follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #29
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyler View Post
What sized tires are you using?
Look 4 posts above yours.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #30
trustyler

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Look 4 posts above yours.
Oh I missed that. I just got my Swift BRZ springs also. Haven't installed them yet though. How are you liking them as of now? Did it rub because of the offset? Did you need a camber kit as a requirement or just a toe adjustment?
trustyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
Squishy86

Drives: Your Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Is there any visual differences between FRS and BRZ spec? Each person that I've talked to that is selling a used set is never 100% sure.

Edit: @Corner3garage You seem to be a great advocate for these springs. Any visual difference? And what is your preference between each spec for a DD with an autox weekend several times a year?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #32
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyler View Post
Oh I missed that. I just got my Swift BRZ springs also. Haven't installed them yet though. How are you liking them as of now? Did it rub because of the offset? Did you need a camber kit as a requirement or just a toe adjustment?
the rubbing is caused by a combination between the wheel offset and negative camber I added from camber bolts. I added more camber by choice, not a necessary modification. You will have less than half a degree of negative camber out front without any camber adjustments. Although, the rear will gain some considerable negative camber. I'm relatively satisfied with them for what they are, just lowering springs on stock dampers. Although I wish I had gone with the FR-S specs or Hotchkis springs over these as I think they would be better suited to the stock dampers than these even if I think I like the BRZ spec spring rates better.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #33
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabSquishy View Post
Is there any visual differences between FRS and BRZ spec? Each person that I've talked to that is selling a used set is never 100% sure.

Edit: @Corner3garage You seem to be a great advocate for these springs. Any visual difference? And what is your preference between each spec for a DD with an autox weekend several times a year?
I think there are some part numbers on the coils, but they were taped on. I don't think there is any difference visually. I could be wrong tho.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:41 AM   #34
trustyler

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
the rubbing is caused by a combination between the wheel offset and negative camber I added from camber bolts. I added more camber by choice, not a necessary modification. You will have less than half a degree of negative camber out front without any camber adjustments. Although, the rear will gain some considerable negative camber. I'm relatively satisfied with them for what they are, just lowering springs on stock dampers. Although I wish I had gone with the FR-S specs or Hotchkis springs over these as I think they would be better suited to the stock dampers than these even if I think I like the BRZ spec spring rates better.
With the pogoing won't you need a stiffer front? I was torn between the FRS Swift Springs and the BRZ Swift ones and multiple vendors PM'ed me that BRZ was better for higher speed. They also said that for DD I won't feel the difference between the 2 different front springs much. But hey, you know stuff based on experience. I haven't even installed mine yet. Lol! Too bad nobody has bought both and compared them side by side on an FRS.
trustyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #35
solidONE

more spring will require more damping.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #36
Corner3garage

Drives: FR-S & BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabSquishy View Post

There is definitely a visual difference with other springs, but from FRS and BRZ the rates are so close that there is no visual difference.

Their proprietary metal allows them to coil the spring with LESS COILS and this makes the spring lighter.

I would suggest a BRZ set if you are looking to AUTOx, just because more people are claiming they have more neutral handling and since you are autox'ing you can always change driving styles to accomodate more oversteer.

Thanks,
Mike
Corner3garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #37
Kami Speed

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Kami Speed
Quote:
I installed a set of Swift BRZ springs ordered from kami speed. 2 reasons I chose this spring kit over others was the spring rates (3.8k f/4.5k r) seemed like they would reduce some of the oversteer without inducing understeer. Second reason is that the modest 1" drop will retain some effective stroke with the dampers while giving me some much needed negative camber. Oh... and also the sample picture lead me to believe that these springs had less number of total coils. In reality it has the exact same number of coils per spring compared to the factory units. http://www.kamispeed.com/Swift-Sport...FShxQgodn0QAPg

My impressions of these springs is that the spring rates seem better suited for the factory dampers than the stock FR-S springs. Although the front springs would benefit from a bit more rebound damping, the way the front seem to want to push back a bit after going over some larger bumps. Other than that, I'm very happy with this mod. The ride feels slightly better than stock while cruising and the chassis stays flatter under hard cornering. The oversteering tendencies under throttle has been muted and turn in has pretty much stayed the same as with just front camber bolts, as far as I can tell.

In retrospect I think their FR-S spec spring kit (3k f/ 4.5k r) would have worked better with the factory dampers. This is with just spirited driving and commuting on the streets on factory rims/tires. Hopefully I can get back on the track soon and see how I like these springs there with some stickier tires. For the money, I'm happy with the result and I'm one to look for the 'best bang for buck'. Would recommend.
Great Review!!! And Thank you for the shout-out
Kami Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #38
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kami Speed View Post
Great Review!!! And Thank you for the shout-out
I had a very good transaction with you guys. Good price and really fast shipping considering you guys are on the other side of the US.

The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
Kami Speed (12-10-2013)
Old 02-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #39
YodrOne

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes it rebounds to quickly with these springs, but it's not horrible. The rears are pretty much on point. That is why I think the 3k or 3.3k front spring of the FR-s spec and hotchkis would be closer to ideal.

Believe it or not my fastest time on that road was with stock suspension and tires.
Were your track times with Swift springs quicker, all else being equal? I'm contemplating a spring swap but can't gauge how much additional spring the stock damper is actually capable of handling without degradation in track performance. The brand seems to be good (Showa), and some people think they're a bit over damped for the stock springs which leads me to believe they can handle more than 3/4.5.

It seems the Swifts run only slightly stiffer compared to stock, similar to other sport springs. Any feedback on something like the Ground Control setup which favors much more spring (6.7/7.7). Any one you know run that setup on track? Any feedback?

So is it safe to conclude that in your experience unless you're looking for the drop (which I'm not), the marginal spring increase with Swift is not worth it in terms of track performance?
YodrOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #40
solidONE

I have not tested the Swift springs with RS3 tires as it would not have qualified me stock class in 2013 86 CUP, so I ran the 300TW Goodyears going CCW at Streets of Willow. With the Stock springs with RS3 tires going CW at Streets of Willow my times were about the same as when I did SOW CCW on 300TW Goodyears. Considering the lack of grip compared to the RS3 tires, I was able to go about the same pace. My gut feeling is that Swift springs will improve lap times with all else equal. This is as unscientific as it gets.

On the test road, since it is only 1/2 a mile long, the time difference between the setups has more to do with my inconsistent driving than anything. As far as the feel of the chassis goes, there is an improvement in feel along with signifigantly decreased body roll wile under cornering, also the tail of the FR-S does not rotate as easily upon mid-corner throttle application allowing me to apply more throttle earlier and much more confidence inspiring. I believe this, at least for me, 'should' translate to faster laps.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:21 AM   #41
Dihudaxia

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I figured I should contribute to this thread since so many of your reviews has helped in my purchase decision.

Purchased a set of Swift Sport Mach lowering spring (FR-S Spec) from Kamispeed. Great service and good price!

Had it installed with a slight negative camber (-1.5 front, -2 rears) and have been driving around for about a week now. Aside from cutting the bottom rung off my stock bumpstops, all other suspension components are stock.

So far I have had quite a fair bit of experience with coilovers, both cheap and branded. My biggest annoyance is always ride comfort. Having tried so many coilovers, I was quite surprised that a simple set of springs can easily outperform a cheap rubbishy TW made coilovers.

So does it live up to my high expectations? Here is my honest feedback..
In a word; No
Will it recommend it; maybe

Wondering why? Read on….

Aesthetics & Quality:
Seems like the advertised drop in ride height is conservative. To my eyes, it seems more than advertised. However, I did not really measure it. Too low for my liking anyways. So far I have not experienced any squeaking or creaking noises yet.

Very good!

Ride Quality:

The Low Speed Ride (10km/h – 30km/h): Over all kinds of road conditions, be it smooth, uneven or bumpy, there is pretty much no discernable difference between my stock setup and these springs. Strangely though on some really rough surfaces, I think these spring may even be more comfortable.

Weird but I Like! Very good!

At Cruising Speeds (40km/h – 80km/h): This is where everything begins to go downhill. I won’t describe smooth road conditions cos at whatever speed, if the road is smooth to slightly uneven, everything is good. But once it gets bumpy (poorly repaired roads, potholes etc), this is where the combination of stiffer springs and stock dampers is somewhat lacking. Each sharp bump sends a shudder into the cabin and make it feel crashy and uncomfortable esp if you end up on a patch where it strings multiple bumps and seriously uneven surfaces into one long torturous strip of rubbish tarmac.

Bad!

At High Speeds (100km/h and above): Oddly once up to speed, the same bump does not feel all that bad, the bouncy sensation is still there, but oddly, less so. But then again, I don’t go travelling down such a bumpy road that fast, I ain’t crazy. Highway cruising is slightly bouncier than stock, but no serious complaints.

Acceptable...

Handling:
Improved if only marginally, the floaty feeling is lesser, turn in is about the same as stock

Cornering on the limit is a hit & miss, I like the slightly oversteery feel of the stock setup, this does minimize it. Makes it feel more controlled thru most corners.

When hitting a bump mid-corner at speeds, again, not pleasant. Deflection is the result but fortunately its not serious enough... Not very different from stock, just abit worse.

Body Roll:
Minimised. But still present.

How is it like on the track you say?
No idea, not tested. Next track day is in Oct, will provide an update then.

Summary on the handling?
Meets my expectations

In closing, I reckon for the money, if it is this or cheap coilovers, get this. Simply because it still performs better than most of the crap-fest coilovers out there. Its cheap, it improves handling to a small degree, and unless you travel over really bumpy roads, for the most part it feels almost like stock. I am not entirely happy with it cos I am a snob when it comes to ride comfort. It always has to be smooth.

Can’t really blame the springs entirely, I think the dampers are just not perfectly matched or it does not control the stiffer spring movements as well as I had hoped. And also, I suspect my car is too low and all the larger bumps start activating the bumpstops even though I sliced off about 1’ from it.

I will keep the springs for now, do more extensive testing… Am tempted to upgrade to Bilstein B8’s, hopefully that will provide better controlled damping for the springs.
Dihudaxia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dihudaxia For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (08-03-2014), Hyper4mance2k (09-23-2014), Kami Speed (07-29-2014), Maverickgear (07-29-2014), moK (07-29-2014), Mr.Impreza (08-10-2016), Sleepless (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #42
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dihudaxia View Post
I figured I should contribute to this thread since so many of your reviews has helped in my purchase decision.
I concur with everything he said. How much is one of these things in Singapore anyway? Your GT86 I mean.