follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
JohnAyySays

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Feedback from OEM Audio + Users

So I've been debating wheter or not the OEM Audio + is the best for me. I've read alot of reviews on the forums saying it is the best bang for the buck. But some people say that they can make a custom set up using the same money. The way I like my music is clear and also have that bass when I want it too. I've heard cars with just sub's and they have bass but most of the time it just overpowers the speakers where you can barely hear the actually song. Hope you guys can shed some light on what you guys love/hate about your system! Thanks!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Sounds like OEM Audio Plus is the system for you. The bass is perfect, IMO. Not overpowering, provides the perfect amount of fill in most situations. However if I want more bass it's just an EQ setting away (to the point where the bass can be overpowering, if that's what you wanted.)

Definitely worth every penny, IMO.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I am going the "building my own system route", but the installer I am working with raved about the OEM + system. He said they did an excellent job with the DSP and getting a proper soundstage. For me, it came down to budget. For around the same price I was able to upgrade not just the tweeter, but the woofer as well and also get a 10" sub vs 8" sub and a more powerful 5 channel amp. That said, I still have to buy a sound processor and get the sound quality fine tuned, and it is possible that the OEM + system, at the end of the day, would sound better.

I think it makes a lot of sense for folks that want a nice clean look and integration with the stock head unit. That said, OEM + will be releasing their next version that will have upgraded side and rear speakers along with the tweeter. Could be interesting, but I suspect it will push the price point to closer to $1400 or so before installation.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Personally, I love the OEM Audio Plus setup. I've installed custom systems in my autos for years. I have friends that do custom work as well. But for a system that has an easy application, stellar customer service, and just great sounds it was an amazing route to go.

With that said, I did change up my system a little more than most. I bought the OEM Audio plus kit but only used the DSP, Tweeters and wiring harness. I installed my own custom dual 10" Alpine Type R subs with Integrity Concept's boxes. I will be having the boxes custom painted to match the car. Also, I tuned my amp (after talking with OEM Audio Plus engineers) so it would match what the OEM Audio Plus sub would have done.

I'm completely stoked about the system. It sounds great and is loud. Loud and clear was important to me. I can't wait for OEM Audio to put out the rest of the Reference Series for the FR-S/BRZ. Then the system will be perfect. Plus, you can't beat true quality customer service today. Almost all companies are lacking today but OEM hits that note hard. Enjoy!
shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
JohnAyySays

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
@xjohnx @thill @shiro thanks you guys for the feedback! Seems like the OEM Audio Plus will be the best plug and play kit I could get for our car's at the moment. Hopefully I can find a vendor that will be able to sell me the kit lower than MSRP. Any suggestions if any vendor on this forums sells this system? I've looked and can't seem to find any vendors. Thanks!(:
Old 08-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAyySays View Post
@xjohnx @thill @shiro thanks you guys for the feedback! Seems like the OEM Audio Plus will be the best plug and play kit I could get for our car's at the moment. Hopefully I can find a vendor that will be able to sell me the kit lower than MSRP. Any suggestions if any vendor on this forums sells this system? I've looked and can't seem to find any vendors. Thanks!(:
trdsparks.com says on their webpage to contact them for a special sales price. I believe they use to advertise it for 999, so it's probably somewhere in that area.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=4425
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
This is where I ordered my OEM Audio Plus Kit. I bought it for ~999.99. Worth every penny to me.

http://www.toyotapartsoutlet.com/scr...idproduct=-240
shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
thill

Man you FR-S owners are lucky. I could not find the BRZ version anywhere for under $1200.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Man you FR-S owners are lucky. I could not find the BRZ version anywhere for under $1200.
I'm fairly certain that a Toyota / Scion dealer can order the version for the BRZ. It's just a different dash number.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
I'm fairly certain that a Toyota / Scion dealer can order the version for the BRZ. It's just a different dash number.
I tried that with a Toyota dealer near me that installs OEM +. Yes, they can order the BRZ version but the cost is $1199 + tax + install. The FR-S version can be found for under $1K online. With tax and install it is about $1500 for the BRZ version which is pretty pricey for what you get.

I could install it myself and save about $200.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Garage
If you are not an expert on sound I would recommend just going the OEM Audio+ route. Even if you bought the parts custom you would still have to tweak a bunch of things to get the perfect sound output.

The OEM Audio+ is appealing since:
1) Takes 3-5 hours to install instead of multiple days.
2) Build quality is excellent and the fitment is perfect (maximizes trunk space because the sub enclosure is made for the frs/brz and fits snuggly in the awkward side spots in the car)
3) Leave all existing wires intact, no cutting/splicing (besides the small cut you make in the cloth behind the woofer to get the wires in.
4) Looks stock (could be a con if that's not what you want).
5) Minimize surprises. One thing I realized after doing a bunch of aftermarket stuff is things never go perfectly. The last thing you want is realize you bought a 100 dollar speaker that doesn't really fit.
6) Warranty / Customer service is great.
7) No sound tuning required

Also as thill said the DSP amplifier is amazing. It'd be hard to beat this amplifier even with a 500 dollar amplifier budget.

My only complaint is the bass could be a little more explosive. IMO this is more of a SQ setup (the sound quality is seriously amazing) but if you want to impress your friends by shattering their windows with monstrous bass you might want to go another route. You will still need to deaden the vibrations in your car with the OEM+ though as it will cause things to shake.

I really feel like they should have made this an option when buying the car.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote