follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #197
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
I'm kind of cross-shopping these two right now...

Haven't driven the Fiesta ST yet, but I did drive the FRS last week for the first time.

I'm interested in the Fiesta because it looks fun to drive and isn't overpowered for a FWD car, plus light as heck like the Abarth and other small hot hatches. Its also practical and possibly slightly faster in a straight line than the twins (and probably going to be easily modded due to the turbo motor of course).

I was disappointed with the power of the FRS when I drove it, but everything else I loved. I need to see the Fiesta in person and test drive it, but the $3000 difference might be a problem for me I don't know yet for sure.

I have also been looking at the Abarth, MX-5 Club, Sonic RS, even used Mazdaspeed 3's... So I'm open to anything, but the Fiesta and BRZ/FRS seem to be my top 2 right now until I see the Fiesta in person.
*waves* Hi Kosta.

You already know my vote, but what is it that you find underwhelming about the power? The delivery? Where it's delivered? Coming from a lightly modified WRX I wasn't necessarily impressed and I'm still not, but I've realized it's not that important to me. Will I be adding FI? Probably down the line sometime, but the car is fun without it.

Will this car be your all-in-one car, your commuter, your only whip, your fun ride? If you can make a distinction of what kind of car you need, I think you'll find your answer.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #198
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
I'm kind of cross-shopping these two right now...

Haven't driven the Fiesta ST yet, but I did drive the FRS last week for the first time.

I'm interested in the Fiesta because it looks fun to drive and isn't overpowered for a FWD car, plus light as heck like the Abarth and other small hot hatches. Its also practical and possibly slightly faster in a straight line than the twins (and probably going to be easily modded due to the turbo motor of course).

I was disappointed with the power of the FRS when I drove it, but everything else I loved. I need to see the Fiesta in person and test drive it, but the $3000 difference might be a problem for me I don't know yet for sure.

I have also been looking at the Abarth, MX-5 Club, Sonic RS, even used Mazdaspeed 3's... So I'm open to anything, but the Fiesta and BRZ/FRS seem to be my top 2 right now until I see the Fiesta in person.
I'm in much the same position as you on this. One other plus for the Fiesta ST based on the videos I have seen (and my FR-S test drives) is that the ST has a much sweeter engine note in-cabin, not nearly so harsh.
Another car you may wish to add to your list is the new GTI coming next year - getting great reviews but may not have quite the enthusiast's edge as the other 2. The ST has been getting raves, most recently on Top Gear.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #199
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
This review is like comparing two runners. Usain Bolt wearing lead shoes and a fat guy on a bicycle.

OMG FAT GUY IS FASTER!

God is in the details, people.
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #200
AE86_Mikko

Drives: Bone Stock Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
One thing id say about this topic is that speed is one thing, but reliability/longevity is another one id look at...
AE86_Mikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #201
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE86_Mikko View Post
One thing id say about this topic is that speed is one thing, but reliability/longevity is another one id look at...
Both Ford (moreso recently) and Toyota have very long-lasting cars as of right now. And it pains me to say it, but at its core, this car is a Subaru. Not saying that Subaru's record isn't stellar (it is) but when it comes to this car, I do worry that we may be let down in the long run.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #202
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Both Ford (moreso recently) and Toyota have very long-lasting cars as of right now. And it pains me to say it, but at its core, this car is a Subaru. Not saying that Subaru's record isn't stellar (it is) but when it comes to this car, I do worry that we may be let down in the long run.
How so? Zero engine issues with my 05 STI and I've driven the hell out of it in all conditions. The only issues I've had worth mentioning are a minor radiator leak, a rear axle bearing went out, and the rear left wheel bearing started to go out. This is a first run new engine. If you're worried about it, get the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty for peace of mind and don't throw on a bunch of power upgrades (which are the most frequent reason for engine failure.
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kuhlka For This Useful Post:
myjobis2pimp (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #203
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhlka View Post
How so? Zero engine issues with my 05 STI and I've driven the hell out of it in all conditions. The only issues I've had worth mentioning are a minor radiator leak, a rear axle bearing went out, and the rear left wheel bearing started to go out. This is a first run new engine. If you're worried about it, get the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty for peace of mind and don't throw on a bunch of power upgrades (which are the most frequent reason for engine failure.
Again, I acknowledge that Subaru has a good record on most of its cars. Never doubted.

But with the twins....the DI failure on the harder driven cars (some w/o power adders), the possibility of failure with the HPFP (nobody has driven it long enough yet to make me feel more secure, IMO), and the cam issue (which fortunately seems to have been fixed), I don't think I am the only one on this forum who occasionally worries that we may not have this car as long as we would like.

And, yes, I actually did get the extended warranty.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #204
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Again, I acknowledge that Subaru has a good record on most of its cars. Never doubted.

But with the twins....the DI failure on the harder driven cars (some w/o power adders), the possibility of failure with the HPFP (nobody has driven it long enough yet to make me feel more secure, IMO), and the cam issue (which fortunately seems to have been fixed), I don't think I am the only one on this forum who occasionally worries that we may not have this car as long as we would like.

And, yes, I actually did get the extended warranty.

So 3 virtual non-issues are issues? The almost seems like trolling.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #205
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Think of it what you will, these concerns are borne out of genuine concern. I sincerely hope I am wrong.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #206
WithNolock

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm sure that those who have had the DI issue would argue that point. I don't think the twins are going to win any awards for initial or long term quality. Not that any brand new platform ever does but I think the consensus is that this car has more quality problems than it should.
WithNolock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #207
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Base Fiesta ST price (configured on Ford website) is: $22195.

That makes about ~$3k price difference from base FR-S.

I'd still pick the FR-S every time. Sexier, RWD, more mod potential.

ST while looks fun and quick is just ugly as hell (to me).
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #208
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithNolock View Post
I'm sure that those who have had the DI issue would argue that point. I don't think the twins are going to win any awards for initial or long term quality. Not that any brand new platform ever does but I think the consensus is that this car has more quality problems than it should.
I'm not so sure about how many quality problems it should or should't have. Remember, we're talking about model year 1 sports cars (not sporty cars) that are focused on low weight, moderate power. Lightweight cars that are driven hard tend to suffer from more initial quality issues. My comparison cars would be 1989/90 Miata (1st gen), 1992/3 RX-7 (3rd gen), 1984/85 MR2 (1st gen), 1996 Elise (1st gen) all had various quality issues in their first design/re-design iterations. Remember, we're not talking Camrys here.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #209
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:
I'm not so sure about how many quality problems it should or should't have. Remember, we're talking about model year 1 sports cars (not sporty cars) that are focused on low weight, moderate power. Lightweight cars that are driven hard tend to suffer from more initial quality issues. My comparison cars would be 1989/90 Miata (1st gen), 1992/3 RX-7 (3rd gen), 1984/85 MR2 (1st gen), 1996 Elise (1st gen) all had various quality issues in their first design/re-design iterations. Remember, we're not talking Camrys here.
I think you are reading too much into our posts. I expect a few small design flaws the first year (or even two) of production. Same as with any new launch, but nothing that would lemon the car, however.

To make a specific example, the DI seal failure that is associated with the cars that have seen more agressive use--we have no proof that this is just something that is only going to happen with those who take the car to its limits. What if they are just accelerating the issue, and my seals give out at 75k miles of "normal" driving instead of 15k of aggressive driving? Even if this is a brand-new platform, I shouldn't have to worry about a possible long-term problem like that.

On the note of seals, you left out an important one in your list of quality issues: The RX-8. Good car until you got to about 75-100k miles, then the seals gave out and you had a $5000 repair on your hands. I, for one, hope that our car doesn't go this route.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #210
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
I think you are reading too much into our posts. I expect a few small design flaws the first year (or even two) of production. Same as with any new launch, but nothing that would lemon the car, however.

To make a specific example, the DI seal failure that is associated with the cars that have seen more agressive use--we have no proof that this is just something that is only going to happen with those who take the car to its limits. What if they are just accelerating the issue, and my seals give out at 75k miles of "normal" driving instead of 15k of aggressive driving? Even if this is a brand-new platform, I shouldn't have to worry about a possible long-term problem like that.

On the note of seals, you left out an important one in your list of quality issues: The RX-8. Good car until you got to about 75-100k miles, then the seals gave out and you had a $5000 repair on your hands. I, for one, hope that our car doesn't go this route.
It's a difference of expectation. I do expect more than just a couple of issues with a model year 1 specialty car that weighs significantly less than it's competitors.

The DI issue has been reported mostly by those who have tracked the car daily. Yes they may be accelerating the issue, but any car driven extremely hard is bound to have some type of failure. I agree that it is a situation to monitor closely.

100k miles is all that I'm expecting out if this car if it's going regularly to the track. If it requires a major repair after 100k of track visits and DD. I chalk that up to the way it's being used and maintained over some fatal flaw in the cars design. Perfect cars are rare and that's why they're special. Once again, it's an '86, not a Camry, Civic, or even a Fiesta (all passenger cars I'd expect to hit 150k with some care).