follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
Nostalgia1987

Drives: Subi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Town Toyota is the folks just off Shepperton road isnt it? Keep us updated with how everything unfolds, if they are a decent dealership i might go there myself.

Just waiting out here to what Subaru Austalia is doing. BRZ is more on my mind, but if that doesnt go the way i would like it to, ill go with a GT86.
Nostalgia1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #16
sirus
86 Owner

Drives: White GTS 86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgia1987 View Post
New Town Toyota is the folks just off Shepperton road isnt it? Keep us updated with how everything unfolds, if they are a decent dealership i might go there myself.

Just waiting out here to what Subaru Austalia is doing. BRZ is more on my mind, but if that doesnt go the way i would like it to, ill go with a GT86.
New Town Toyota is on Welshpool Rd (Vic Park end).
I'll be back in town Tuesday week so i'll pay them a visit a day or two after. I'll let you know

There was an article in The West Motoring section last weekend about the BRZ. Apparently the head honcho was going to say No because it isn't AWD, but then after he drove it he had was contemplating bringing it over. Also the whole not being front wheel drive helped... So lets see what happens.
sirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #17
Nostalgia1987

Drives: Subi
Know where it is now, just nearby the railroad crossing. When im near that area ill be sure to give that place a visit, ask a few questions.

I read last weekends West Motoring section also, had the pic of the prototype BRZ with the black rear wing, short discussion with what might happen in the near future. I am feeling discretely confident that Subaru Australia will release the BRZ here, and that the car would be progressively integrated into the Subaru line up, being sure not to disturb the Subaru All4theDrive philosophy that Nick Senior is so worried about. It will be good for the consumers here if the BRZ gets released, means the pricing between the two brands will be kept at a reasonable price.

Im going to see how the next month, then next six months pan out, make my decision in time. Im veering more towards a white BRZ, manual of course.
Nostalgia1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
FT-86GOD
Senior Rocket Bunny

Drives: 1982 XX KE70
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Toyota TRD 86... Forever...
FT-86GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #19
JFC

Drives: 2015 86, 2015 Evo X
Never brought a new car till now (sorry when the 86 is released)

Can someone with experience or better yet a former salesman give us all hints on the best possible way to buy a new car.

I know 2 local Toyota's places that would probably be the better place compared to the rest.

But i mean im Near Newcastle, would their be an advantage going to Sydney for example.

As always, any help appreciated.
JFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #20
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Drives: AE86 & depressing SUV
That's a good topic actually... anyone have some hints on getting good deals? Preferably from ex-salesmen?

I know that other than model changes, usually some of the best times to get deals are at the end of the calendar month. This is because the dealership usually has targets set (and numbers submitted).

Also helps to give the impression that you're happy to walk away at any time, because the second that they think you're sold, they stop negotiating. Usually their tactic is to make you agree that you intend to make a purchase before even hitting the negotiating stage (in my experience), which really does put the buyer on the back foot.

You're more likely to be able to get dealership fitted accessories rather than them dropping the price. Floor mats, protectors, mag wheels are all things that are pretty easy to get added on because there's virtually no labour involved.

Even though they're going to make it very hard (to the point of trying to make you feel guilty), definitely go around to a number of dealerships and try and get their best offer. They're probably going to be a bit hesitant to reveal their hand before you commit to going with them, but at the end of the day you can always walk away. Once you can get one to cave in and negotiate with you, without a purchase, then it's going to make it a lot easier for you to talk to other dealers as you've got some ammo.

I think also it helps a LOT if before you go to the dealerships, you write down exactly what you want in the car. This is for every kind of option, from extended warranty to accessories. Next to every accessory, write down what you definitely want, what you'd like but don't need, and what you're not interested in at all (even rank them by number if you're keen). Give this to the dealer so that they can add in as much as they can, because they'll know what they can add as a value-add without costing them too much. When showing them this, make sure you mention that you'll need it back so you can talk to other dealers about these options too (they're going to know you're keen when they see this, but it's going to be a better deal for everyone when they see it).
PuGZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #21
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuGZoR View Post
That's a good topic actually... anyone have some hints on getting good deals? Preferably from ex-salesmen?

I know that other than model changes, usually some of the best times to get deals are at the end of the calendar month. This is because the dealership usually has targets set (and numbers submitted).

Also helps to give the impression that you're happy to walk away at any time, because the second that they think you're sold, they stop negotiating. Usually their tactic is to make you agree that you intend to make a purchase before even hitting the negotiating stage (in my experience), which really does put the buyer on the back foot.

You're more likely to be able to get dealership fitted accessories rather than them dropping the price. Floor mats, protectors, mag wheels are all things that are pretty easy to get added on because there's virtually no labour involved.

Even though they're going to make it very hard (to the point of trying to make you feel guilty), definitely go around to a number of dealerships and try and get their best offer. They're probably going to be a bit hesitant to reveal their hand before you commit to going with them, but at the end of the day you can always walk away. Once you can get one to cave in and negotiate with you, without a purchase, then it's going to make it a lot easier for you to talk to other dealers as you've got some ammo.

I think also it helps a LOT if before you go to the dealerships, you write down exactly what you want in the car. This is for every kind of option, from extended warranty to accessories. Next to every accessory, write down what you definitely want, what you'd like but don't need, and what you're not interested in at all (even rank them by number if you're keen). Give this to the dealer so that they can add in as much as they can, because they'll know what they can add as a value-add without costing them too much. When showing them this, make sure you mention that you'll need it back so you can talk to other dealers about these options too (they're going to know you're keen when they see this, but it's going to be a better deal for everyone when they see it).
Thanks Pugz some good points there.

I have been stung once with the "commitment to purchase before negotiate" from a car yard, i wont name names but me and the missus got taken too the dry cleaners hard core, assholes.

Anyways lessons learnt is knowledge gained i guess.

My main concern is and i know its wishful thinking but i aim to get the base price down.

1* Depending on what the factory fitted stereo is but i don't wont it,
2* Give me steel wheels not alloys, ill get my own.
3* I dont wont cruise control i may not have a choice in that thou.
4* Ill add in TRD adjustable suspension
5* Most likely get seat covers and tint.

The first 3 are the main ones, base price in theory should be lower, i don't want them and they don't need add $$ for warranty as i don't have them.

I do actually know someone that works at Sydney City Parts perhaps i need to call him up.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:16 AM   #22
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The best time to buy is always the end of financial year.

End of mth works if u have finance/cash ready as it takes a few days to a week (or even more) to arrange finance plus a few days for the finance company to arrange fund.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:23 AM   #23
Nardi330

Usually the general rule is unless the friend is really a good friend who will look after you. It's probably better to try somewhere else so u get a feel how much discount u will get. Then ask the friend to go better.

Also do NOT buy any dealer fitted accessories if they can be done from aftermarket. The biggest ones are window tints and paint protection. They are rip offs and dealer is only trying to regain some of the discount already given you. If its factory options (eg leather trim, HID, Sunroof etc) then obviously u have no choice.

Navigation/head units/speakers etc are better off getting aftermarket as well. U get better stuff at a cheaper price.

Also try to sell your old car privately than trade in.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #24
JFC

Plus i remember ready something about the car isn't officially sold untill you take delivery of it. Does that sound right to any one.

I plan to use Toyota finance for the remaining monies owing as ill have a trade in. So they'll get monies back out of me anyways. But ill suss out other deals in the mean time.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #25
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Drives: AE86 & depressing SUV
Car is sold when paper is signed and a deposit is taken. Until then you can walk away at any time, don't let them guilt you into thinking otherwise!

Another thing is that if they're matching supply with demand (as in they're getting as many units as they can from Japan and getting rid of them pretty quickly), then the chance of getting a decent discount is going to be bugger all from the manufacturer and you'll only be able to get the dealers to basically compete with each other on delivery cost.

Another thing dealerships love is if you tell them you're happy to get your car serviced with them too, as they make good money off servicing. With fixed price servicing these days from most dealerships, they're pretty good at competing with non-dealership mechanics now. Dealerships are more likely to implement service notes that might come out too (eg, checking of specific components that the manufacturer has concerns over prior to a recall notice). So there is an advantage of going with them, so if this is a real possibility for you I'd suggest putting this on the table as part of your side of the negotiation.
PuGZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #26
Nardi330

Car is not a sale until contract is unconditional. I always put in a subject to finance clause in and ask the dealer for a finance quote. I will also tell them I will get finance quote thur my bank as well. The reason I do that is I can cancel the contract if my finance falls through and get my contract cancelled and deposit returned. If u only get finance from the dealer and if they approved it then the finance clause no longer applies. I want to keep my option open even if I pay cash. U are likely to get more discount if they think u will get finance from them as they will get commission as well. I will only tell them my finance is fine when they can give me a VIN. U must not start your finance application with them. Only ask for a quote and tell them I would want to speak to my bank first.

Once I get my VIN (I ask them to supply that to me so I can get insurance) they have allocated a car to me and can't play tricks where they keep delaying delivery by saying the car is not here blah blah and in fact sell the cars to other customers who are willing to pay more for the car. U will be stuck and can't cancel the contract and go somewhere else. Another way is put in a delivery date clause (ie. must deliver by a certain date or contract cancelled). This wont work if u are ordering a car in)
Old 12-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #27
JFC

Cheers fellas, all good points, many thinking to be done i guess.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #28
armythug

Drives: Pegasus White 86GTS
Wow thanks for this information!!!
armythug is offline   Reply With Quote