follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
I wouldn't do springs simply so you can get more camber...you don't gain much up front from that. You do get some in the rear.

IMO the milder the drop the better for springs on stock struts if performance is the goal. The front of the car is travel challenged and if you lower the car an inch on the SOFT rates that everyone else uses you will be cornering on the bumpstop. The spring rates of the bumpstops make the system progressive in a bad way...spiking the wheel rate and causing sudden understeer in certain situations. Bonus with ours is the replacement shortened bumpstops.

Some of the springs out there are just way way soft up front.

IMO the milder drop with firmer front rates works well to keep the front in a better place geometrically.

Our springs are function first. No, it's not a 4-way hydraulic bumpstop motorsport coilover competitor, but it's a solid improvement to handling that improves front grip AND keeps the rear end stable. Fun, fast, and predicatable. Win-win-win.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
solidONE (06-28-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #16
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I ran SoW in the morning session with the rear sway unhooked. The result was exactly what I expected. I would mash the throttle mid corner and the tail would stay stuck. Did a 1:43 while learning the track. I thought this wasn't bad for the beginning session and I fully expected to shave at least 10 seconds off of that just as I shaved 12 seconds off my morning session time at BW. Following session I hooked the rear sway back up just to see the difference. Sure enough, I spun off the track on turn 10 applying the throttle like I did when I had the rear sway bar off and did some off road driving.

For whatever reason (probably because of the squishy feeling of the rear with the sway bar detached) I decided not to unhook the rear sway again and had Mike drive the car in a later session. He was carrying way more speed into the turns and pretty much had the throttle pinned through most if not all the turns. I felt the tail did come out a tad, but never it lost traction not even a chirp from the tires. Obviously there is something I'm doing different with the car mid corner than Mike. He decided it was my steering input. While I don't doubt that, I thought I was very deliberate with being smooth with the steering input. Of course I was not as aggressive with the brakes and carrying much less speed into and through the turns compared to Mike. Great driving @CSG Mike BTW and thanks! I was honestly more confused after having ridden with Mike and hearing his feedback about my car. There was no way I was going to duplicate the pace he went at so I was unsure how I was going apply what I saw him do with my car.

It was so hot at the track, hitting 114 degrees at one point, that I had no recorded data from my Harry's lap timer at all to study. iPhone was overheated the entire time on the track. I was only able to hit 1:39.2 as my fastest lap. a good 4-5 seconds off from my goal for today. I was fully expecting to go under 1:35.... rather disappointing day at the track today, plus the heat felt like shit, really hot shit. Plus side, I met some fellow 86ers at the track. Bunch of cool cats. :happy0180:
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote