follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Karting helmet support/neck collar

So I do a bit of karting, purely recreational, arrive & drive/rental, mostly indoor (no outdoor tracks in my area :-( ). It's a lot of fun and I'd like to keep doing it, but having been bumped into pretty hard by other drivers several times, I started to worry about my neck vertebrae, and decided to get myself some sort of a neck collar or something.

I know that some people here do karting, and I was wondering if you could help me a bit here. I tried to do some online research, but there is not much specific info out there, and available devices differ hugely in both design and price (~$25 to ~$400). I don't want to be stingy, it's about my health, but on the other hand there is no point in paying hundreds for something that makes sense only for high-speed competition karts.

I've been sort of leaning towards one of these three:
http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-raci...support-collar
http://www.saferacer.com/evs-r4-race-collar
http://www.saferacer.com/evs-r4-pro-race-collar

but I have no idea if this is a sensible quality /price range for recreational karting. Even if it is, how to choose between those.

Any suggestions would very welcome.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
From the lack of responses I gather nobody is interested, but I'll report anyway... ultimately I bought the Valhalla 360 Plus Device. Came today, looks decent, I'll start using it next time I go karting. Hopefully it will be a useless purchase.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I bought a cheap donut-style ($20) brace like the Sparco one you listed. Served me well. The Valhalla unit looks like some serious tech. You can never go wrong with extra protection.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
mdm (04-08-2016)