follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Aznek

Drives: 2013 White Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Scion Buying Advice - Cash Rebates & Freebies

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I don't believe this question has been asked yet.

Does anyone here have any experience with buying Scions? I understand that Scion has this "Pure Pricing" policy but is it possible to get a cash rebate for paying in full or to have freebies thrown in?

Also, I was car shopping earlier this year and it seems like many dealers play dumb when you ask about cash rebates. As most people here probably do, I would check for manufacturer cash rebates online and when I would mention paying in full to the salesmen and ask about saving any money for doing so, they would say something along the lines of "sure, you'll save money by not having to pay the interest on the loan" :S

Anyways I am really excited to buy this car but I just like getting the most I can get out of my dollar.

I live in Canada btw.
Aznek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Pure pricing bullshit. You still can haggle when the dealership want to move their cars out of the lot.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
ryude

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznek View Post
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I don't believe this question has been asked yet.

Does anyone here have any experience with buying Scions? I understand that Scion has this "Pure Pricing" policy but is it possible to get a cash rebate for paying in full or to have freebies thrown in?

Also, I was car shopping earlier this year and it seems like many dealers play dumb when you ask about cash rebates. As most people here probably do, I would check for manufacturer cash rebates online and when I would mention paying in full to the salesmen and ask about saving any money for doing so, they would say something along the lines of "sure, you'll save money by not having to pay the interest on the loan" :S

Anyways I am really excited to buy this car but I just like getting the most I can get out of my dollar.

I live in Canada btw.
You get a discount for being a prior scion owner, a discount for military, and sometimes they have other rebates.
ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Pure pricing bullshit. You still can haggle when the dealership want to move their cars out of the lot.
Doubtful on the FRS as it will be a hot commodity. Demand will outstrip supply.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Driver

Drives: GTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
false. if a scion dealer discounts the price of a scion they could lose their scion franchise. that is a fact and was apart of the deal when buying into the scion franchise years ago. could there be some real dumb sales managers that have in the past and will in the future lower to price, i'm sure there have been and will be. however to bank on haggling when buying a scion is foolish. The mark up is extremely minimal and to think they are going to do that and risk losing their scion franchise is extremely unlikely.

the whole point in creating pure pricing was to eliminate that aspect of car purchasing for newb's (young adults) so you are misinformed.
Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
WhiteGDB

Drives: Civic Si sedan
Don't mention purchasing in full until you settle on a purchase price. Dealers bank on making money off loans, so they may not give you as good a deal if they know your buying in cash or have your own loan secured.
WhiteGDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
false. if a scion dealer discounts the price of a scion they could lose their scion franchise. that is a fact and was apart of the deal when buying into the scion franchise years ago. could there be some real dumb sales managers that have in the past and will in the future lower to price, i'm sure there have been and will be. however to bank of haggling on a scion is foolish. The mark up is extremely minimal and to think they are going to do that and risk losing their scion franchise is extremely unlikely.

the whole point in creating pure pricing was to eliminate that aspect of car purchasing for newb's (young adults) so you are misinformed.

This^

Scion, just like other dealers, will give different rebates for different cars throughout the year. While you cant get them to lower the price of the vehicle, you can get them to give you more for a trade in, provided you have one. I got them to pay off my car fully when I bought my 2012 tc and I owed 2k more than what kbb valued it at. Its all just a game when it comes to buying car, you just gotta know how to play.

When the car comes out, go to scions site and look for any special offers for the frs.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
This^

Scion, just like other dealers, will give different rebates for different cars throughout the year. While you cant get them to lower the price of the vehicle, you can get them to give you more for a trade in, provided you have one. I got them to pay off my car fully when I bought my 2012 tc and I owed 2k more than what kbb valued it at. Its all just a game when it comes to buying car, you just gotta know how to play.

When the car comes out, go to scions site and look for any special offers for the frs.
Automakers only offer special offers/cash back on cars they can't move or at the end of a year to move old stock. That won't happen with the FRS. You think Scion will have a hard time moving this car if they price it right?
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
not true. Special financing and leasing options are alway given for cars. Rebates happen on the time for cars irregardless of whether or not they have problems moving the car. The 2011 mazda I owned for 3 months had rebates as did the scion(though the tc was just for being military)

Point is, if the op is curious about rebates and buying options, he can keep an eye on the scion site when the car is released.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
false. if a scion dealer discounts the price of a scion they could lose their scion franchise. that is a fact and was apart of the deal when buying into the scion franchise years ago. could there be some real dumb sales managers that have in the past and will in the future lower to price, i'm sure there have been and will be. however to bank on haggling when buying a scion is foolish. The mark up is extremely minimal and to think they are going to do that and risk losing their scion franchise is extremely unlikely.

I have heard all the crap when I bought motorcycle gears. Dealers and distributor were like "No discount on Sidi, and RS taichi (motorcycle gear brands)" because Sidi and RS taichi are really strict about dealer discount. I still can get at least 10-15% off. Most people hear about no discount, no haggle, pure pricing things, they don't bother haggling.
I doubt Toyota will take away the franchise from any dealer because they are here to do business. One dealer closed, number of sales decrease. IIRC, Toyota dealership got 3-5% of invoice price bonus each car they sell + they got the car lower than invoice price. If they sell less than MSRP, they still make thousands on a 20K car.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
NickDude84

Drives: 06' Scion TC
I like scions pure price. I have a feeling Subaru will try and sell this car at over msrp price when it comes out. Where scion cannot pit a premium on popular cars. What I can tell u to do (which will be what I'm going to do) go to a credit union open an account and get financing b4 walking into the dealer and then go to the dealer and just buy what ever u get the car u want at a credit union interest rate. The credit union that I belong to is currently offering 2.5% for 60 months
NickDude84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

I have first hand experience (Well, my dad does, and he told me all about it) with haggling with Scion! Got 1500 bucks off of a tC.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Driver

Drives: GTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Automakers only offer special offers/cash back on cars they can't move or at the end of a year to move old stock. That won't happen with the FRS. You think Scion will have a hard time moving this car if they price it right?
I think he was saying check the web site once it is released and see if they do indeed offer anything. I dont think he was guaranteeing that they will have incentives.

It will be interesting to discover though because I know right now scion offers a college grad program where if you've graduated from an accredited college or tech school within two years from when you'd like to buy a scion (specifics you'd have to check with your dealer) with no derogatory credit you automatically qualify for $1000 rebate.

Will they offer this with the FRS? I have no idea. you are correct that they will not have trouble selling this vehicle but in relation to the other scions sold currently their are incentives offered year round. if you qualify.
Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
If they don't have any problem moving the car, they should plan making it 50K units/year not a few thousands units/ year worldwide.