follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #15
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Mine didn't come with RTB sealant. Just the O-Ring. TBH, I have no idea if the ring is like-quality of Raceseng's.
yours wouldn't come with RTV sealant... but it's definitely a required component of this install procedure.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
JB86'd (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #16
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
yours wouldn't come with RTV sealant... but it's definitely a required component of this install procedure.

Why? I thought the whole point of those plates was to not need RTV. The o ring should be fine on it's own as long as the sealing surface is sufficiently clean.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
twag4 (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #17
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Why? I thought the whole point of those plates was to not need RTV. The o ring should be fine on it's own as long as the sealing surface is sufficiently clean.
nope.... you need RTV.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #18
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
A Nameless fanboy got all pissy when I posted the same thing. I had one and that thing leaked a lot worse than the stock. It says on their website no RTV is required, "Eliminating the use of RTV in this area". As I inspected the part more it looks like its inner diameter is too small to actually truly do anything. I remember as I tightened it up I didn't feel that the o-ring was really being pressed into anything. The only reason I tried it is the claim it did not require any RTV. Even with RTV at the same spots as the Raceseng part it still immediately leaked.

So I threw it out got the Raceseng part and and everything has been great since. You'll really notice the difference once you get the Raceseng part. The Racenseng part just requires two small spots of RTV. The reason the RTV is required is there are basically two parts RTV-ed and bolted together and then the cam plate is bolted to them. The surface between those two parts can leak a bit after the removal of the plate since the RTV between those parts might and likely will be disturbed after removal of the plate.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 00NissanNinja For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (03-16-2015), Koa (03-17-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #19
eric6

Drives: 93 MR2 Turbo; 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Viton isn't needed in this area, or at least I don't see why it would. I've been using a Buna-N o-ring for 1500 miles and 5 months on our Cam plate prototype, no issues. Buna-N is specifically designed to be used with oils.

No cam plate should need RTV in my opinion, what would be the point of the cam plate then?
eric6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eric6 For This Useful Post:
Turdinator (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #20
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric6 View Post
Viton isn't needed in this area, or at least I don't see why it would. I've been using a Buna-N o-ring for 1500 miles and 5 months on our Cam plate prototype, no issues. Buna-N is specifically designed to be used with oils.

No cam plate should need RTV in my opinion, what would be the point of the cam plate then?
Agreed about the rtv. As long as the o ring material is compatible with synthetic oil it really shouldn't matter what brand it is. I'm just used to working with viton.

BTW if you're looking for another tester I volunteer as tribute.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #21
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Guys I said viton or like quality/composition o ring.. Doesn't HAVE to be viton. Shoot, that is the grandfather of specialty rubber seal material developed in the 50s if I'm not mistaken.. There's tons of good options

On a tangential note.. What's up with nameless being beautiful stuff but somewhat spotty QC? Their FP/OP combo.. This plate...
Old 03-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #22
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Post a picture of your O ring. I could likely tell you if its a viton by the color/condition. Viton is what I hope these kits come with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric6 View Post

As eric6 said, viton would not be needed in that application. Also you can't identify viton visually. It is usually a browny - red colour but it isn't always. There is no standards for colours and materials when it comes to orings so manufacturers can and will make them to any colour they wish.

I have been selling orings for over 10 years now and there are a lot of misconceptions about viton being the wonder material for all situations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Koa (03-17-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #23
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
As eric6 said, viton would not be needed in that application. Also you can't identify viton visually. It is usually a browny - red colour but it isn't always. There is no standards for colours and materials when it comes to orings so manufacturers can and will make them to any colour they wish.

I have been selling orings for over 10 years now and there are a lot of misconceptions about viton being the wonder material for all situations.
Quote:
Agreed about the rtv. As long as the o ring material is compatible with synthetic oil it really shouldn't matter what brand it is. I'm just used to working with viton.

BTW if you're looking for another tester I volunteer as tribute.
Yup, got it.

I was also hoping to see the o ring to see if it's dissolving due to incompatibility with the oil.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Koa (03-17-2015), Turdinator (03-16-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #24
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post

I agree mate, viton has transitioned over to be a marking stone of seal tech advancement.. it's a 50's discovery, fluorocarbon elastomers.. you know more than most by dealing with the stuff professionally

hell, we could throw on some dupont magic like kalrez, or go to 3M for some fluorel or kel-f but raceseng chose a good supplier of automotive grade seals and that's the important thing here.. like another said above, one can only determine if the seal isn't appropriate for our oil if the o-ring starts to disintegrate or rub off in our hands

edit: damnit read @Calum 's comment right after I posted, redundant bit at the end there ^.. really gotta learn to read new comments before replying ha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-17-2015), Turdinator (03-17-2015)
Old 06-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #25
Cueman

Drives: In Perfect Control At All Times
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Want to add that I'm having zero luck with my nameless plate as well. Leaked with no rtv and I have since r&r'ed twice with RTV but it is still leaking. Going back to stock.