follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #43
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
ugh, so many threads making me rethink going FI vs waiting few years for a stock high HP car like a corvette :'(
'sinking' about it myself, new lighter Z, nee lighter mustang, new lighter miata, hell even wrx/sti
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #44
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobrz View Post
disclaimer: retarded reply about to follow...

everytime I read about MT grinding issues, I'm very glad I got the AT... plus it upshifts and downshifts faster than I can if I cared at all about the synchros...
Gotta love autoblip downshifts. The only downside to the AT is that it sucks at take-off.

OP, don't lawyer up unless they refuse to give you your car back unless you sign that form saying you admit to abuse. NEVER admit to abuse as it'll screw your chances in court for a lemon law case or anything else. Document everything, even if you have to start recording conversations with the dealership and SOA. My wife and I got our local dealership (who sold us the 100k 7yr warranty, but never sent in the paperwork to SOA...) to cover warranty work when we took photos, video, and recorded all conversations with them getting them to admit they screwed up and would honor the terms of the warranty on their own dime.

All too often people at dealerships pull shady moves trying to screw over customers. The dealer gets a fraction of the labor rate (like $60hr vs $100) and I doubt they make any profit on the parts for warranty work. SO, you end up with some dealers lying about how the vehicle was treated or laying blame on aftermarket parts which have no causal link to the damage in question. Hold your ground and definitely seek out a different dealership if they don't make this right. If you demonstrate you know the law, start whipping out a recorder to document conversations, and hold your ground, you might find the dealer starts taking a very different tone.

If you have to, escalate your issue up to the owner(s) of the dealership and always contact the Better Business Bureau if things are resolved to your satisfaction. Dealers live and die by their reputation and BBB rating.
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #45
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
I think this sums it up quite well
Yeah but that's an FR-S. Toyota takes care of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
ugh, so many threads making me rethink going FI vs waiting few years for a stock high HP car like a corvette :'(
There have been a lot of guys with durable FI 86s and miles to prove it; there was a "colorful" thread recently over in the FI subforum on the subject. They're generally the guys who do it by the book, though, with a proper tune. I'm still on your side of the river if I keep my car, though. Going to focus on reducing rotational mass and intake/exhaust if anything.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #46
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
By the book? My car was by the book! Tuned at the shop and by the man that designed and sold me my kit. Horsepower has nothing to do with my failure, if it was there would be gear damage. This issue is with the synchro system they employed in this trans. All the others trannys they say this one is based on don't use a similar setup.
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #47
Chee-Hu

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
That's very unfortunate, OP. I'm glad the service advisor who I speak to and take my car to has assured me that they will not deny claims whether or not I have modified parts, or completely stock. In fact, they have already change a couple of transmissions. Then again, he could just be blowing sh*t into my ears. He has a heavily modded Subie though if that helps lol.
Chee-Hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #48
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
@DoomsdayJesus

Sorry to chip in so late, just saw this thread.

My transmission was grinding in 5th gear at normal motorway speeds. Anyway by the time I talked to Toyota about it and they wanted the car in I had a track day lined up so I said I would come after the weekend.

Funny thing is, after taking it to the track the problem fixed itself.

Still using factory fill, but yeah, the transmission is now wonderful. Not saying this would work for you, but in my case giving it a proper thrash seems to have resolved the issue for me.

Good luck getting it sorted.
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #49
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Took my car to the dealer for this and the tech who drove my car granny shifted and said he couldn't replicate it under "normal driving" and that the car isn't meant to be speed shifted despite being a sports car.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #50
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
Took my car to the dealer for this and the tech who drove my car granny shifted and said he couldn't replicate it under "normal driving" and that the car isn't meant to be speed shifted despite being a sports car.
WTF is speed shifting? If you're using the clutch, it's a shift. End of conversation.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #51
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
Or didn't drive like a yaris. Lol

Don't get me started, I bought a new Yaris while waiting on the FRS. Stock suspension is crap. Tossed on TRD struts/springs and the Yaris can take a beating. The engine is absolutely bullet proof. Few guys thrashing these things for 400k miles changing nothing but brakes and fluids, check out youtube, you literally can't break them.

My original intent was to trade it in when the FRS came out but I decided its a keeper.

My FRS has been at the dealer the last two weeks for 4th gear grinding , while the Yaris has been tearing up the foothills, it has never been to the dealer for nothing, 50k miles.

If my FRS was as well built as my Yaris it would be a damn near perfect car.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #52
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Hang in there doomsday! That's total BS all the way.. It seems they are going out of their way to screw you on this. It's obvious that this new/revised tranny has some build/quality issues. It's easy for the dealer to see some metal shavings and label it "abuse" and move on. But there are several related issues being reported that should be easy for subaru to check on. You would think that they would be sympathetic and apologetic instead of instantly blaming the owner.
I had the OEM void my warranty once before due to mods. It's not a pleasant thing to go thru. In my case they did the same thing.. Fixed the failed part and then voided my warranty. Acting like they did me a favor by fixing it..
I ended up selling the car shortly after that experience and swore never to buy another mitsu POS again. Good luck getting it worked out..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #53
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Don't get me started, I bought a new Yaris while waiting on the FRS. Stock suspension is crap. Tossed on TRD struts/springs and the Yaris can take a beating. The engine is absolutely bullet proof. Few guys thrashing these things for 400k miles changing nothing but brakes and fluids, check out youtube, you literally can't break them.

My original intent was to trade it in when the FRS came out but I decided its a keeper.

My FRS has been at the dealer the last two weeks for 4th gear grinding , while the Yaris has been tearing up the foothills, it has never been to the dealer for nothing, 50k miles.

If my FRS was as well built as my Yaris it would be a damn near perfect car.
My step dad boughtb a yaris 4 door for my sister. Ran perfect no problems ever. So you are correct starting to wish my frs was built by Toyota
Old 09-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #54
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
I remember older top gear episodes. They love Subaru, they say they never go wrong. Most reliable car u can buy. I guess that will soon change with our cars.
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #55
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I remember older top gear episodes. They love Subaru, they say they never go wrong. Most reliable car u can buy. I guess that will soon change with our cars.
I was under that impression too. Know several older subaru owners that had absolutely zero issues with those cars. However, the more I read about recent subarus the more I hear about horrible warranty help and actual mechanical issues with the newer cars.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #56
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Overlooking the fact that earlier WRX models have dogshit transmissions

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqRsOSQgi-g"]Subaru WRX Breaks a Transmission - YouTube[/ame]
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
burnt toast (09-29-2013)