follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #71
EarlQHan

Drives: Subarus
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shit Luck View Post
i think the rear trailing arms are adjustable to change anti-squat. not positive but that is what i have always known it as.
It also changes wheelbase. The longer the arm, the longer the wheel base. Very minor changes will have a substantial effect as to how the car rotates.

I just want to very publicly say, Jeff you guys are doing the community a service. Please keep up the good work and best of luck to you.
EarlQHan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EarlQHan For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (04-17-2013), Jeff@Racer X Fab (04-18-2013), Shit Luck (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #72
Shit Luck

Drives: red frs
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlQHan View Post
It also changes wheelbase. The longer the arm, the longer the wheel base. Very minor changes will have a substantial effect as to how the car rotates.

I just want to very publicly say, Jeff you guys are doing the community a service. Please keep up the good work and best of luck to you.
i didnt even think about the wheel base, missed the simple one in the group of adjustments.
Shit Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #73
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlQHan View Post
Aaaarrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!
So many variables!!!

@racerx1715 Trailing arms weren't on my shopping list. Could you please tell me the practical difference between your street and race trailing arms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1715 View Post
We finished the toe links a couple weeks ago with the adjustable rear control arms, adjustable trailing arms, and rear end links.
The toe links don't appear to be on your website

Last edited by Captain Snooze; 04-17-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #74
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Loving the upper control arm, is it a pain to adjust on car... if at all possible or would you have to remove the wheels?

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #75
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Toyota MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Aaaarrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!
So many variables!!!

@racerx1715 Trailing arms weren't on my shopping list. Could you please tell me the practical difference between your street and race trailing arms?

The toe links don't appear to be on your website
The main difference between the street version and race version is application. The street version is just that, not meant for racing as its a smaller diameter but is lighter. The street version will more than likely be replaced with an updated version and have urethane bushings instead of the rod end.

Toe link, front control arms, rear upper control arms, and latest version of lower control arms will be added to the site soon. We have the toe link and front control arms available for sale and if you are interested feel free to PM, we have them in stock and ready to ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarGC View Post
Loving the upper control arm, is it a pain to adjust on car... if at all possible or would you have to remove the wheels?
It wouldn't be possible to adjust on car currently. To retain the OEM clearances and have on car adjustability would be difficult. I can say it is fairly simple to make adjustments.
Jeff@Racer X Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #76
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The street version will more than likely be replaced with an updated version and have urethane bushings instead of the rod end.
Sounds good to me.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #77
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
@racerx1715 Status of arms with poly bushes and price? Feel free to PM.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #78
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Curious to know what your opinion on using the heim joints on a street car is @racerx1715.
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #79
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have some general questions as a non-engineer

1. Why make them so thick (and thus heavy), it is my understanding that the control arms should be designed to be the first to go in the event of a serious crash, making repairs cheaper. Why not take a Chapman approach, make them as light as possible before they break to save on weight?
2. Is there really a need for those weld-in plates for reinforcements? Why is the front a-arm not fully triangulated, if all attachment points are spherical (no compliance) why bother welding in an extra plate, does it really bear a load?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #80
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
@racerx1715 Status of arms with poly bushes and price? Feel free to PM.
I should be able to provide a pic of the lower control arm with poly bushings tonight. The lower rear control arm, upper control arm, front lower control arm, and trailing arms will be available with the poly bushings as an option instead of the the rod end.

We also currently have the front lower control arm completely adjustable on vehicle. We are still investigating the possibility of making the rear upper control arms adjustable on vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
Curious to know what your opinion on using the heim joints on a street car is @racerx1715.
I personally have used them on the street, they do increase NVH. I would suggest using rubber boots or protection caps. There is a noticable difference in handling over urethane or the OEM bushings. Would this matter on the street, probably not if you operating your vehicle safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
I have some general questions as a non-engineer

1. Why make them so thick (and thus heavy), it is my understanding that the control arms should be designed to be the first to go in the event of a serious crash, making repairs cheaper. Why not take a Chapman approach, make them as light as possible before they break to save on weight?
2. Is there really a need for those weld-in plates for reinforcements? Why is the front a-arm not fully triangulated, if all attachment points are spherical (no compliance) why bother welding in an extra plate, does it really bear a load?
You have very good points, and I would consider them engineering based.

1) We use thicker tube for suspension pieces for the purpose of safety. They do increase weight, I personally have seen failure with less. Could we make them weigh less, yes. Are we willing to push those limits and saftey on to the customer, no. Usually OEM manufactures have 3 years to develop a vehicle before start of production. Aftermarket gets considerably less, due to this it causes many parts to be over built and in our case continually refined as time goes on.

2) We add the reinforcement plates to eliminate flex in the plane, not primary load bearing. The front control arms are not triangulated to provide similar steering clearances to the OEM arm, slightly better. You will also see why they are not completely triangulated in the updated arm design. We usually have several design iterations and let the community push it in the direction they see fit. The most common request we get is to have all components adjustable on the car.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #81
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
We also currently have the front lower control arm completely adjustable on vehicle. We are still investigating the possibility of making the rear upper control arms adjustable on vehicle.
Interested in either option. I understand the UCA is the better option, but LCAs are easy and if they have poly I want them. Am I going to need the toe arms? Not going for much adjustment...just want to fix camber from lowering.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #82
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Why is there constantly more stuff coming out for this car? People, I have my Mitsubishi which is supposed to be my primary toy... You're making harder to put money into that one...
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #83
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Here is the rear lower control arm with the urethane bushings. The bushing end will be zinc plated black. The rod end we use for the rear lower control arms and the urethane bushing we make are interchangeable. If you decide to change your mind and want to go with the urethane bushing or rod end you will only need to purchase that instead of the whole control arm set.

We will be making the front lower control arms, rear upper control arms, and trailing arms with the option to use rod ends or urethane bushings.

I also have included our updated front lower control arm, these are completely adjustable on the car. We also offer the option of the OEM ball joint or using our RCA adjustment. The arms shown are in process and are not welded yet, or show the brace.

If you are interested in purchasing parts feel free to email me at info@racerxfabrication.com or PM. We are in the middle of getting our website updated with all of the suspension parts, and updated parts we already have listed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff@Racer X Fab For This Useful Post:
eckoflyte (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #84
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
I should have ordered 3 RacerX rear lca. 2 to go on the car and 1 for me to fondle at my desk. They look awesome!!
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lower control arms, racer x fabrication, rear toe links, trailing arms, upper control arms