lease the FRS for meh 3-4 years ish, then I could get an R32 shipped to the states with no problems (25+ year old is a MUCH easier process).
yayforaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Can you guys school me on a lease?

Is the residual what you pay at the end of the lease if you want to buy the car out? If not, is that dependent on the dealer, or does Toyota have a buy out price for the car listed?

If I were to bring the car in for warranty work with mods on it, will that cause an issue when it comes time to turn the car in (with the car returned to stock)?

This one is probably a dumb question, but are you charged sales tax when you lease a vehicle, or just when you buy the car out? If it is the latter, is the sales tax assessed on the actual purchase price of the vehicle or what the car cost new?
Old 05-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
xravexboix

Drives: 12 Camry Hybrid on 19" RE30
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to xravexboix
Is the residual what you pay at the end of the lease if you want to buy the car out? If not, is that dependent on the dealer, or does Toyota have a buy out price for the car listed?

-Yes. Residual is on your contract and that is the purchase price of the vehicle once your lease is up. The residual is determined by the financing institution. Usually you want to go with the actual manufacturer's bank (Toyota Financial, in this case) as their residuals are usually higher than those found 'in the wild'. At least termination, you have the option to buy the car out for cash, or finance as well. Credit will be run again and you'll pay taxes on the residual value as well.

If I were to bring the car in for warranty work with mods on it, will that cause an issue when it comes time to turn the car in (with the car returned to stock)?

You need to return the car as you received it. Minor things are typically overlooked (tint and such). However, if you have excessive wear/tear, you may have to pay for repairs to those items. TFS has a guideline on what they consider excessive wear/tear. Talk to the Finance Manager at the dealership for a brochure that outlines what is 'normal' and what is over the top.

This one is probably a dumb question, but are you charged sales tax when you lease a vehicle, or just when you buy the car out? If it is the latter, is the sales tax assessed on the actual purchase price of the vehicle or what the car cost new?

You are charged sales tax ON THE MONTHLY PAYMENT. So that $249/month advertised price you see for a lease from any manufacturer is $249 +tax. You save on tax this way if you think you won't buy the car out. You're only paying tax on the portion of the car you use. You're not paying tax in the residual unless you buy it out. This may vary by state though... this is at least true in California.
xravexboix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xravexboix For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (05-13-2012), Dr.Science (05-14-2012), Style (05-14-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Thanks! Im just crunching numbers to see which direction I should go. Ill need to talk with the finance manager to get hard numbers, but if its going to be about $340/mo with taxes to lease, then ~$16700 to buy out, Ill be paying about $2.5k more in the long run compared to financing it from the beginning.

Tags
afford, finance, lease, options, year