follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #99
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floggin Tires View Post
Right right, almost.

You can however push the middle button inside the fan speed dial.
It will change the locations, (ie Windshield, vent, floor.)
Give it a go.
With my selector set to feet only, I still get air from the side dash vent. Fortunately flipping it closed is a pretty effective block.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #100
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
Seriously, I don't know how this many people are completely void of HVAC knowledge on cars. My CRX did it. My 626 did it. So did my SRT-4, 330Ci, and Outback. This isn't 400 level thermodynamics, it's common freaking sense. Unless you want to put an HVAC intake snorkel on your damn car, it's going to blow warm in the summer.

Man up.
Ummm... Driving around in 60 degree weather with the air ON, recirc OFF, AC OFF - 85 degree air blowing out of the vents!

NONE of my previous cars have ever done this!

I am just guessing it is a combination of engine bay heat soak on the vents AND that they do not divert the incoming heat away from the heater core.
Has anyone actually taken the system apart enough to know if these cars are capable of diverting fresh incoming air around the heater core?
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
fistpoint (10-30-2013), FyeaFRS (11-01-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 05:09 AM   #101
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBeaverFace View Post
Do it with gold foil heat reflector tape, make it look nice and you'll probably get responses. They sell it at most auto parts stores for $10-$15. I would try this but I wouldn't be able to give you an answer until next summer as it already cold as balls here

My vents stayed closed and my windows stayed open last summer but I will want to change that next time around for highway driving at least.
Thanks EBF. I will look out for that tape. I think too that a thin air gap behind the reflective material helps.
notout86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to notout86 For This Useful Post:
EvilBeaverFace (10-31-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #102
Ravenft86

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Not true, i always have mines on LO and it still comes out hot air
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan View Post
You guys are gonna love this...

The HVAC unit in the FRS/BRZ twins operate exactly the same way as Toyotas of past. The temperature of air blowing out the vents has to do with whatever temperature the HVAC is set to when off. Therefore, by turning on your fan controller and turning the temperature down to LO and then turning the fan off, you will get cool air blowing into the cabin rather than hot air.

So if you are experiencing hot air blowing into your cabin from the air vents when HVAC is off, perform the following:
1. Turn on the fan speed. This can be at any level, I prefer one notch.
2. Turn down the temperature. The lower the temperature, the cooler the air that blows out of your vents.
3. Turn off your HVAC system.

The temperature of the air coming out of your vents should now reflect what the HVAC controls were set to before you turned the system off.

Even when off, the HVAC is constantly blowing air into the cabin. That temperature of air is what you last set your settings to.

The works inversely as well. If you want warm air slightly blowing in on a cold day but don't want the fan working or HVAC system on, you can turn the system on briefly to set your desired temperature.

This is how the HVAC system works on all of our Toyotas with automatic climate control and now also the BRZ.

I hope this helps. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.
Ravenft86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:06 AM   #103
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notout86 View Post
I seem to have solved the problem on our car. I made an heat shield strip from aluminium foil to cover the length of the black plastic duct in the engine compartment to deflect radiant heat from the engine. See pic attached. I only expected it to work partially but it works really well. Heat soak from the engine and sun means it can take a while for outside-temperature air to start coming through but it does eventually which to me proves that duct is a major source of the problem. While I was at it I allowed some of the foil to extend down to shield some plastic connecters and some of the firewall. Previously I sealed off an opening near the bonnet hinge that allowed a little engine compartment air into the duct but that acheived nothing.
Ideally I think a lining of foil covering the complete inside the duct would work faster and reduce the effect of the sun, not to mention looking more professional, but I only tried it as a "proof of concept" exercise. Getting inside the duct looks like a pain too. Yet another example of the benefits of heat shielding rocket science to mankind !
Prompted by a private message enquiry about my Al shield idea I used a thermometer to measure the centre vent air temp and the outside ambient temp.
When the ambient was 27 Celsius the vent was at 29.5 with full on fan and 32 at position two clockwise from off.
I must say that I am surprised at this as I normally use that low fan position and sticking my hand in front of the vent then out the window I always thought there was very little difference and certainly not a whopping 5 degrees hotter from the vents. My wife thought so too and we voted the shield a success.
I should repeat measurements with the shielding removed but it required a bit of care and effort to get it in place. I would be interested to hear from others what difference you measure without shielding to know if I am having a lend of myself.
I drove the car for 20 minutes to stabilise everything before measuring.
dssence (03-07-2014), strat61caster (03-06-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #104
FyeaFRS

Drives: 1992 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type-M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I was wondering when this thread was going to reappear..
FyeaFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #105
AjaxKing

Drives: Toyota FR-S Monogram Whiteout Pearl
Google is my friend

Last edited by AjaxKing; 03-06-2017 at 11:31 PM.
AjaxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #106
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjaxKing View Post
This is not related to the issue discussed on this thread - although I cannot find any info on it, on this forum - so I'll start here. If you want me to start a new topic, please let me know.

I purchased this car recently from the first owner, and neither of us are smokers.

Yet, somehow, when I turn the heater on high, (with the recirculating button off), I have a strong smell of cigarettes coming into the cabin. I thought for a minute a mechanic somewhere along the road maybe dropped a cigarette into the engine bay, and since it's pretty much enclosed, the cigarette gets warm by the engine's heat and makes its way into the ducts. Either that, or someone stuck a cigarette into the vents below the windshield. Who knows?

I could just keep using the recirculating air button, but I like to have all the buttons off as much as possible.

Is there a quick fix to this? Like, dropping the pan under the engine, or pressure-washing out the engine bay? Or, removing the vent below the windshield to look for cigarette butts? I'm hoping it doesn't need the heater core replaced, but I will do that if need be, since I intend to keep the car.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Start with changing the cabin air filter. If that doesn't do it then check the windshield vents.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24062
8RZ (02-06-2017), Icecreamtruk (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #107
AjaxKing

Drives: Toyota FR-S Monogram Whiteout Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Start with changing the cabin air filter. If that doesn't do it then check the windshield vents.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24062
I'll check it out. Thanks!
AjaxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #108
ChimpMania

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ 6MT
can anyone confirm that it is not possible to fully turn off our AC? i noticed even if i have it on 0 i still feel air coming through the vents
ChimpMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #109
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimpMania View Post
can anyone confirm that it is not possible to fully turn off our AC? i noticed even if i have it on 0 i still feel air coming through the vents
Not sure if troll or serious...

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #110
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimpMania View Post
You will have air passing through the dash vents even with the fan off when you are moving. I can't remember for sure but I think if you set it to the floor setting and turn off the fan it stops flowing. I usually just close the vent.
ChimpMania (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #111
ChimpMania

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You will have air passing through the dash vents even with the fan off when you are moving. I can't remember for sure but I think if you set it to the floor setting and turn off the fan it stops flowing. I usually just close the vent.
thank you
ChimpMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #112
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Or, you can press the recirculate button (so that it lights up) and it will close off the air going through the vents.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote