follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #57
TheLaughingMan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I wanted to get some advice in regards to all of this. So I've read through this thread, as well as some others, but I still can't decide which route is best to go.

So I have a FI setup and the oil galley plug near the alternate is where the turbo gets its oil, so that is out of the picture (maybe). Sandwich plate is also iffy as I have the Forester XT OEM oil cooler.

I want to get the Innovate dual oil temp/pressure gauge but am not sure where to place the sensors.

I have seen people use sandwich plates with the XT OEM oil cooler...but it seems janky to me (but maybe I'm wrong and it's totally fine). Apparently some people also use the XT OEM oil cooler with an aftermarket air/oil cooler with an additional sandwich plate.

Another solution I tried to think of was to use the Killer B Dual Oil Sender Adapter in combination with a remote oil pressure sending kit placed at the stock oil pressure location. This would allow me to retain the stock pressure sensor (not that I'd really need it)

I would love to put the temperature sensor there and just forget the stock pressure sensor, but just based on images it looks like the temperature sensor is too long to fit into that adapter.

So if I went that route, I then don't know where to put the temperature sensor

One idea I had was to T off of galley plug so the turbo still gets oil from there, but the temperature sensor is mounted to the T directly?

Obviously I want to put both sensors in locations where they are going to provide the most accurate information. People say that Innovate says not to place the sensors too close to the stock temperature sensor, though I'm not sure why.

Thoughts/opinions?
Old 04-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #58
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srscion View Post
Do you have a problem with the accuracy of that oil pressure gauge. I have the same gauge and my oil pressure has always read lower than other people that have different brands of oil pressure gauges. Its possible the sensor is ruined because the startup oil pressure exceeds the limit of the gauge and its sensor.
Yes, I do believe it read a bit low, at least at idle. I have replaced it with a mechanical gauge.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #59
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
I wanted to get some advice in regards to all of this. So I've read through this thread, as well as some others, but I still can't decide which route is best to go.

So I have a FI setup and the oil galley plug near the alternate is where the turbo gets its oil, so that is out of the picture (maybe). Sandwich plate is also iffy as I have the Forester XT OEM oil cooler.

I want to get the Innovate dual oil temp/pressure gauge but am not sure where to place the sensors.

I have seen people use sandwich plates with the XT OEM oil cooler...but it seems janky to me (but maybe I'm wrong and it's totally fine). Apparently some people also use the XT OEM oil cooler with an aftermarket air/oil cooler with an additional sandwich plate.

Another solution I tried to think of was to use the Killer B Dual Oil Sender Adapter in combination with a remote oil pressure sending kit placed at the stock oil pressure location. This would allow me to retain the stock pressure sensor (not that I'd really need it)

I would love to put the temperature sensor there and just forget the stock pressure sensor, but just based on images it looks like the temperature sensor is too long to fit into that adapter.

So if I went that route, I then don't know where to put the temperature sensor

One idea I had was to T off of galley plug so the turbo still gets oil from there, but the temperature sensor is mounted to the T directly?

Obviously I want to put both sensors in locations where they are going to provide the most accurate information. People say that Innovate says not to place the sensors too close to the stock temperature sensor, though I'm not sure why.

Thoughts/opinions?
If needing to know the oil temp is important to you, don't get the innovate dual gauge. It is hard to read and the accuracy of the bar graph is not very fine.

The pressure sending unit is pretty large and I would be concerned about putting it in place of the OE unit. I would use the remote mounting setup from fast WRX as you have linked.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
TheLaughingMan (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #60
TheLaughingMan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
If needing to know the oil temp is important to you, don't get the innovate dual gauge. It is hard to read and the accuracy of the bar graph is not very fine.

The pressure sending unit is pretty large and I would be concerned about putting it in place of the OE unit. I would use the remote mounting setup from fast WRX as you have linked.
I'm thinking now of using a sandwich plate for just the temperature and then using the KillerB + remote mounting setup at the stock oil pressure sensor location for pressure.

That sounds like it will give me the best readings (well, temperature would be better obtained from the pan...but it sounds like the next best is sandwich).