follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #15
stokeless

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP Silver
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I agree with JazzleSAURUS ; I recently replaced my bald S-04's with a set of V12's as replacements and the difference is very noticeable. My next set of tires will be S-04's.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104432
Old 12-20-2016, 01:48 AM   #16
NLS8520

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
So I'm seeing a lot of misinformation on the S-04 in this thread. I currently run a set on my BRZ, I went through 2 on my Forester XT, (one set purely spirited DD, one set was autox'd on,) and on the FXT I upgraded to RE71R because I liked the S-04 so much, but I was simply making too much torque and could break them free at will.

The S-04 has one of the stiffest sidewalls for a tire in it's class, (Max performance Summer, NOT all season.) In fact, the sidewalls are stiffer than RS3's, a popular tire for track day cars. The slop in this tire, quite frankly, comes from the tread. With an very stiff sidewall, and slightly sloppier tread, you get forgiveness with precision, they balanced it between the two instead of a medium stiffness sidewall, and medium stiffness tread. (Tires like the PSS are more of a balance, medium and medium.)

The S-04's are very close to the PSS in terms of overall performance.
The RE760 are fairly close to the V12 in terms of overall performance, (a bit better.)

The S-04's are quiet, very reasonably priced, wear well, have great street manners, and absolutely excel in the wet.

The S-04 is a softer tread compound, and will be grippier than the RE760, (look at TW, this only means something because they are BOTH bridgestone tires, and not cheater tires like the RE71R.)

I hope that helps, you shouldn't be cross shopping these two tires. (It's like cross shopping a BRZ and a WRX. Either you want boosted AWD, or you want sporty RWD. They are NOT comparable even though they are both fun!)

The S-04 is in a performance bracket above the RE760. If you think the RE760, by all accounts should still be a great tire, you'd be better off cross shopping with something like the Hankook V12, which I think the RE760 is likely a scoshe better than for fun since the V12 has very soft sidewalls.

Let me know if you have more questions about the S-04, I have a lot of miles behind the wheel of them. (120k?)
Excellent post. Comparing the S-04 and PSS for this platform which is better in your opinion?
NLS8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:51 AM   #17
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
So I'm seeing a lot of misinformation on the S-04 in this thread. I currently run a set on my BRZ, I went through 2 on my Forester XT, (one set purely spirited DD, one set was autox'd on,) and on the FXT I upgraded to RE71R because I liked the S-04 so much, but I was simply making too much torque and could break them free at will.

The S-04 has one of the stiffest sidewalls for a tire in it's class, (Max performance Summer, NOT all season.) In fact, the sidewalls are stiffer than RS3's, a popular tire for track day cars. The slop in this tire, quite frankly, comes from the tread. With an very stiff sidewall, and slightly sloppier tread, you get forgiveness with precision, they balanced it between the two instead of a medium stiffness sidewall, and medium stiffness tread. (Tires like the PSS are more of a balance, medium and medium.)

The RE760 are fairly close to the V12 in terms of overall performance, (a bit better.)

The S-04's are quiet, very reasonably priced, wear well, have great street manners, and absolutely excel in the wet.

The S-04 is a softer tread compound, and will be grippier than the RE760, (look at TW, this only means something because they are BOTH bridgestone tires, and not cheater tires like the RE71R.)

I hope that helps, you shouldn't be cross shopping these two tires. (It's like cross shopping a BRZ and a WRX. Either you want boosted AWD, or you want sporty RWD. They are NOT comparable even though they are both fun!)

The S-04 is in a performance bracket above the RE760. If you think the RE760, by all accounts should still be a great tire, you'd be better off cross shopping with something like the Hankook V12, which I think the RE760 is likely a scoshe better than for fun since the V12 has very soft sidewalls.

Let me know if you have more questions about the S-04, I have a lot of miles behind the wheel of them. (120k?)

How'd you like the S-04's while autocrossing? Instructors told me my skills surpassed the limits of the stockers at my very last event, so I'm shopping. Plus, treads are getting low.

Not looking to set times or get first place, just have fun and learn new driving techniques. Also will be my all use tire (dd, spirited drives, auto-x and track) since I'm way to lazy to change the tires before and after each event.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #18
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS8520 View Post
Excellent post. Comparing the S-04 and PSS for this platform which is better in your opinion?
I genuinely think they are very close.

I think the S-04 is a bit more comfortable, and better in rain, I think the PSS is a bit more direct, and has a bit more communication.

I continue to run the S-04 because I view the tires as soooo close, and the price point on the S-04 is much better.

I run them at 37 PSI with great results, and even wear.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #19
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
How'd you like the S-04's while autocrossing? Instructors told me my skills surpassed the limits of the stockers at my very last event, so I'm shopping. Plus, treads are getting low.

Not looking to set times or get first place, just have fun and learn new driving techniques. Also will be my all use tire (dd, spirited drives, auto-x and track) since I'm way to lazy to change the tires before and after each event.
I think on the Forester XT with all the torque I had, I was simply outdriving them by a long shot. I was giving up a lot of time that was confirmed when a local let me 'try on' his set of RS3's and I picked up a repeatable 1.3 seconds.
I ended up with another .5 with the RE71R's at the next event.

On a lighter car where this tire is racking up miles, and hits the occasional autox event, the S-04 is great. In fact, bump the pressure and make it work. You'll like the tire. Once you start going to events back to back, or expect your tire to get some high mileage and hit the track, you're going to want dedicated rubber anyway. Since you are hitting the track, I'd say you may want to jump right to a tire like the RS3 so you don't overheat/chunk out the S-04. You'd see this behavior with the PSS too, FWIW.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #20
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

S-04 it is! Thank you very much! You answered everything I wanted to know

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #21
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
S-04 it is! Thank you very much! You answered everything I wanted to know
Great, I'm sure you'll enjoy them if you're coming from stocks and looking for a nice big upgrade that is still a nice tire to rack up mileage on.

I hope you like them as much as I've loved them.
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (12-20-2016)