follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #43
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
For now I'm very happy, I only ever wish I had more power when I play forza and look at shiny parts online. But in reality I giggle like a little girl when I drive my car, I hope you do too when you eventually get all your parts on! Oh and for what it's worth I came to this platform from a 400whp JDM STI swapped saabaru, this car is way more fun in current form

But SC is a pipe dream right now, I have other financial things to take care of that are way more important. Like preparing to separate from the usaf in three years, and: have money in the bank for an engagement ring, whenever that happens... because love shouldn't be on a credit card lol

In the mean time with spare cash I'll build the car to be ready for FI though. Gauges, cooling, clutch, brakes etc.
Definitely hear you about the engagement ring. My bank account took a hit on that, but it's true what they say, happy wife is happy life. Or something like that lol.

I'm still dreaming about a JRSC down the line. We'll see though, for now hoping I'll be happy NA.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
VacantSky (10-02-2014)
Old 01-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #44
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert@Openflash View Post
With all the parts you have on the car and BPB, if you had a tune with our dedicated map for the bpb you will notice a great overall improvement in performance.

Cheers.

Do we just use the tune edits shiv suggested in one of his posts for BPB?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #45
Imranman

Drives: 1991 Acura NSX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is probably a hella stupid question, but how the flip do you get the fuel rail cover back on on the driver side after installing these, for the life of me I can't snake it back in place to install. I'm contemplating removing the strut bar in order to get it in, any tips?
Imranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #46
BOND007_LTK

Drives: 2013 brz
Where are the latest tunes for the Bpb for the different stages and with/without e85?

Last tuning map changes for the bpb was a post I found 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert@Openflash View Post
With all the parts you have on the car and BPB, if you had a tune with our dedicated map for the bpb you will notice a great overall improvement in performance.

Cheers.
BOND007_LTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:17 AM   #47
BOND007_LTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
They can be beneficial for a daily driver, but since the power falls off faster at the top end of the RPM band, you'd essentially short shift 500RPM short of redline.

Zero drawbacks, mine was the first to have them installed and I've put a ton of miles on my car with multiple track events under my belt.

-alex
Finally someone sho understand my thinking. If the power band is shifted to left 500 rpm AND you get more gains 7k and below, what's wrong with shifting earlier? Save some engine life too no?
Old 08-16-2018, 02:41 AM   #48
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOND007_LTK View Post
Where are the latest tunes for the Bpb for the different stages and with/without e85?

Quote:
Finally someone sho understand my thinking. If the power band is shifted to left 500 rpm AND you get more gains 7k and below, what's wrong with shifting earlier? Save some engine life too no?

Why are you bringing back old threads from the dead all over the forum.....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 08-16-2018, 03:02 AM   #49
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
From dyno results posted around here, you get a pretty beefy upper mid bump with a very minimal top end sacrifice once retuned

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #50
BOND007_LTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Why are you bringing back old threads from the dead all over the forum.....
Because that was 4 years ago as mentioned? It's a legitimate question with no response even from the makers themselves.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:31 AM   #51
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
From dyno results posted around here, you get a pretty beefy upper mid bump with a very minimal top end sacrifice once retuned

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Because that was 4 years ago as mentioned? It's a legitimate question with no response even from the makers themselves.

Because crawford is no longer a sponsor on this forum

The BPBs are a waste of money, you can tune it to try and assuage the torque dip but headers ended up being a better bang for the buck mod.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #52
bfrank1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Because crawford is no longer a sponsor on this forum

The BPBs are a waste of money, you can tune it to try and assuage the torque dip but headers ended up being a better bang for the buck mod.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1784663

Yeah, that looks like a terrible waste of money...
Old 08-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #53
PuslarBrrrz

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1784663

Yeah, that looks like a terrible waste of money...

Right. I had these with a proper tune for them and the jump in torque is super obvious when driving the car, like why didn't it come from the factory like this obvious.
PuslarBrrrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #54
Scala

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuslarBrrrz View Post
Right. I had these with a proper tune ....
Please explain the "proper tune". I could be interested but as a stand alone without any other modifications and only if an Ecutek License,Tune and Dyno is not required.
Thank you.
Scala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #55
bfrank1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post
Please explain the "proper tune". I could be interested but as a stand alone without any other modifications and only if an Ecutek License,Tune and Dyno is not required.
Thank you.
Well "proper tune" is important for just about any significant modification to an engine system. Otherwise you're missing out on power (best case scenario) and possibly increasing risk for engine problems (worst case scenario).

That said, you'll feel a difference by adding BPB's on an otherwise stock car. Not ideal (just like adding headers without a tune), but you'll feel a difference. You'll see a noticeable increase in torque 5000 rpm to about 6800 rpm, and a drop in torque beyond 6800. Essentially they are re-tuning intake resonance and shifting/compressing the torque curve across a slightly lower RPM range. With no other changes, you are essentially sacrificing the very top rpm power range for a meatier mid-range.

Thing is, with a custom tune that takes the BPB's in to account, you can re-gain most of the lost power in the upper RPM range. When the power curve shifts to lower RPM, volumetric efficiency above 6800 RPM decreases, and cylinder pressures are lower in that upper range. Because of this, there's more opportunity for ignition advance and fuel mixture optimization, and you can recoup most of the lost power above 6800 while keeping the fatter mid-range provided by the BPB's.

Edit: By the way, there are less expensive options for running these an other mods (i.e. headers) other than full ecutek, license, dyno time (expensive). You can get an OFT, take the off-the-shelf tunes, and tweak them per Shiv's instructions (in a post somewhere on this forum) for the BPB's with fairly good results. It's not as good as an ecutek with full custom dyno tune of course, but it's better than not running any tune at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (11-10-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #56
Scala

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Thank you @bfrank, I do understand quite well the need for tunes whenever a car's engine is modified.

My question is to @PuslarBrrrz as to what "kind" of tunes he employed and if his car contained other modifications. I am asking because I do not wish to modify the exhaust system nor do I wish to spend $1K + on an Ecutek tune.

BTW since you mention OFT it would appear, if many angry clients on Miata boards can be trusted, that the company has ceased communicating with their clients and that support for the product is no longer available.

Thank you.
Scala is offline   Reply With Quote