follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2015, 04:06 AM   #1
Lync

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New FR-S Owner! A few questions, eager to learn

Hey everyone,
I am now a proud owner of a 2014 ultramarine Scion FR-S A.K.A Nightshade . Got it from a dealer with 2k miles for 23K out the door (good deal?). I've read a lot of things on this forum and on the FT86 subreddit and I'd like to ask some questions to get answers/opinions if its not against the rules!

1. Winter Tires

Let me preface this question with my experience. I am new to driving manual and this is my first RWD car.

I've done some snooping and I have decided that I definitely want some winter tires. I live in Northern VA where its hard to predict what the weather will be like. One day its 80 degrees in winter, the next day its snowing in April. For what its worth, My main commuting is to and from work, and my route has some decent hills along the way. Nothing major, but I am definitely concerned about them being that I'm so new to this type of driving experience. Heck, even now in the fall my tires spin a lot when I start from a stop... might be because I'm a newb at MT

My big question is which tire should I buy.

So far for winter tires I've narrowed them down to these:
Blizzak LM-32
Blizzak WS80
Michelin X-Ice Xi3

From what I can tell the WS80 and Xi3 seem to be very similar so I am probably going to get which one is cheaper.

The LM-32s offers less traction but offers some more performance so better acceleration / handling? I've also read that winter tires can wear out pretty quickly so I'm assuming if I go with the LM-32s they would last longer which is the only reason I would choose these over the others.

In my area, usually if there is snow we get maybe 2-3 inches, however last winter we got many days of 5+ inches. Snow is usually plowed next day so realistically I'll only be driving on plowed snow / mush. Also there's a chance we might not get a lot of snow, but the roads may be icy, very cold (below freezing temps). My main concern would be the hills!

So what do you guys think? Which is the right tire for me? I'm learning towards the WS80/Xi3 because I want to avoid sliding as much as possible but I don't want to go overkill and get tires that only last 1 winter because it ends up never snowing...

2. Non-Winter tires

So now that we covered winter tires, time for the other seasons. I'm guessing all-season tires will work? Or should I just stick with my stock tires for the other season?

3. Clutch spring / Clutch adjustment
I've seen many threads about adjusting the clutch and removing the spring to have a better experience.

Like I mentioned, this is my first MT so I'm hesitant to fiddle with things but I want to know if this would make learning much easier? So far I'm doing ok with MT, usually 0-1 stalls every time drive. My shifting isn't very smooth yet though so I'm wondering if this change will help me with that aspect.

4. Tuning
So I've seen it suggested time and time again that one of the first things you should do is get your car tuned. I honestly have no idea what this means/entails but I can only assume it is done to give your car more power. Does tuning require getting hardware installed? Will tuning my car void the warranty? Are there different types of tunes or can I just go to any car shop and ask them for a tune? Also I'm guessing getting your car tuned is different than a tune-up at your local car shop?

Anyways I'm excited to join the FR-S/FT-86 community and can't wait to enjoy the car and eventually make some modifications to it! I'm sure these questions have been answered many times and I have spent the time reading through older posts. I guess its just easier for me to consolidate all my thoughts and hear your opinions on my specific situations. Thanks in advance to those who take the time to read my post and providing any feedback!
Lync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
1- Where you are located a performance winter tire is fine. If driving in deep snow or very cold temperatures stay away from them. Any of the tires you listed will work well for you.

2 - Use up the stock tires and research what else is out there while you do it. This will give you some seat time to allow you to judge exactly what you want in a tire. There are many choices.

3 - If doing fine with the way it is then leave things alone. The guys that have the issues are frequently just more used to a heavier clutch and that is why they make the changes. Don't make changes just for the sake of making changes if you are happy the way it is.

4 - Tuning is a way to get more power if you want it. Just doing a tune on a fully stock engine however will not result in enough change to warrant the costs. Drive it as it is and do some research on headers, exhausts and drop in filters. Once you understand how they all work together then you can start looking at tuning possibilities. Just keep in mind that as the level of engine mods increase the reliability of the car goes down(although some guy that can keep on top of their own stuff have few issues).

Read up here and many of your questions will be answered: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96158
Cole (10-19-2015), humfrz (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
What he said.

The more you drive the better your shifting will be.
Try to be smooth when shifting. It's not all about quick shifting.
Shift slowly. Get a feel when the clutch engages and when it doesn't. Then add gas and go.

If you have to ask about "tuning", don't do it. Drive stock for a year let it grow on you then decide if you want more power or not.

Sometimes this car is not meant for everyone.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Ammunition (10-19-2015), Cole (10-19-2015), new2subaru (10-19-2015), Tcoat (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Don't make any adjustments without understanding the consequences in terms of real-world feel.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #5
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
What he said.

The more you drive the better your shifting will be.
Try to be smooth when shifting. It's not all about quick shifting.
Shift slowly. Get a feel when the clutch engages and when it doesn't. Then add gas and go.

If you have to ask about "tuning", don't do it. Drive stock for a year let it grow on you then decide if you want more power or not.

Sometimes this car is not meant for everyone.
In regards to the last point, what does that even mean?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Lync

Thanks for the answers. Can anyone comment on the durability of the tires? I think I'm going to go with the WS80s but if it ends up never snowing will I wear them out in 1 winter season?
Old 10-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lync View Post
Hey everyone,
I am now a proud owner of a 2014 ultramarine Scion FR-S A.K.A Nightshade . Got it from a dealer with 2k miles for 23K out the door (good deal?). I've read a lot of things on this forum and on the FT86 subreddit and I'd like to ask some questions to get answers/opinions if its not against the rules!
1. Winter Tires

--No idea.

2. Non-Winter tires

So now that we covered winter tires, time for the other seasons. I'm guessing all-season tires will work? Or should I just stick with my stock tires for the other season?

--Yes, stick with stock unless you are going for spirited driving. Once winter starts approaching, then swap.

3. Clutch spring / Clutch adjustment
I've seen many threads about adjusting the clutch and removing the spring to have a better experience.

--Better experience? Get new clutch, lighter flywheel...etc

or... stick with stock. It's amazing. Just takes about 2k-20k from what I read here from members to get used to. Mine took 6k miles. I still stall here and there and jerk on 1st to 2nd. Depends on my mood and how I feel. Or, if i'm paying attention.

Like I mentioned, this is my first MT so I'm hesitant to fiddle with things but I want to know if this would make learning much easier?

--Oh... then leave it alone. All car clutches are different. They feel different even if same car model. L2Drive first before messing with it.

Learn to drive it without any distractions, then add distractions like loud music and a/c on. But of course, slowly. Don't always go by your rpm's. Learn to shift by hearing your engine and feeling it. Lately, I been shifting 3-5th without clutch. I can't get 2nd and 6th.

4. Tuning
So I've seen it suggested time and time again that one of the first things you should do is get your car tuned.

--No. Leave it alone until you become one with your car and understand it as it is. IMO.

Tuning here and there's more scattered. Just dig a bit.

Quote:
Thanks for the answers. Can anyone comment on the durability of the tires? I think I'm going to go with the WS80s but if it ends up never snowing will I wear them out in 1 winter season?
Concerning stock tire durability. I now have 22k on them. They look 90% if not better. No issues. They do tend to like to slide a bit when wet or dusty so just be careful. Then again, it's due to my driving.... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
In regards to the last point, what does that even mean?
@Cole

I think he is basically saying that before OP pours $$$ and time...etc into his car, to first make sure he will keep it, to make sure it is the car he wants, to make sure that he is pleased with his car. We know blah blah why should he care if its not his car?.... blah blah. Well... its just blind advice. OP can take it or not, that's op's decision. Better to consider the advice, learn the car..etc now, than later regret having mods you spent time and money on. ...or crashing it because it was too much of a car. haha

Old 10-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
As long as it's not about 45F for extended periods of time this winter, it should last at least two seasons. High temperatures are hard on winter tires. Lack of precipitation is fine.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #9
Lync

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
As long as it's not about 45F for extended periods of time this winter, it should last at least two seasons. High temperatures are hard on winter tires. Lack of precipitation is fine.
Ok thanks, btw noticed that your location is also NOVA? Did you have your 86 last winter? If so how was it, which tires were you riding with?
Old 10-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #10
Lync

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post

Concerning stock tire durability. I now have 22k on them. They look 90% if not better. No issues. They do tend to like to slide a bit when wet or dusty so just be careful. Then again, it's due to my driving.... lol

I meant winter tire durability since I hear they wear out quickly, but thanks. Good to know the stock tires last a while, I might just keep them however I also slide a lot and I've only had my car for a week. Maybe its also due to my driving...
Old 10-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I meant winter tire durability since I hear they wear out quickly, but thanks. Good to know the stock tires last a while, I might just keep them however I also slide a lot and I've only had my car for a week. Maybe its also due to my driving...
I usually get 3 or 4 seasons out of snows but once it gets cold here it stays that way.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #12
jawn

Quote:
Ok thanks, btw noticed that your location is also NOVA? Did you have your 86 last winter? If so how was it, which tires were you riding with?
Didn't have it last winter, so I don't know how it drives in the snow yet. I've driven other, significantly older RWD cars in the snow before, and it's fine with winter tires and caution.

There is a review thread on winter tires here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24037
Old 10-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #13
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey everyone,
I am now a proud owner of a 2014 ultramarine Scion FR-S ...........
HELLO @Lync and WELCOME to ..... The Forum and FR-S ownership ....

The winter climate in NOVA sounds sort of like around here. So, what I do for tires is to run "all-season" tires in the winter and the OEM tires in the summer.

Around here, when it snows hard (4-6"), I just keep my FR-S off the roads, because, even if I had a big ol 4-wheel drive vehicle, all the idiots that don't know how to drive on snow, clog up the roads.

As far as the clutch, I'd suggest you just leave it alone .... you'll get the hang of it.

In reference to a "tune" ...... IMHO, there ain't nutten wrong with the way the stock engine is tuned ..... so, just don't mess with it.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
jawn

Also, there's a bi-weekly meet in Fairfax, if you want to talk cars and throw darts.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39506