follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #1485
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Two years this past Friday. I celebrated by ripping the rear seat and belts out.

Aside from the massive engine issues, I love this car.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Dadhawk (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #1486
Brett
First 86

Drives: Whiteout MT FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
Two years this past Friday. I celebrated by ripping the rear seat and belts out.

Aside from the massive engine issues, I love this car.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
I have a clutch cover that won't stop rattling, despite having replaced the entire transmission and clutch assembly. They can't seem to figure it out.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #1487
terrypm
First86 & burning gas!!

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Two years for me. Only a couple of problems. A intermittent rattle in the headliner above my head and a deformed drivers side window gasket.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #1488
texas2888

Drives: 2007 Tundra, 2013 FR-S, 2009 C50T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to texas2888
Well, the Scion FR-S affair has come to an end for me. I traded mine in on September 1. Now the happy owner of a 2014 370Z. That is all.

texas2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #1489
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas2888 View Post
Well, the Scion FR-S affair has come to an end for me. I traded mine in on September 1. Now the happy owner of a 2014 370Z. That is all.
Congrats on the new ride!

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #1490
civicdrivr

Quote:

http://michaelmarek.net/370z/z_1.jpg
Congrats on the Z! What was the reason for moving on?
Frishkorn (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #1491
texas2888

Let's see...where should I start?

Power was a big issue for me. I had quite a few mods done to the car; supercharged, full exhaust, tuned, etc. It didn't really do that much to help it. I mean, I could tell that it improved, but still, not the big boost I was hoping for. I don't even want to get into what happened with the first tuner. Long story short; had to replace the short block! The guys that got it next just couldn't figure out what they called "missing HP" at high RPMs. They had narrowed it down to the automatic transmission. Cars with the same setup but with a manual transmission didn't seem to have that problem.

The car just seemed like an albatross. There was something always happening to me with that car. Got hailed on on my birthday. Hit a pipe that the car in front of me didn't even TRY to avoid that knocked out the rear mud guard. Windshield busted by a rock. front nose piece was got cracked by the place installing the intake and had to be repaired and repainted. Chirp never went away. Etc, etc... And this wasn't even my daily driver. I don't know. Just seemed like I had some bad luck with the car from the very beginning. SO, I just took a big hit and traded it in. The 370Z is much more refined, and at my age, it seemed a better fit.

With all that said, I have all the "First 86" paraphernalia we were given if anyone might be interested. I had the signed print that we got professionally framed and it looks awesome. I honestly hat to part with that because it looks so nice! If you have an Asphalt FR-S, it might be something you'd be interested in. I also have a bunch of professionally taken photos of the car on huge canvas sized prints, if anyone might be interested.

Check out the stuff here: http://michaelmarek.net/frs.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to texas2888 For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #1492
civicdrivr

I completely understand your move. I've endured a blown engine (thanks Visconti!) and various tiny issues that never seem to go away.

I've been debating selling the car for a few months now. I want to keep it and swap the motor to something more powerful and reliable, but the other side of me says sell it and move onto another platform. I just can't pull the trigger in either direction.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #1493
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Still rocking my first 86. My 2 year birthday was may8th 19k miles plenty of track time and only now decided to start power mods.
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #1494
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Let's see...where should I start?

Power was a big issue for me. I had quite a few mods done to the car; supercharged, full exhaust, tuned, etc. It didn't really do that much to help it. I mean, I could tell that it improved, but still, not the big boost I was hoping for. I don't even want to get into what happened with the first tuner. Long story short; had to replace the short block! The guys that got it next just couldn't figure out what they called "missing HP" at high RPMs. They had narrowed it down to the automatic transmission. Cars with the same setup but with a manual transmission didn't seem to have that problem.

The car just seemed like an albatross. There was something always happening to me with that car. Got hailed on on my birthday. Hit a pipe that the car in front of me didn't even TRY to avoid that knocked out the rear mud guard. Windshield busted by a rock. front nose piece was got cracked by the place installing the intake and had to be repaired and repainted. Chirp never went away. Etc, etc... And this wasn't even my daily driver. I don't know. Just seemed like I had some bad luck with the car from the very beginning. SO, I just took a big hit and traded it in. The 370Z is much more refined, and at my age, it seemed a better fit.

With all that said, I have all the "First 86" paraphernalia we were given if anyone might be interested. I had the signed print that we got professionally framed and it looks awesome. I honestly hat to part with that because it looks so nice! If you have an Asphalt FR-S, it might be something you'd be interested in. I also have a bunch of professionally taken photos of the car on huge canvas sized prints, if anyone might be interested.

Check out the stuff here: http://michaelmarek.net/frs.htm
Congrats BUT... The 370Z is a nice choice but even at the higher price I don't believe they come with a force field that will prevent the same things from happening to it. A bad tune can happen no matter what and you sort of said yourself that some of the perceived power issues are related to the auto.

I do ask a favour though! Please, PLEASE do not keep coming on here and saying "my 370Z this and 370Z that" or slam the twins in general just because you had a bad time (I know explaining your problems was not a "slam"). It just gets annoying and hurts the general public's impression of the cars.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #1495
texas2888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Congrats BUT... The 370Z is a nice choice but even at the higher price I don't believe they come with a force field that will prevent the same things from happening to it. A bad tune can happen no matter what and you sort of said yourself that some of the perceived power issues are related to the auto.

I do ask a favour though! Please, PLEASE do not keep coming on here and saying "my 370Z this and 370Z that" or slam the twins in general just because you had a bad time (I know explaining your problems was not a "slam"). It just gets annoying and hurts the general public's impression of the cars.
I don't think I slammed the car in any way. I was asked by a member why the change and I gave the honest truth as to MY experience. I'm a "car" person and I'm sure the 370Z won't be my last purchase. What I've learned from all of this is to just keep it simple and get a car that you don't have to do much to. I will NEVER have a car tuned again. This, I know! I didn't mention that I hadn't had the car from January 19 through August 12 this year while it was being put back together. I also din't mention the first tuner that ruined it as I wouldn't want to hurt someone's livelihood. I just chalked it up as a BAD learning experience for me.

My experience with the "First 86" program was great and something I'll never forget and will always appreciate. There's not enough of that sort of treatment for us consumers that like to spend our hard earned money. I just had a bad taste in my mouth after all the trouble that I endured dealing with the car...and I realize it wasn't the car's fault. I'll also always appreciate the FR-S when I see one on the street. It's a great looking, fun to drive car. That, there is no doubt!
The Following User Says Thank You to texas2888 For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #1496
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't think I slammed the car in any way. I was asked by a member why the change and I gave the honest truth as to MY experience. I'm a "car" person and I'm sure the 370Z won't be my last purchase. What I've learned from all of this is to just keep it simple and get a car that you don't have to do much to. I will NEVER have a car tuned again. This, I know! I didn't mention that I hadn't had the car from January 19 through August 12 this year while it was being put back together. I also din't mention the first tuner that ruined it as I wouldn't want to hurt someone's livelihood. I just chalked it up as a BAD learning experience for me.

My experience with the "First 86" program was great and something I'll never forget and will always appreciate. There's not enough of that sort of treatment for us consumers that like to spend our hard earned money. I just had a bad taste in my mouth after all the trouble that I endured dealing with the car...and I realize it wasn't the car's fault. I'll also always appreciate the FR-S when I see one on the street. It's a great looking, fun to drive car. That, there is no doubt!
All is cool dude, not accusing you and I didn't think you did slam the car (YET). I even said as much in my post.
Just know how some ex Twin owners can be on here after they change cars. Some be, all like, "my xxx is better at everything" and "the FRS sucked totally". I think they are trying to impress everybody with their "upgrade". This is an FRS/BRZ forum after all so although we may like to hear an honest well intentioned comparison between cars we also may not share the enthusiasm that you have that you got something new.
I am sure I also will change some day and would LOVE to have a 370Z (or a Jag F type) down the road but when that happens I will just quietly slip away and join a new forum (much to several people's relief I am sure).
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #1497
ke4640

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF707 View Post
If I wasn't on the west coast here in Seattle, I would love to attend if I was a local :P Please take pics and post em here

Come out, being your friend. He might get picked on a bit though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ke4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #1498
johnnyfast11

Drives: none yet
yeah. any car with a bad tune will ruin the car. sorry to hear your story man. I hoped it never happened to you. but enjoy your 370z. now gut it and work on that power to weight ratio haha
johnnyfast11 is offline   Reply With Quote