follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #1
Skylerkma

Drives: 2016 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Cam plate leak challenge

Alright time to get some help from the pros. So I bought a frs for a crazy good price. I knew something had to be wrong with it. After about 200 miles the cam plate started to leak. No big deal until I notice the top bolt is missing. And not just missing. The last owner snapped the piece of the motor off that had the threads for the top bolt to go into. Then it’s gets worse. The lower left bolt had half of its threads broken off. Grabbed a longer bolt from Home Depot that could reach the threads that are left and actually be torqued to spec. After pulling the cam plate off I can tell that they have had some trouble with it. It appears they have had leaks atleast 3 other times( I could tell just because of the different colors rtv’s used). Anyways it’s has a raceseng cam plate installed. No o-ring. So I contacted raceseng and they were nice enough to send me an o-ring. While I wait I figured I would just try some rtv and see if I could get lucky and get it to seal. No luck.. only made it 50 miles before I saw a slight leak. So once the o-ring comes I’m going to try that. But I have a feeling it’s not going to hold. So my question is. Has anyone taken this to the next level and sealed the hole behind the cam plate with a circular piece of metal. Like a huge washer or something. Obviously this will be my last resort. I’ve just read tons of stories about people not getting this cam plate to seal and I only have 2 of 3 bolts to work with. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bd7Y5drxUqcxg9CZ9

Last edited by Skylerkma; 04-01-2022 at 06:41 PM.
Skylerkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:44 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
You talking about the OCV's on the timing cover? Roundish thing with a couple tabs and a plug coming out. On the stock setup there is an o-ring and a nylon backer ring.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:20 PM   #3
Skylerkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You talking about the OCV's on the timing cover? Roundish thing with a couple tabs and a plug coming out. On the stock setup there is an o-ring and a nylon backer ring.
No talking about the cam plate. Behind the motor on passenger side of car
Old 04-01-2022, 07:30 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylerkma View Post
No talking about the cam plate. Behind the motor on passenger side of car
Okay, I gotcha now. They call it a cam plate but it is actually nothing to do with the cams. It covers a passageway for the PCV.

Edit: Actually I am wrong on that. That covers where the vacuum pump goes for the automatics that is cam driven.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:20 PM   #5
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
What is that big bolt you have the arrow pointing towards?

I’m wondering if you can drill new threads into where that mounting piece is missing.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #6
Skylerkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
What is that big bolt you have the arrow pointing towards?

I’m wondering if you can drill new threads into where that mounting piece is missing.
That’s the bolt I mounted to the block hoping I could mount either wire or hose clamp or something to hold the top of the cam plate where it needs to be. It’s either that or get a welder to weld me a place on the black and tap a knew bolt hole.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skylerkma For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (04-02-2022)

Tags
cam, leak, plate, rtv, snapped