follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #2101
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm usually mid pack in my local group. At this same autocross, I spun out and had some sort of slip angle going most of the course.

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #2102
Fricke

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
want some advice Toyota GT86.
I will run the Time Attack Club series for 2015 in Sweden and would like some guidance to begin with,
know that they're completely individual how one prefers to set his car, but thought that perhaps more people have tried different settings here and can recommend what is bad and not
Have driven 7 track events 2014, on the following chassis.
BC racing BR coilovers. 10kg front / rear 7kg, oem Toyota GT86 swaybars and 225/45 17" Falken Azenis FK453 TW200.
the car has felt good, and have been really competitive, but on quick sharp turns,I think the car rolls a bit on the chassis.
so now I'd like some help with experience, about how stif sway bars I should have to tw180.
Club regulations allow only tires with a minimum UTQG180 = TW180 like the Yokohama Advan AD08R. do not want to be too hard either,because then I will lose time,because the tires are not sticky enough
so whats the limit of the thickness of solid and hollow sway bars, before they become too stif that they are just for r-tires and slicks fitment.

would appreciate it if people who have tried different thicknesses on swaybars and spring rates on fast street tires.
And actually seen a difference at times could answer

O and for 2015 i will be driving Advan AD08R 245/40 17" on enkei rpf1 17x9 et35.
Fricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #2103
brillo

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I recently installed the RCE yellows on my car which is running stock shocks and wheels. I have camber bolts upfront. I plan to get an alignment tomorrow, what should I be aiming for as far as a daily driver with occasional hpde time? Note this car is not my primary daily and is more of a toy/weekend car. What toe settings are optimal?

I know there isn't much they can do in the rear but I assume the springs will yield some camber gains.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #2104
Plastic Robot

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Premium
@Racecomp Engineering @CSG Mike
I’m wondering if I could get some advice on possible setups. Right now I’m running 225 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on an 8 inch wide wheel, but I might go up to a 235 or 245 if the suspension requires it. I’ve done quite a few autocross events in the STX class and I’m looking to improve the suspension. My goal is to get something that would be considered at least somewhat competitive in STX, but I’d also like to add in more track days and possibly transition to that in the future. I like the KW V3’s and the RCE Tarmac 2’s but for now I’m looking at slightly cheaper options: (I will probably include lower control arms for the rear in all of these setups, so I didn’t include the price of those)

Option 1: Feal 441 Coilovers (include camber plates) = $1350 Total
7k front, 6k rear spring rates with adjustable height and one way adjustable damping
The main reason I’m looking at these is because a few people have trophied with them in STX at nationals.

Option 2: Koni Yellow dampers + RCE Tarmac springs + HVT Camber Plate = $1373 Total
5k front, 5k rear spring rates with non-adjustable height and one way adjustable damping

Option 3: Bilstein B8 dampers + Swift Spec-R springs + Camber Plate = $1659 Total
4.4k front, 5.3k rear spring rates with non-adjustable height and non-adjustable damping

I realize that autocross and track driving require different setups, but if it’s possible I’d like to find a somewhat competitive autocross setup that would also be an improvement on the track.
If there’s any other setup you guys would recommend for my goals at around $2000 or less, please let me know. I’m always looking to gain knowledge from other people and any insight would help.
Plastic Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #2105
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricke View Post
want some advice Toyota GT86.
I will run the Time Attack Club series for 2015 in Sweden and would like some guidance to begin with,
know that they're completely individual how one prefers to set his car, but thought that perhaps more people have tried different settings here and can recommend what is bad and not
Have driven 7 track events 2014, on the following chassis.
BC racing BR coilovers. 10kg front / rear 7kg, oem Toyota GT86 swaybars and 225/45 17" Falken Azenis FK453 TW200.
the car has felt good, and have been really competitive, but on quick sharp turns,I think the car rolls a bit on the chassis.
so now I'd like some help with experience, about how stif sway bars I should have to tw180.
Club regulations allow only tires with a minimum UTQG180 = TW180 like the Yokohama Advan AD08R. do not want to be too hard either,because then I will lose time,because the tires are not sticky enough
so whats the limit of the thickness of solid and hollow sway bars, before they become too stif that they are just for r-tires and slicks fitment.

would appreciate it if people who have tried different thicknesses on swaybars and spring rates on fast street tires.
And actually seen a difference at times could answer

O and for 2015 i will be driving Advan AD08R 245/40 17" on enkei rpf1 17x9 et35.
I would not use 10k/7k spring rates...that is a recipe for understeer. Too soft in the rear. Yes you can add a big rear swaybar but I'd rather get the spring rates good first.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #2106
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by brillo View Post
I recently installed the RCE yellows on my car which is running stock shocks and wheels. I have camber bolts upfront. I plan to get an alignment tomorrow, what should I be aiming for as far as a daily driver with occasional hpde time? Note this car is not my primary daily and is more of a toy/weekend car. What toe settings are optimal?

I know there isn't much they can do in the rear but I assume the springs will yield some camber gains.
Max out your front camber, zero toe front, little bit of toe in for the rear like 1/16th.

- Andy
Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #2107
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Robot View Post
@Racecomp Engineering @CSG Mike
I’m wondering if I could get some advice on possible setups. Right now I’m running 225 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on an 8 inch wide wheel, but I might go up to a 235 or 245 if the suspension requires it. I’ve done quite a few autocross events in the STX class and I’m looking to improve the suspension. My goal is to get something that would be considered at least somewhat competitive in STX, but I’d also like to add in more track days and possibly transition to that in the future. I like the KW V3’s and the RCE Tarmac 2’s but for now I’m looking at slightly cheaper options: (I will probably include lower control arms for the rear in all of these setups, so I didn’t include the price of those)

Option 1: Feal 441 Coilovers (include camber plates) = $1350 Total
7k front, 6k rear spring rates with adjustable height and one way adjustable damping
The main reason I’m looking at these is because a few people have trophied with them in STX at nationals.

Option 2: Koni Yellow dampers + RCE Tarmac springs + HVT Camber Plate = $1373 Total
5k front, 5k rear spring rates with non-adjustable height and one way adjustable damping

Option 3: Bilstein B8 dampers + Swift Spec-R springs + Camber Plate = $1659 Total
4.4k front, 5.3k rear spring rates with non-adjustable height and non-adjustable damping

I realize that autocross and track driving require different setups, but if it’s possible I’d like to find a somewhat competitive autocross setup that would also be an improvement on the track.
If there’s any other setup you guys would recommend for my goals at around $2000 or less, please let me know. I’m always looking to gain knowledge from other people and any insight would help.
Option 2 is very good. I don't have any first hand experience with option 1. The Bilsteins I've only run with our RCE Tarmac springs. Also very good (as I'm sure it is with the Spec Rs) but I'm not sure the B8s are worth the premium over the B6s. Revavled B6s would be the ticket but cost a little more. Another options would be our RCE Tarmac 0s. They're basically a preset Tarmac 2.

Yes a nationals level STX car might be set-up a little different than a hardcore track car but you can do pretty well with both if tuned right.

Personally I'd think about option 2 with a few bushings added on.

- Andy
Old 10-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #2108
Plastic Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Option 2 is very good. I don't have any first hand experience with option 1. The Bilsteins I've only run with our RCE Tarmac springs. Also very good (as I'm sure it is with the Spec Rs) but I'm not sure the B8s are worth the premium over the B6s. Revavled B6s would be the ticket but cost a little more. Another options would be our RCE Tarmac 0s. They're basically a preset Tarmac 2.

Yes a nationals level STX car might be set-up a little different than a hardcore track car but you can do pretty well with both if tuned right.

Personally I'd think about option 2 with a few bushings added on.

- Andy

@Racecomp Engineering
Thanks for the advice. You guys have been very helpful and I'd be happy to become a customer with the RCE Tarmac springs.
With that being said, do you think the Koni's would still be a better match over the Bilstein B8's, regardless of the price difference? (Both being paired with RCE Tarmac springs)

Or is there another damper you would suggest to pair with the Tarmacs that would suit my goals better? (I'm willing to go up in price slightly)
Old 10-15-2014, 03:46 AM   #2109
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
the replacement performance dampers are very limited, as just Koni and Bilstein make them. The B6 vs B8 is literally only a difference in spring height you wish to use (damping is the same). Even that is subject to debate, with the B6's being cheaper, I'd go with those. IF you prefer adjustable dampers, than Koni no brainer.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #2110
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
@Racecomp Engineering
Thanks for the advice. You guys have been very helpful and I'd be happy to become a customer with the RCE Tarmac springs.
With that being said, do you think the Koni's would still be a better match over the Bilstein B8's, regardless of the price difference? (Both being paired with RCE Tarmac springs)

Or is there another damper you would suggest to pair with the Tarmacs that would suit my goals better? (I'm willing to go up in price slightly)
Like cdrazic said, your options are limited. But both Koni and Bilstein are very good options and to be honest you can't go wrong. Many happy drivers out there with both.

I'm more of a Bilstein guy and I would strongly consider a set of revalved Bilstein B6 as I think that would be the best option. I like the feel of a responsive monotube with some good gas pressure and the custom valving would take it to the next level. Not cheap though (add about 450 when it's all said and done with shipping).

Short of that, the Konis are pretty darn good too and what I run on my personal car (MINI).

- Andy
Old 10-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #2111
Plastic Robot

Quote:
Like cdrazic said, your options are limited. But both Koni and Bilstein are very good options and to be honest you can't go wrong. Many happy drivers out there with both.

I'm more of a Bilstein guy and I would strongly consider a set of revalved Bilstein B6 as I think that would be the best option. I like the feel of a responsive monotube with some good gas pressure and the custom valving would take it to the next level. Not cheap though (add about 450 when it's all said and done with shipping).

Short of that, the Konis are pretty darn good too and what I run on my personal car (MINI).

- Andy
@Racecomp Engineering
I like the idea of a revalved Bilstein B6, but I wouldn’t be entirely sure what to ask for when sending them in for the revalve. Is it just a matter of having them optimized for the 5k spring rates of the RCE Tarmacs, or will I have to be more specific about what I want out of the car and how I want the dampers to behave?

Can the B6 shocks handle the drop that the RCE Tarmac springs would provide? (From what I understand the revalve wouldn’t alter that)
The Following User Says Thank You to Plastic Robot For This Useful Post:
Turkish (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #2112
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

- Andy
If you're going to go through the expense of getting Bilsteins revalved, why not just get Tarmac Zero coilovers? It would end up being about the same price, I think.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #2113
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
@Racecomp Engineering
I like the idea of a revalved Bilstein B6, but I wouldn’t be entirely sure what to ask for when sending them in for the revalve. Is it just a matter of having them optimized for the 5k spring rates of the RCE Tarmacs, or will I have to be more specific about what I want out of the car and how I want the dampers to behave?

Can the B6 shocks handle the drop that the RCE Tarmac springs would provide? (From what I understand the revalve wouldn’t alter that)
Generally you give Bilstein the spring rates your using and maybe a few notes on how you use the car. If you go with RCE Tarmac springs we can go a little bit farther as we've worked with them extensively and can work with them to dial things in a little more for you.

B6s can handle the drop of the Tarmacs.

- Andy
Old 10-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #2114
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
If you're going to go through the expense of getting Bilsteins revalved, why not just get Tarmac Zero coilovers? It would end up being about the same price, I think.
That is true and another good option if you're willing to go the coilover route. Our T0 do really well on track and for auto-x.

- Andy