follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2022, 07:03 AM   #1
oBradyG

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spacer size?

I’m going wide body soon, and I know this is probrably basic math and all but I don’t understand lol.. so this is the perfect setup for me for daily driving, and he’s running 18 x 10.5 +22 all around but I’m sure he’s running spacer, but does anyone know how big of spacers I need to acquire this fitment?

https://ibb.co/gtPvH54
oBradyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:58 AM   #2
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
You're right about it being basic math:
Picture the flat face of your hub where the wheel mounts. Now picture the 'barrel' of your wheel (inside lip to outside lip). If the barrel is centered on the flat plane of your hub then you have 0 offset.
Now move the barrel inward, towards the center of the car. Now you have a positive offset. The distance of the offset is measured in millimeters. In your example of 18X10.5X +22 the center of the wheels is 22mm inward from the flat plane of the hub.

Spacers move the wheel outward, so you subtract the thickness of the spacer from the wheel offset to get your new effective offset.

To figure out what wheel width and offset you need you have to measure the distance from the hub out to the fender lip (perpendicular to the hub face, don't just touch a tape measure to the hub and measure up to the fender). Get that measurement in millimeters. Now you can assume a wheel width; divide that by 2 and convert to millimeters. Subtract your measurement from the 1/2 wheel width and you have your 'target' offset (depending on how you measured and how close you want your wheel to be to the fender of course).

You probably won't find wheels with exactly the offset you want so you'll need to buy ones with a slightly higher offset and then add spacers to decrease it.

The same principles apply for determining how much clearance you need to components inboard of the fender.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:48 AM   #3
oBradyG

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
You're right about it being basic math:
Picture the flat face of your hub where the wheel mounts. Now picture the 'barrel' of your wheel (inside lip to outside lip). If the barrel is centered on the flat plane of your hub then you have 0 offset.
Now move the barrel inward, towards the center of the car. Now you have a positive offset. The distance of the offset is measured in millimeters. In your example of 18X10.5X +22 the center of the wheels is 22mm inward from the flat plane of the hub.

Spacers move the wheel outward, so you subtract the thickness of the spacer from the wheel offset to get your new effective offset.

To figure out what wheel width and offset you need you have to measure the distance from the hub out to the fender lip (perpendicular to the hub face, don't just touch a tape measure to the hub and measure up to the fender). Get that measurement in millimeters. Now you can assume a wheel width; divide that by 2 and convert to millimeters. Subtract your measurement from the 1/2 wheel width and you have your 'target' offset (depending on how you measured and how close you want your wheel to be to the fender of course).

You probably won't find wheels with exactly the offset you want so you'll need to buy ones with a slightly higher offset and then add spacers to decrease it.

The same principles apply for determining how much clearance you need to components inboard of the fender.
Gotcha! Thanks! These were the wheels I am planning on getting https://ibb.co/kDXPgf8

They have the +22 offset and in this picture he has them on, https://ibb.co/F3RjDNS (same wheel and tire setup that I’m getting)

But he doesn’t specify the spacers he uses to get that fitment..that’s why I was wondering if u can find out the spacer size before I buy them because this is the perfect fitment for me to daily drive, thanks!
oBradyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:02 AM   #4
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
I gave you the knowledge, you need to do the further research and calculations yourself. First thing would be finding out how much the fenders and proper installation will cost.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrowsFeast For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (03-24-2022)