follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
420zn6
Pothead

Drives: Dark grey GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
changing from 2015 jdm gt86 headlights to frs headlights

Hello,

I am planning to go from jdm gt86 headlights to scion frs headlights, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and i prefer the look of the frs headlights compared to the jdm 86 headlights. In my personal opinion drls are useless and turn signals are more important lol.

If i recall correctly the scion frs uses halogen bulbs and the gt86 uses HIDs. Would it be possible to just swap the gt86 HIDs into the scion frs headlight housings ?

Another question i have is if its just plug and play or would i have to do some wiring to make it work?

Thanks,
Kevin
420zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #2
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The turn signals are still in the bumper, only the BRZ has indicators in the headlight. The FR-S projector housings are not directly compatible with HIDs, so no you shouldn't just swap them over. You could, but it wouldn't be very nice to on-coming drivers. I'd imagine the wiring harness is a bit different due to the different DRL types and HID, but IIRC on the BRZ it's 6 wires on halogen and 8 wires for HID.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
420zn6
Pothead

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
The turn signals are still in the bumper, only the BRZ has indicators in the headlight. The FR-S projector housings are not directly compatible with HIDs, so no you shouldn't just swap them over. You could, but it wouldn't be very nice to on-coming drivers. I'd imagine the wiring harness is a bit different due to the different DRL types and HID, but IIRC on the BRZ it's 6 wires on halogen and 8 wires for HID.
well i plan on getting some innovated dynamics brake vents which would completely remove the tiny turn signals which are barely visible anyways lol, i will also lose my foglights though so i will need really bright headlights, preferably hids like the ones i currently have on my 86 or even brighter bulbs.
would it be possible to reroute the wiring from those tiny turn signals into the frs highbeams and use them as turn signals instead? but then again will i lose function of the frs highbeams? Or does the projectors from the gt86 hids work as both low beam and high beams sorry for being a noob lol.

I don't mind annoying oncoming drivers (yes i know i'm not a nice person lol) but i live in indonesia where we lack road lights so i need bright headlights for my own safety.
Attached Images

Last edited by 420zn6; 12-14-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
running the wiring from the stock turns to the FRS drl location would not be very difficult, but will require some extension probably. bulb sizing might get interesting. prob easiest just to wire up your own conversion harness from the stock turn harness to the headlight location/bulb size. I think the headlight drl is an h11. You'll have to look it up anyways. to maintain the GT86 projector setup with low beam and high beam in the same projector you'd prob do best just retrofitting bi-xenon projectors into an FRS housing. it's not terribly difficult but is somewhat time consuming. if you retrofit the projector just use the stock wiring harnesses and HIDs, and then run the turn signals up to what is the FRS DRL/Highbeam location.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420zn6 View Post
.. I don't mind annoying oncoming drivers (yes i know i'm not a nice person lol) but i live in indonesia where we lack road lights so i need bright headlights for my own safety.
It's not "annoying" drivers. It's "blinding them" & increasing probability of them crashing. I hope at least crashing into you and killing in process, not on something outside road, so you don't get out safe of doing crime by willingly doing dangerous to other drivers mod. And i also hope that after crash insurance company will jail technical inspector who passed your car in vehicle inspection as road legal thus is also guilty in helping murder.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:36 AM   #6
420zn6
Pothead

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
running the wiring from the stock turns to the FRS drl location would not be very difficult, but will require some extension probably. bulb sizing might get interesting. prob easiest just to wire up your own conversion harness from the stock turn harness to the headlight location/bulb size. I think the headlight drl is an h11. You'll have to look it up anyways. to maintain the GT86 projector setup with low beam and high beam in the same projector you'd prob do best just retrofitting bi-xenon projectors into an FRS housing. it's not terribly difficult but is somewhat time consuming. if you retrofit the projector just use the stock wiring harnesses and HIDs, and then run the turn signals up to what is the FRS DRL/Highbeam location.
Thanks for the info man. The turn signal wiring probably wouldn't be that difficult and the work would be done by a shop anyways so they'll work that out. For the headlight projectors i'll end up with retrofitting bi-xenon projectors into the FRS housing. Again thanks for the info man
Old 12-15-2016, 12:40 AM   #7
420zn6
Pothead

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
It's not "annoying" drivers. It's "blinding them" & increasing probability of them crashing. I hope at least crashing into you and killing in process, not on something outside road, so you don't get out safe of doing crime by willingly doing dangerous to other drivers mod. And i also hope that after crash insurance company will jail technical inspector who passed your car in vehicle inspection as road legal thus is also guilty in helping murder.
Thanks for reminding me, safety first as always. but damn bro i dont want to die yet lol. Anyways thanks for the brutal reality check.
The Following User Says Thank You to 420zn6 For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (12-16-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 03:04 AM   #8
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You'll need to replace the projector if you want to retain High beams. You need this.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...cion-gt86.html

Then you can work on changing the DRL to turn signals. Easiest way to do that would probably be to keep the stock harness and modify the DRL bulb housing to fit a different size bulb.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:37 AM   #9
420zn6
Pothead

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlikeahole View Post
You'll need to replace the projector if you want to retain High beams. You need this.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...cion-gt86.html

Then you can work on changing the DRL to turn signals. Easiest way to do that would probably be to keep the stock harness and modify the DRL bulb housing to fit a different size bulb.
so i would need the bi-xenon projectors and rq brackets/hardware? will i need to get new HID bulbs and ballasts or could i re-use the ones from my gt86 headlights?

thanks for the info and again sorry for being a noob lol
Old 12-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #10
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420zn6 View Post
so i would need the bi-xenon projectors and rq brackets/hardware? will i need to get new HID bulbs and ballasts or could i re-use the ones from my gt86 headlights?

thanks for the info and again sorry for being a noob lol

Im not sure to be honest, I think those projectors are designed to fit standard bulbs or aftermarket HID. However there might be a way to fit your stock bulbs. If I were doing this I would just order then projectors then see what I could do.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote