follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2023, 06:07 AM   #1
54fighting

Drives: 2020 toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dyno Tune Stock

Is it worth getting a dyno tune on a stock engine, no header?
54fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:03 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
It really depends on what you're after. I played around with my car a lot, and I can confidently say that if you're not chasing fractions of a second on a track or at the drag strip, I would leave the car exactly how it is if you're not adding forced induction.

This is just my biased opinion, but I'll never tune an NA car again, it feels like such a waste unless you're after a very specific goal. After my car blew up a couple times times from my Toyota recall hell, I drove the car with stock tune, stock headers, stock exhaust, and it felt every bit as quick and exciting as when I was balls to the wall "tuned" and I could drive it without needing to monitor my AF/r, IAM, knock count, etc. I vote to throw a catback on it, enjoy the neat sound and wait for a concise need before spending any amount of money on engine performance.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
54fighting (08-13-2023), new2subaru (08-14-2023), Teseo (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 12:43 PM   #3
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
While I have no personal experience with doing such, I doubt there is much to be had unless hardware changes are made (Intake or exhaust that can actually flow more air, and that still may be hobbled by the rest of the intake system or even valve sizes). Like @DarkPira7e has said, you are just looking at adding headache for likely no noticeable gain..

Now if you want to change headers and exhaust to chase something specific like leveling out the 1st gen torque dip, there seems to be ample example out there that it can be of some benefit, but is it enough to outweigh the cost?

That is something only you can decide, and it doesn't sound like you are looking to make hardware changes, so..

But check out this video by EveryDay Driver. The first part of this video deals with dyno testing these small changes, and later talks about driving impressions after making them..

'22 CX-5 Turbo
'?? 86 one day soon?
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 04:16 PM   #4
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
no, do a remote tuning instead
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 06:18 AM   #5
54fighting

Drives: 2020 toyota 86
Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
It really depends on what you're after. I played around with my car a lot, and I can confidently say that if you're not chasing fractions of a second on a track or at the drag strip, I would leave the car exactly how it is if you're not adding forced induction.

This is just my biased opinion, but I'll never tune an NA car again, it feels like such a waste unless you're after a very specific goal. After my car blew up a couple times times from my Toyota recall hell, I drove the car with stock tune, stock headers, stock exhaust, and it felt every bit as quick and exciting as when I was balls to the wall "tuned" and I could drive it without needing to monitor my AF/r, IAM, knock count, etc. I vote to throw a catback on it, enjoy the neat sound and wait for a concise need before spending any amount of money on engine performance.
Thanks!!
54fighting is offline   Reply With Quote