follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2016, 02:35 AM   #1
Lord09

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
2014+ Entune FR-S Radio Swap to BRZ

I tried searching, but I didn't find any concrete info about a FR-S 2014+ radio (non-navi) swap into a BRZ shockingly.

I don't use the BRZ navi features, since it's slow and pretty much sucks, but my mine gripe is the lack of physical seek buttons, which the FR-S radio has.

I've purchased a used unit and it arrives in a few days. For those that are familiar, is this a direct swap? I'm worried the amp and/or power antenna wires are slightly different on the harnesses, since that's what searches seem to indicate.

So if anyone has any additional info and knows what wires if any need to be re-pinned or spliced, etc, I'd be very appreciative.

Also, when removing the BRZ radio, I plan to remove the GPS antenna as well, anything else that's no longer used and necessary?
Lord09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd be more than willing to swap my 2016 Series Hyperblue Head unit with yours. It has physical buttons. Just a thought.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord09 View Post
I tried searching, but I didn't find any concrete info about a FR-S 2014+ radio (non-navi) swap into a BRZ shockingly.

I don't use the BRZ navi features, since it's slow and pretty much sucks, but my mine gripe is the lack of physical seek buttons, which the FR-S radio has.

I've purchased a used unit and it arrives in a few days. For those that are familiar, is this a direct swap? I'm worried the amp and/or power antenna wires are slightly different on the harnesses, since that's what searches seem to indicate.

So if anyone has any additional info and knows what wires if any need to be re-pinned or spliced, etc, I'd be very appreciative.

Also, when removing the BRZ radio, I plan to remove the GPS antenna as well, anything else that's no longer used and necessary?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
I'd be more than willing to swap my 2016 Series Hyperblue Head unit with yours. It has physical buttons. Just a thought.

I think Jordans idea is best, it's not going to be a straight swap @SVXdc is an expert on the sound system stuff, but he hasn't been online in a month so its hard to page him here. The way the BR-Z calls to power the amp on is different than the FR-S. I have the entune unit in my car and it is quite good, but it's best to either upgrade to the latest subaru unit for less of a headache.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
Lord09

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just finished swapping over the radio and this is very simple. I like the Scion radio much more.

For those who may try this in the future, the BRZ and FRS both turn on the amp via pin 9, but the BRZ also requires power to the power antenna via pin 8. The FRS radio only sends power to pin 9, so you must send power to pin 8 by either splicing the main harness or you can purchase a reverse harness and splice the wire leading to pin 8 to the wire to pin 9.

I imagine in almost all normal situations you'd want the amp and power antenna on at all times, so if you decide to swap back to the stock radio, everything should continue to work.
Lord09 is offline   Reply With Quote