follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2020, 04:47 PM   #1
ShadeShot

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Blown engine, suggestions?

Facts:
2015 BRZ
Less that 70k miles.
Has had a JDL uel header and tune for about 40k of those miles.

What happened:
Was driving down the highway. Felt a subtle loss of power so gave it a bit more gas. Didn't get any more power. Put it in neutral. Engine stopped. Pulled to the side of the highway. Will not start and makes some bad sounds when trying. Mechanic says metal in the engine oil.

My thoughts:
This sucks and I hate the FA20.
I do not think I would be happy with a completely stock engine.
Should I replace the engine and sell it?
Should I sell it with a blown engine?
Any other thoughts?
ShadeShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:43 PM   #2
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
How do you know it’s a blown motor? We need more info. Does it crank? Try to do a proper test. Check for spark, vacuum leaks and fuel

I freaking love my car.. but that engine really sucks. You can’t mod it without forged internals. I got a similar setup to yours too. Keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:39 PM   #3
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeShot View Post
Facts:
2015 BRZ
Less that 70k miles.
Has had a JDL uel header and tune for about 40k of those miles.

What happened:
Was driving down the highway. Felt a subtle loss of power so gave it a bit more gas. Didn't get any more power. Put it in neutral. Engine stopped. Pulled to the side of the highway. Will not start and makes some bad sounds when trying. Mechanic says metal in the engine oil.

My thoughts:
This sucks and I hate the FA20.
I do not think I would be happy with a completely stock engine.
Should I replace the engine and sell it?
Should I sell it with a blown engine?
Any other thoughts?
Selling it and you won’t get squat for it then you still have to buy another car. You can get an IAG short block with all the issues fixed. Better oiling, better bearings, rod and pistons and closer tolerances. The Stage 1 is rated for 550 hp so staying NA and you have a motor that is bulletproof for the most part. You’ll spend some dough but you’ll have a lot of reliability. It’s about 2500 more than a new stock short block but worth it IMO
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
ShadeShot

It cranks, but not easy. A lot of body movement when cranking. Plus, the metal shavings in the oil. Not good.

I have definitely considered the IAG motor.

After doing more research, it kinda seems like a spun bearing. It wasn't like a catastrophic explosion. More just loss of power, followed by engine shutdown, followed by no start, followed by metal in the oil.

If it is a spun bearing and I am just out of warranty, any chance subaru would replace the engine given this is somewhat of a known issue?
Old 08-31-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
It cranks, but not easy. A lot of body movement when cranking. Plus, the metal shavings in the oil. Not good.

I have definitely considered the IAG motor.

After doing more research, it kinda seems like a spun bearing. It wasn't like a catastrophic explosion. More just loss of power, followed by engine shutdown, followed by no start, followed by metal in the oil.

If it is a spun bearing and I am just out of warranty, any chance subaru would replace the engine given this is somewhat of a known issue?
I wouldn't think it likely, but it can't hurt to ask. The worst they can do is say no. I guess they could laugh at you and send out a hit squad, but that too, is unlikely.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:38 PM   #6
TommyW

Quote:
Not a chance in hell. Those lower end issues suck and I'd never replace the block with stock when there is an alternative for a little more money.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:57 PM   #7
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,250 Times in 676 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Has anyone here driven the base IAG engine? How does it feel? Can you tell any difference from a stock OEM engine?
I know in theory it should be more reliable. But who here actually owns one? How many miles do you have on it? What has the ownership experience been like? Any different than the stock engine?
Old 08-31-2020, 08:37 PM   #8
ShadeShot

My only hesitation with the IAG is that I want to turbo eventually. So the 10:1 would be good. However, can't afford the turbo at the moment, so would have to go with 12:1.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #9
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Just get a used engine from eBay and get it put in. Part out stuff from your old one and enjoy the car.

You can turbo on any compression you like. Just because it has reinforced internal parts doesn't mean it has to be different.

If high compression were so bad, how do people make between 350 and 500whp on stock block? Yeah, it'll be safer (tune wise) to have lower compression. But if people do 400whp on stock block, I don't see why you should doom yourself to lower compression on a stronger engine.
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:58 PM   #10
TommyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Has anyone here driven the base IAG engine? How does it feel? Can you tell any difference from a stock OEM engine?
I know in theory it should be more reliable. But who here actually owns one? How many miles do you have on it? What has the ownership experience been like? Any different than the stock engine?
I doubt you'll feel a difference in performance except for maybe smoother due to the closer piston\cylinder tolerances. the main thing is the much improved bottom end. 99.9% of the IAG buyers go FI. With NA I'm guessing that we'll see a lot of trouble free track miles.

I pick the car up Friday and will review. The reliability issues have stemmed from the sub par stock oiling and weak bearing, rod and piston designs. I just don't think guys staying NA had the wherewithal to spend the money on IAG which I think is a mistake. You spend a shitload of money on a new stock motor then expect it to be reliable when it proved not to be.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:59 PM   #11
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Just get a used engine from eBay and get it put in. Part out stuff from your old one and enjoy the car.

You can turbo on any compression you like. Just because it has reinforced internal parts doesn't mean it has to be different.

If high compression were so bad, how do people make between 350 and 500whp on stock block? Yeah, it'll be safer (tune wise) to have lower compression. But if people do 400whp on stock block, I don't see why you should doom yourself to lower compression on a stronger engine.

Not doubting you but any chance you can link me to anyone running 400whp on a stock block? I’ve heard of people blowing up engines bone stock. As far as I know, around 280whp is the safe maximum amount to run boost at. I could be wrong tho.

allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:23 PM   #12
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
Not doubting you but any chance you can link me to anyone running 400whp on a stock block? I’ve heard of people blowing up engines bone stock. As far as I know, around 280whp is the safe maximum amount to run boost at. I could be wrong tho.

As far as I know, Ptuning and Full Blown did for some time.
@FRS_JUSTIN and @Sportsguy83 @BRZoomTX

Something will give eventually- I had my stock block at 330whp and my timing chain let go. Even a built block can have problems. The opposite is true, too- there is no SAFE level of power above stock, it's a huge cocktail of potential weaknesses anytime you modify a car, that's the fun!
I'm not saying stock block is super strong by any means, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that compression ratio- the rods just seek sunlight
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
allowe (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:35 PM   #13
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
I doubt you'll feel a difference in performance except for maybe smoother due to the closer piston\cylinder tolerances. the main thing is the much improved bottom end. 99.9% of the IAG buyers go FI. With NA I'm guessing that we'll see a lot of trouble free track miles.

I pick the car up Friday and will review. The reliability issues have stemmed from the sub par stock oiling and weak bearing, rod and piston designs. I just don't think guys staying NA had the wherewithal to spend the money on IAG which I think is a mistake. You spend a shitload of money on a new stock motor then expect it to be reliable when it proved not to be.
Actually forged engines typically are more noisy until they reach operating temps. Usually forged pistons have a larger piston to wall clearance since they expand more then cast or hyper-whatever-it-is-called alloy pistons. Even then, depending on the build they may have more clearance based on application.
soundman98 (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:38 PM   #14
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Garage
Just a question---what are the metal pieces in the oil? That can tell you a lot about what failed. Big, little, color, magnetic.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-02-2020), NoHaveMSG (08-31-2020), soundman98 (08-31-2020)

Tags
blown engine