follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2016, 11:27 PM   #15
asnatlas

Drives: 2013 - BRZ - SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric6 View Post
This one is poised to be released early 2015, just another option out there. This air oil separator uses filters specifically designed and built for filtering oil and oil vapor.

This one was a earlier test mule model and has worked flawlessly. This is after 1500 typical DD miles. Not a single hint of oil in the hose going to the intake manifold.
Any update on this ?
asnatlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:56 AM   #16
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric6 View Post
Looks like they are using a air oil/water separator element typically used with air compressors in place of the usual metallic mesh or gates to trap the oil. interesting. Which side is the inlet and which is the outlet?

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #17
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I recently purchased a Crawford AOS on the classifieds without taking into account that the top port of the can is plumbed to that port that is on the factory intake tube just south of the throttle body. Problem is I will not have that option very shortly. Does anyone know if the Crawford AOS is even applicable with a turbo setup? And how would it be routed if so? Thanks in advance.
Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #18
asnatlas

Drives: 2013 - BRZ - SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am looking at getting the Radium - Dual Catch Can
asnatlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #19
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnatlas View Post
Any update on this ?
After about 2 years of development, we're finally going to bring it to market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Looks like they are using a air oil/water separator element typically used with air compressors in place of the usual metallic mesh or gates to trap the oil. interesting. Which side is the inlet and which is the outlet?
That is correct, they are desiccant filters technically. They filter particles out of the air stream down to 5 micron and are now on the inlet/outlet of each side of the AOS.

We won't be making many for the first round, we need to gauge reaction and see what people's comments/concerns are about the kit but it is finally coming to market. Probably 2 months out yet .
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (05-19-2016), solidONE (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 12:27 AM   #20
solidONE

Man.. I'd love to work with/for Velox simply based on the grade-A products I see you guys put out. Keep up the good work!

Old 05-18-2016, 04:22 AM   #21
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I highly recommend Radium. Very high quality
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianhj For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (06-07-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #22
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Boy these things are overpriced. It's only an air/oil separator, a basic part. The key engineering aspect of the part is to slow down the incoming air stream and let the oil fall out of suspension into the can while the air keeps moving and heads to your intake. Media of some sort could assist in the separation. $200 price tags on these is a bit over the top. I'm all for capitalism, but these could be crafted from a sturdy solo cup and lid and a few fittings if needed.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #23
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
Boy these things are overpriced. It's only an air/oil separator, a basic part. The key engineering aspect of the part is to slow down the incoming air stream and let the oil fall out of suspension into the can while the air keeps moving and heads to your intake. Media of some sort could assist in the separation. $200 price tags on these is a bit over the top. I'm all for capitalism, but these could be crafted from a sturdy solo cup and lid and a few fittings if needed.
Considering people pay $100 for an injection molded sharkfin antenna that's basically a sturdy solo cup, $200 for a CNC machined/anodized assembly + mount and fittings isn't much of a stretch IMHO.

I do agree, it's a very basic part, but it depends on whether you want something that's made of metal, or just an injection molded piece of plastic (which also won't be cheap as they have to recoup the cost of the mold).

i myself cringe at paying some prices, but i have a decent idea of what it takes to get a part made vs. selling something. if you have the fabrication skills and access to equipment, then that's going to be the cheapest route. paying for shop time with your own design might be next. now, if you want to get into selling your part, then you'll have to mark up your cost to wholesale/retail to cover all your overhead etc. it adds up quick.

i installed the radium this past week: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...48#post2677248

while i wish it'd have cost substantially less, i can see how it can command at $200+ price tag once everything is factored in, and for the company to make a normal profit in it. it's a very basic part, but it's a darn well-made basic part.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
15limited (06-22-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 11:44 PM   #24
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
I suppose you can make an effective catch can out of an old soda can, hoses and some RTV if you really wanted. The money goes to the design, materials and construction of these more "expensive" pieces.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:36 AM   #25
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
to be honest, mishimoto has a really awesome catch can. I believe they have two threads on this forum talking about it. I'm supercharged with tons of track experience and I can definitely say it gets the job done. if you google mishimoto catchcan ft86club on google you'll find the threads i'm talking about. they even have data to prove a dual catch can isn't so necessary.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #26
SoCalArgento

Drives: 2014 Argento FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
to be honest, mishimoto has a really awesome catch can. I believe they have two threads on this forum talking about it. I'm supercharged with tons of track experience and I can definitely say it gets the job done. if you google mishimoto catchcan ft86club on google you'll find the threads i'm talking about. they even have data to prove a dual catch can isn't so necessary.

I thought their research validating the necessity for just a single catch can was done on an NA vehicle? I may be mistaken though

I have the Dual Radium Catch Cans and have no complaints so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoCalArgento is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoCalArgento For This Useful Post:
Zzzquil (10-13-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #27
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have stupid question so bare with me, please.

I am considering the Radium set up, and was confused as to the difference between the PVC and the Crankcase versions. I have a supercharger, but don't track my car. Just occasional spirited drives. What's the difference between the two and which would be better to have?

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #28
SoCalArgento

Drives: 2014 Argento FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I have stupid question so bare with me, please.

I am considering the Radium set up, and was confused as to the difference between the PVC and the Crankcase versions. I have a supercharger, but don't track my car. Just occasional spirited drives. What's the difference between the two and which would be better to have?

Their website has a brief description of how each works, however as to which is best for spirited street driving I'm not sure.

http://www.radiumauto.com/Catch-Can-...RZ86-P374.aspx

I ended getting both since I'm S/C and track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoCalArgento is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoCalArgento For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (06-19-2016)