follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2023, 05:49 AM   #99
horsinaround

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ECM Cross Reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by StegaDragon View Post
That's not going to fix it, they change the cam gears along with the ECU, how many miles on your car? If it's not too much past 60k then I would call Toyota and see if they can help

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
2013 Scion FRS manual. I got the P0018 Code. Replaced the cam gear. Dealer told me it is now mechanically fine, but to turn off the CEL, I need a new ECM. They said part number SU003-04674. Where can I find the cross reference from the numbers pictured on the ECU with the actual Scion part number? I bought one at a junk yard, put it in, car started and ran fine, but CEL was still on. It was an early 2013 model. Build date on mine is April 2013. ECM is Subaru HE 22765AC813 112700-1235 12V DENSO
horsinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:09 AM   #100
AussieBRZ

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsinaround View Post
2013 Scion FRS manual. I got the P0018 Code. Replaced the cam gear. Dealer told me it is now mechanically fine, but to turn off the CEL, I need a new ECM. They said part number SU003-04674. Where can I find the cross reference from the numbers pictured on the ECU with the actual Scion part number? I bought one at a junk yard, put it in, car started and ran fine, but CEL was still on. It was an early 2013 model. Build date on mine is April 2013. ECM is Subaru HE 22765AC813 112700-1235 12V DENSO

If you have a flash device capable of flashing in the correct tune calibration to the ECU then you can use any 2012-2012 ECU in any car they are same hardware wise just need to be flashed with correct calibration\tune to suit car

The P0018 cel can be the cam position sensor oil control vavle the actual cam actuator or the ECU Intuit's and outputs that control or input sensor data
AussieBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:04 PM   #101
horsinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieBRZ View Post
If you have a flash device capable of flashing in the correct tune calibration to the ECU then you can use any 2012-2012 ECU in any car they are same hardware wise just need to be flashed with correct calibration\tune to suit car

The P0018 cel can be the cam position sensor oil control vavle the actual cam actuator or the ECU Intuit's and outputs that control or input sensor data
I don’t have a flash device. Is there a list of compatible ECMs?

If I had a flash device could I just reflash my existing ECM? If I was to buy a flash device what would a good one be?
Old 01-27-2023, 11:24 AM   #102
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I don稚 have a flash device. Is there a list of compatible ECMs?

If I had a flash device could I just reflash my existing ECM? If I was to buy a flash device what would a good one be?

ECUTek can be used to flash it. There are several registered ECUTek tuners in Ohio. I suggest you contact one that specializes in our platform. That would be the quickest and least expensive solution.
Count to muffens and call again.
I知 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:26 AM   #103
horsinaround

Is there any cross reference for what ECM will work in what car?

I know there were a quite a few changes for the early build 2013 models. I think any May/2013 through Dec. 2014 ECM for a Manual trans car will work on a pre May 2013 Scion.

The tuners I have talked to want to deal with upgrades/tunes, not stock flashes. I am trying to buy the right ECM from a junk yard that will fix it and save $400 from buying it new from the dealer.... Any help or guidance is appreciated.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:35 PM   #104
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Quote:
Is there any cross reference for what ECM will work in what car?

I know there were a quite a few changes for the early build 2013 models. I think any May/2013 through Dec. 2014 ECM for a Manual trans car will work on a pre May 2013 Scion.

The tuners I have talked to want to deal with upgrades/tunes, not stock flashes. I am trying to buy the right ECM from a junk yard that will fix it and save $400 from buying it new from the dealer.... Any help or guidance is appreciated.
I'm going to give you the answer that you don't want to hear: You're going to have great difficulty and spend a great amount of time searching for the exact ECU for your car since you've made these repairs yourself.

The same ECU was used for every first gen BRZ, 86 and FR-S. What changed, not only from year to year, and from automatic to manual, and also depending on what country the car was sold in, was the Calibration ID numbers (CAL ID). These would indicate the specific tune for that specific cars' setup (and there are MANY of them).

You can find the CAL ID through the use of OBD 2 compliant code readers and software. Your OEM ECU has its own CAL ID for your original tune pre-cam gear replacement. You will have to find an ECU from a car that is of the same year, is the same region, the same transmission, and has had the same repair done to it by a dealer, and then you STILL might not have the correct CAL ID in the replacement ECU that you purchase.

You might try to start a new thread asking if anyone here has had this repair done matching your cars' setup to see if you can get any results. It's possible they may already know the CAL ID of the ECU for their post-repaired car and can steer you in the right direction.

I know there is a list of CAL ID's in the ECUTek software that I mentioned, (every CAL ID that has been found and registered in the database by our fellow tuners and ECUTek themselves) and I'm certain that one of those will work for your car, it's just that we have to determine which one.

If you don't mind me asking, (and you can PM me the answer if you'd like) where in Ohio are you located? If you're close enough, I may be able to help you.
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (01-30-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 09:40 AM   #105
horsinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
I'm going to give you the answer that you don't want to hear: You're going to have great difficulty and spend a great amount of time searching for the exact ECU for your car since you've made these repairs yourself.

The same ECU was used for every first gen BRZ, 86 and FR-S. What changed, not only from year to year, and from automatic to manual, and also depending on what country the car was sold in, was the Calibration ID numbers (CAL ID). These would indicate the specific tune for that specific cars' setup (and there are MANY of them).

You can find the CAL ID through the use of OBD 2 compliant code readers and software. Your OEM ECU has its own CAL ID for your original tune pre-cam gear replacement. You will have to find an ECU from a car that is of the same year, is the same region, the same transmission, and has had the same repair done to it by a dealer, and then you STILL might not have the correct CAL ID in the replacement ECU that you purchase.

You might try to start a new thread asking if anyone here has had this repair done matching your cars' setup to see if you can get any results. It's possible they may already know the CAL ID of the ECU for their post-repaired car and can steer you in the right direction.

I know there is a list of CAL ID's in the ECUTek software that I mentioned, (every CAL ID that has been found and registered in the database by our fellow tuners and ECUTek themselves) and I'm certain that one of those will work for your car, it's just that we have to determine which one.

If you don't mind me asking, (and you can PM me the answer if you'd like) where in Ohio are you located? If you're close enough, I may be able to help you.
Ok, An update... and maybe help for someone in the same boat.

2013 Scion FRS April 2013 Build date. Had P0018 Code. Replaced the timing gear. CEL stayed on Was permanent. Dealer said I needed a new ECM and to save a few bucks I could buy one on my own and put it in. They said I needed SCION part number SU003-04674. The original ECM is Subaru HE 22765AC813 112700-1235 12V DENSO. I called SCION parts and asked for the ECM... it was ~$500. I didn't know based on comments here and elsewhere if the ECM would fix it or not, and didn't want to lay out $500. I went to the junk yard and bought an ECM off a 2012 Manual SCION... HD 22765AC803-112400-4846. It started but CEL stayed on... Junk yard got that one back and i got my money back. I called Subaru parts and asked for a replacement for HE 22765AC813 112700-1235. They told me that part had been superseded by CW 22765AG511 112700-6501. I got on ebay, found one, and put it in...it works... Not sure what the difference is between the HE xxx and the CW xxx, but the Toyota / SCION dealer told me they had done upgrades to the ECM. Scion could not give me the upgrade part numbers printed on the ECM, had to go to Subaru for that.

Hopefully it sticks and keeps working/keeps me in business, and hopefully someone else finds this helpful...
Old 02-17-2023, 05:27 PM   #106
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Quote:
Ok, An update... and maybe help for someone in the same boat.

2013 Scion FRS April 2013 Build date. Had P0018 Code. Replaced the timing gear. CEL stayed on Was permanent. Dealer said I needed a new ECM and to save a few bucks I could buy one on my own and put it in. They said I needed SCION part number SU003-04674. The original ECM is Subaru HE 22765AC813 112700-1235 12V DENSO. I called SCION parts and asked for the ECM... it was ~$500. I didn't know based on comments here and elsewhere if the ECM would fix it or not, and didn't want to lay out $500. I went to the junk yard and bought an ECM off a 2012 Manual SCION... HD 22765AC803-112400-4846. It started but CEL stayed on... Junk yard got that one back and i got my money back. I called Subaru parts and asked for a replacement for HE 22765AC813 112700-1235. They told me that part had been superseded by CW 22765AG511 112700-6501. I got on ebay, found one, and put it in...it works... Not sure what the difference is between the HE xxx and the CW xxx, but the Toyota / SCION dealer told me they had done upgrades to the ECM. Scion could not give me the upgrade part numbers printed on the ECM, had to go to Subaru for that.

Hopefully it sticks and keeps working/keeps me in business, and hopefully someone else finds this helpful...
Glad you got it working.

This is probably a bit too late now, but I'm thinking you were looking for similar information. I just came across this in another thread. I knew I'd seen it before, I just couldn't remember where.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62332

If your solution ended up working out permanently, it would help the community if you could list the CAL ID numbers of your original ECU and of your replacement ECU. That way it can be documented as to what CAL ID works after the repairs that were made by the home mechanic who has access to the proper hardware and software so that they can reflash their own ECU. This would prevent the requirement of purchasing a new ECU.

By the way, what are you doing with your original ECU, if I may ask?
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
RedReplicant (03-13-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 08:40 AM   #107
horsinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Glad you got it working.

This is probably a bit too late now, but I'm thinking you were looking for similar information. I just came across this in another thread. I knew I'd seen it before, I just couldn't remember where.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62332

If your solution ended up working out permanently, it would help the community if you could list the CAL ID numbers of your original ECU and of your replacement ECU. That way it can be documented as to what CAL ID works after the repairs that were made by the home mechanic who has access to the proper hardware and software so that they can reflash their own ECU. This would prevent the requirement of purchasing a new ECU.

By the way, what are you doing with your original ECU, if I may ask?
Where does one get the CAL ID?
My solution is still working...so I hope it's solved and no more issues.
What should I do with the original ECU? PM me if you want it.
Old 02-19-2023, 11:58 AM   #108
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Quote:
Where does one get the CAL ID?
My solution is still working...so I hope it's solved and no more issues.
What should I do with the original ECU? PM me if you want it.
I explained what you need to find the CAL ID in post #104 above. Personally, if I'm not flashing calibrations and just checking DTC's or monitoring sensors, I use my OBDLink app on my Android phone with the Bluetooth OBDII connector that is used along with it. Using this app and hardware, you can find the CAL ID. I'm not saying that you have to use this specific app and Bluetooth connector, it's just the one I have chosen.

Edit: See this screenshot.
Name:  Screenshot_20230219-130908~2.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  129.0 KB

As for your old ECU, if you're not currently using it, but ever decide that you want to do any kind of tuning to your car, I would keep it for that purpose only, and use it to flash your tunes to so you can hold onto the ECU that you know works for your stock (and now repaired) set up.

But if you don't want it, I wouldn't mind having another spare.

Last edited by FR-S2GT86; 02-19-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:24 AM   #109
jes

Drives: FRS
This is a great thread

"If you buy a used ECU (note Toyota/Subaru call them ECM engine control modules) make sure its from the same model/year and transmission type ie auto/manual. Unless you have a flash device so you can flash the ecu with the correct rom all ecu up to 2016 appear to be same hardware even auto or manual is same."

Good advice.
jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:15 PM   #110
RafInAZ

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
So I bricked my ECU. Open flash tablet won’t read. After I replace the unit and updated with Techstream, is there a way I can use OFT to tune again? I’m assuming no, since it’s married to the ECU that now can’t be accessed, but reaching out in case I’m missing something
RafInAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 04:43 PM   #111
AussieBRZ

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafInAZ View Post
So I bricked my ECU. Open flash tablet won稚 read. After I replace the unit and updated with Techstream, is there a way I can use OFT to tune again? I知 assuming no, since it痴 married to the ECU that now can稚 be accessed, but reaching out in case I知 missing something

As long as you change the new ecu vin number to same as your original vin number that the oft was married to oft will work
AussieBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AussieBRZ For This Useful Post:
macuser27 (03-12-2023)