follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Carolina Dyno

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Solid Steering Rack Bushings (Press Fit)

We will be making a variety of solid bushings for our new shop car but we decided to start with the ones most directly connected to the steering feel.

We designed a solid aluminum bushing with much tighter bolt holes, and a true press fit. These can be easily installed by putting them in the freezer for 20 minutes at which point they virtually slide in.

We also took out as much material as possible bringing them from 143 grams stock to 54 grams. It doesn't sound like much but we strive to make every part as light as possible.

Carolina Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carolina Dyno For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Interesting. Please excuse my ignorance; what is the benefit of a lighter bushing in this location? What is the implication on durability for track applications? Am I correct in assuming that there is no downside, since the material is taken out from a non-stress point?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
wu_dot_com (11-26-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Carolina Dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Interesting. Please excuse my ignorance; what is the benefit of a lighter bushing in this location? What is the implication on durability for track applications? Am I correct in assuming that there is no downside, since the material is taken out from a non-stress point?
Well the stock bushing is rubber so the main advantage is the rack isn't moving without driver input. Any movement in the rubber bushings is effectively unwanted steering input.

As far as the bushing being lighter, there is no particular advantage in that location vs anywhere else on the car it's just reducing overall weight. A few grams isn't much but notice its almost 1/3rd the original weight. It might seem like such a small weight savings that it's irrelevant but if you pay attention to the weight of every detail you possibly can you can shave hundreds of pounds 1 ounce at a time.

For track durability this would be a one time purchase, you are never going to wear out a pressed in solid bushing.
CSG Mike (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How many racks have you measured to get your baseline for the inside diameter? What have you found the factory tolerance to be?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Carolina Dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
How many racks have you measured to get your baseline for the inside diameter? What have you found the factory tolerance to be?
We've only measured two so far but we do have a couple cars coming in this week for verification. The two I measured were within 1 thou on both holes. I find this to be extremely strange considering the OEM bushing is fairly loose fitting rubber, but the odds of that being a coincidence are virtually nonexistent.

That said if anyone ever has a rack that is way off what we measured we can easily make a set to fit.
Calum (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #6
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
hmm, nice. Any idea on price point?
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
RacerDrews

Drives: 2013 WR blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post

Has anything progressed with this set up yet? Would be interesting to see how much this actually is going to affect the feel of steering play if the stock bushings are as loose and poor tolerance as they claim.
RacerDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
smbstyle

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Nice!

Off topic, but I recognize your shop's name from my days in North Carolina (Went to NC State), and I believe you guys are big on the HorsepowerJunkies forum with some serious builds, including that bad ass F40 build you all did.... I was drooling over the welding work you did.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
wu_dot_com

Drives: accord
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
what is being done to prevent corrosion? especially the dissimilar metal galvanic kind at the interface between bolt to bushing and bushing to rack?

my experience working with aircraft landing gear components made out of alum tells me that your product cannot and will not last for the life of the car as you clam due to operating environment. even with extreme protective measure, unlike rubber, or polyurethane, alum will corrode over time.

once it corrode, what is your plan to remove those bushings w/o making the hole ID oversize? putting it in is easy, removing and replaceing those bushing with basic hand tool is hard.
wu_dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
cmcauley

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt 6MT
I may be incorrect on this, but I thought with aluminum parts the corrosion to aluminum oxide essentially protects the underlying aluminum. So the part itself will be okay, but this may be saying very little about it seizing against other parts that corrode.
cmcauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
wu_dot_com

Drives: accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcauley View Post
I may be incorrect on this, but I thought with aluminum parts the corrosion to aluminum oxide essentially protects the underlying aluminum. So the part itself will be okay, but this may be saying very little about it seizing against other parts that corrode.
not really, the alum corrosion in this case propagate when it comes in contact with another dissimilar metals. so, it would continue to corrode at an increase rate even with standard anodizing protection. also aluminum oxide (anodizing) protects the wear life of the substraight aluminum by being harder, it does not do much against corrosion. also Anodizing is a special processes, its different than your natural corrosion

Last edited by wu_dot_com; 11-26-2013 at 03:32 PM.
wu_dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
Carolina Dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
We're hoping around $40 shipped in the continental US

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerDrew View Post
Has anything progressed with this set up yet? Would be interesting to see how much this actually is going to affect the feel of steering play if the stock bushings are as loose and poor tolerance as they claim.
We have them installed on our shop car however we have a lot of things apart right now while we design a few other parts and work on our turbo setup. Even though this is a very simple part and there shouldn't be any issue with the design we wont sell something without testing it on track first. We're hoping to have it back on the road by mid December.

To be perfectly honest you're not going to see a huge night and day difference from this part alone (though it will help), like everything else chassis/suspension related it's the whole package that makes the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
Nice!

Off topic, but I recognize your shop's name from my days in North Carolina (Went to NC State), and I believe you guys are big on the HorsepowerJunkies forum with some serious builds, including that bad ass F40 build you all did.... I was drooling over the welding work you did.
Thanks! That's us, here's a link to the thread for anyone interested... I know we never get sick of looking at it, definitely the most amazing street car I've had the pleasure of working on.

http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/for...=138096&page=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_dot_com View Post
what is being done to prevent corrosion? especially the dissimilar metal galvanic kind at the interface between bolt to bushing and bushing to rack?

They will be available anodized for an additional fee however it's really unnecessary unless you drive you car in some really harsh conditions.

my experience working with aircraft landing gear components made out of alum tells me that your product cannot and will not last for the life of the car as you clam due to operating environment. even with extreme protective measure, unlike rubber, or polyurethane, alum will corrode over time.

once it corrode, what is your plan to remove those bushings w/o making the hole ID oversize? putting it in is easy, removing and replaceing those bushing with basic hand tool is hard.
Aircraft are subject to VERY different environments, take a look in your engine bay, there are literally hundreds of bare aluminum parts connected by bolts, sleeves, bushings, etc with a variety of materials. This part is no different than those.

As for replacing it, although there is almost no chance of that being necessary in a worst case scenario any decent shop should be able to handle the job easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcauley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_dot_com View Post
not really, the alum corrosion in this case propagate when it comes in contact with another dissimilar metals. so, it would continue to corrode at an increase rate even with standard anodizing protection. also aluminum oxide (anodizing) protects the wear life of the substraight aluminum by being harder, it does not do much against corrosion. also Anodizing is a special processes, its different than your natural corrosion
Anodizing is actually an extremely effective method of corrosion protection, however like you said purposefully anodizing a part is much different than natural oxidation.

Years ago I worked for a historic racing shop that serviced cars from road cars to race cars from the 50's and 60's. I could count on 1 hand the number of times we had issues with pressed in aluminum parts even 40+ years old.

Thanks for the interest, we will be sure to update this thread as soon as our car is back on the road.

Happy Thanksgiving!
wu_dot_com (12-02-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #13
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Drives: 86
Wow impresssive stuff on the F40!!

You looking at doing a kit for the 86?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
Carolina Dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEightSix View Post
Wow impresssive stuff on the F40!!

You looking at doing a kit for the 86?
We just finished up our exhaust manifold flanges, and opened up a box of 321 stainless tubing. We will be creating another thread for that!

Last edited by Carolina Dyno; 12-02-2013 at 11:56 PM.
DriftEightSix (12-03-2013)